What's new

kamisori .... miami style...

let me take you on a photo tour of my day ... i woke at 4am to be at work for 6am working a double shift till 10:30pm... it is a slow day here at the airport so i got bored *(i know... i have ADD or something).. anyway... i started cleaning my tool box and i found a piece of 01 tool steel laying there all neglected....

proxy.php

i felt bad for it so i decided to turn it into something nice....... but i didn't know what.... so i started grinding on it...

proxy.php

then inspiration struck.... i remember how much it sucked to use my little tiny kamisori because it gets lost in my big paw like hands... so i started more grinding...

proxy.php

proxy.php

it started at 12/8ths but i cut ~2/8ths off ...

proxy.php

and decided to use it to lengthen the handle.... i tig welded it into position.... and spent a bit of time getting the angle right for me.......

proxy.php

then i started the "clean up" by knocking off the edges and wire wheeling it into submission.....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

it is ~7" long 19/16ths at its widest and 9/8ths at the tip....

if fits my hand much better now... that is my vernier caliper for scale....

proxy.php

proxy.php

thanks for looking......

i will heat treat it as soon as i get to the other building where the torches are *(by the end of today)

and then i will hone it tonight/tomorrow...... i hope it works...

Brian

ok... back at my workshop...

my hightech HT area.... lol... took it to temp then a quick quench in oil.......

proxy.php

proxy.php

then wiped it off... gave it a quick buff on the wire wheel to get most of the crap off...

proxy.php

proxy.php

now it sits in the oven... @320 degrees... and i have to wait 2 hours to test it and see if i got it right... *(i will drag a file on it... if the file cuts... i re-do it till i get it right)......

proxy.php

Dude! This is pretty sick! I'm having a slow day at work, and all I can do is stare at this stupid computer and dream about having your job. . .

adjusted heat down to 275degrees... didn't like the color of the blade.... *(it was a darker "gold" than i care for...i prefer it more of a "straw"ish color)

:w00t:

my boss asked me "whatcha cooking"...

i said "i made a razor"...

he said "nice...." and walked off....

i love this place...

adjusted heat down to 275degrees... didn't like the color of the blade.... *(it was a darker "gold" than i care for...i prefer it more of a "straw"ish color)

:w00t:

my boss asked me "whatcha cooking"...

i said "i made a razor"...

he said "nice...." and walked off....

i love this place...

:ohmy: Are y'all hiring? I have some mechanical skill.....

ok... its out the oven... i tried to scratch it by dragging a file on it...... nope...... so i took a scratch awl and tried to scratch it....... nope.....

been sitting here for the last 30 mins using *(admittedly the wrong stone because it is tooooo fine) my slate bout..... it will straighten up a bevel but cutting one from scratch is another story...... the 2nd photo shows the product of those 30 mins..........

proxy.php

proxy.php

got home... pulled out the stones and a bit o tape and started scrubbing away on the 1k king.... and scrubbing..... and scrubbing... :bored:...... grabbed a 200 grit diamond plate that has sat unused for a loooonnnnnngggggg time and started scrubbing and scrubbing..... and scrubbing... :bored:......... it took me 1hour to get the bevel set....... the HRC on this is apparently quite high...

once the bevel was set i went to the 1k .. nice... popping hairs... whipped out the norton 4k8k...... made a few on the 4k.... nice.. seeing a polish.... 6k nice... more polish.... 8k... nice..... c12k... nice....

ran to the bathroom.... made lather then made ~20 passes on the CROX strop.... ~20 more on the canvas treated with 200k diamond.... then to the leather *(being very careful to miss the cut i put in it the other night)......

HHT... nice 4-5....

first... this is a blood thirsty bastid..:scared:.. it bit me on the finger while honing.... tiny little "gotchas" on each side of my mouth... and a nice nick on the left cheek... *(probably more my fault than its....)

second... it is unholy as heck sharp....

third... got a DFS *(was kind of hurried cause i was tired... which could explain the blood.)

i should have hollowed the one side a bit more to help with with honing... the bevel is a bit wide.. but it is done... sharp and i love it...... thanks for following along with the story....

i wish i had the photographing skills some of you guys have but alas.... no....

it still needs polishing... but i have to think of a way to con SWMBO into buying me a buffing wheel or complete buffer...

side note after looking at these photos... will go back to the stones and use the candy jasper to polish it out.... the flash shows scratches on the bevel....

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom