What's new

kamisori .... miami style...

Me three! I just need to figure out where to get a torch capable of keeping the metal hot, and how thick i need it to be...any tips?

Me four. I just ordered a piece of steel off the bay. I'm not sure what I'll do about heat treating, but I'll figure it out when the time comes.

i have been intermittently regrinding on the 12/8ths...... i have hollowed it a bit and narrowed it to ~10/8ths.... but i really need to remove some of those heavy grinder marks before i HT it..... otherwise i will spend a fortune in sandpaper...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Me three! I just need to figure out where to get a torch capable of keeping the metal hot, and how thick i need it to be...any tips?

I figured on using charcoal and a blower of some kind for heat treating, and peanut oil for quenching. For annealing, same thing, just leave the file buried in the coals and let them go out on their own. The ashes should insulate well enough to let it cool slowly. For the tempering, I'm gonna use the GFs oven. I could use a propane torch, since I have one, but I think a bed of charcoal will give me more even heating.

Thickness? Well, you could measure a blade that you like, and use that thickness and width. What i ordered is a couple of pieces 3/16" x 1" x 18". I should be able to barely get a 6/8 out of that thickness if I want to, though I actually prefer a 5/8.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I got some advice on using a paint can forge for HT. I'll look into the charcoal method too. Now if I can only find Legions thread on his file kamisori.

Top Bottom