What's new

Weber Stainless Steel Razor - My Thoughts

I have used this razor for the past 15 or so shaves & feel a few comments are in order. I used 5 different blades for 3 shaves each and 7 different soaps/creams to see how the shave would be affected.

This razor presently costs $55.00 and at this price it is a steal. It would still be a bargain at $100.00.

It is all stainless steel with the cap/base coated in what the makers call "diamond like carbon". The finish on the cap/base is smooth and well done. The handle has great knurling that makes for a sure grip even when wet. But it does look a bit industrial, lacking the more polished finish many of us like.

Being a 3 piece razor, changing the blade is a little more difficult than a TTO but nothing to worry about.

How aggressive is it you ask? On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it's an 8.5 or so. But you would never know it. It is also very smooth and comfortable. Must be that diamond like carbon coating on the cap/base. Regardless how the makers have done it, the razor shaves fantasticly well. I do a 2 pass with touchup shave and have been getting DFS++/BBS with no irritation at all. The razor just seems to glide across my face.

So, do I like this razor? You bet! It is a well built, easy to use, quality piece of equipment that will serve you well. It could be the solution to RAD. It's that good.

I have used this razor for the past 15 or so shaves & feel a few comments are in order. I used 5 different blades for 3 shaves each and 7 different soaps/creams to see how the shave would be affected.

This razor presently costs $55.00 and at this price it is a steal. It would still be a bargain at $100.00.

It is all stainless steel with the cap/base coated in what the makers call "diamond like carbon". The finish on the cap/base is smooth and well done. The handle has great knurling that makes for a sure grip even when wet. But it does look a bit industrial, lacking the more polished finish many of us like.

Being a 3 piece razor, changing the blade is a little more difficult than a TTO but nothing to worry about.

How aggressive is it you ask? On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it's an 8.5 or so. But you would never know it. It is also very smooth and comfortable. Must be that diamond like carbon coating on the cap/base. Regardless how the makers have done it, the razor shaves fantasticly well. I do a 2 pass with touchup shave and have been getting DFS++/BBS with no irritation at all. The razor just seems to glide across my face.

So, do I like this razor? You bet! It is a well built, easy to use, quality piece of equipment that will serve you well. It could be the solution to RAD. It's that good.

I agree with most of your points, but your scale doesn't work for me. If you can put it in terms of different razors, for instance Tech=1, Red Tip=5, Barbasol=10, that actually means something to me at least. With my scale, I think it shaves around 1-3.

-jim

I agree with most of your points, but your scale doesn't work for me. If you can put it in terms of different razors, for instance Tech=1, Red Tip=5, Barbasol=10, that actually means something to me at least. With my scale, I think it shaves around 1-3.

-jim

Hmm...well, to me it feels very gentle like a Tech but the results of the shave are like a Slim Adj at about an 8.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for the review.

I'm intrigued by the DLC on the head. The dragging of the head has always bothered me with most DE razors.

Good review and I would agree with all except the aggressiveness which I feel is more a personal call. I would give it a 5 or perhaps a 4. At first I thought it was a bit more aggressive than the R89 but I think it may be an equal. The head going over my skin feels different than the nice silver or brass heads but it is not a bad feeling, just different. I'm not positive yet on this but it looks like the Russian blade wrapper glue does not stick to the head.

This matches my initial impressions, but not sure about aggressiveness. Because it's clearly more aggressive and heavier than the L6 I was using, that seems to come out in my thinking, but once I get a better feel for the razor and dial back the pressure, I think this will feel more medium and smooth. Once I've used it for a longer time and with different blades, I'll post my thoughts. In the meantime, I'm enjoying using this razor. Thanks for your review poppi.

My two cents on the Weber. First, I am very excited to see a new US DE razor in production and I applaud Ed Weber for his perseverance and efforts in delivering a fine new product into the marketplace. Customer service and communication from Ed was great.

Now for my review: The razor retails at $55 plus shipping, which is very fair price and is achieved by the direct to consumer distribution through Amazon and eBay. The razor is adequately aggressive, but not overly so. This razor may not have enough juice for those who prefer a truly aggressive razor. So, if you are shaving with a slant, a new R41, or an adjustable cranked up, I might think twice. But, for most it should be sufficiently aggressive.

The design of the head is a classic Merkur-type design, but the basic design does not represent any radical change or improvement. It is a tried and true design and delivers an excellent shave that should satisfy the majority of users. I had no trouble getting consistently fine results with my typical three-pass shave.

The feel of the razor is good, but it does feel a bit like a hand tool to me, rather than a fine instrument. Sort of like handling a pliers. Part of that may be that the fit and finish are not up to the level of the Feather all stainless (neither is the price). Also, the nature of steel is that it just harder feels harder and colder than brass. The Ikon has a similar feel to me, if that is any help. The threaded shaft off the top of the head could be a little longer for a bit more secure feeling when loading, but it did work adequately.

The DLC coating is an interesting innovation and has held up for my two weeks of use, but the long term viability is still unknown. Will it last, or will it wear off through use?

The long handle available separately at $20 plus shipping alone is a steal for stainless steel in the current market.

I gave a couple of these razors to other wet shavers for Christmas gifts and the reports back have both been favorable. One user noted that the extra long handle was a huge improvement for him. He does have large hands and said he could rest his pinky on the bottom piece and was extremely comfortable when shaving. The ratings from the two recipients, both wet shavers with more than a year of experience, were an 8 and a 9 on a scale of 10 being best.

In the $40-$70 price range you can get a Bob's Razor Works handle and re-plated New Head, and most of the Mulhe and Merkur offerings for new razors. This razor stacks up quite well overall in the marketplace and to me it is a buy at the current pricing, so long as you recognize what you are getting and the limitations. My overall rating is also an 8 on a scale of 10 being best. Where else can you get a competent all stainless shaver made in the US for $60 delivered?

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Great review Richard! :thumbup:

It coincides with my husband and my experience with this razor. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews in the coming weeks. I am really curious to hear how well the Weber does with a variety of beard types. Kudos to Ed Weber for hanging in there and bring this razor to market.

Top Bottom