What's new

Should my next blade be the Derby?

I've been wet shaving for about 7 months now, my razor of choice is the 38C. I'm still trying to discover which blade is right for me, I haven't had the extra cash to purchase the blade sampler. When I bought my 38C used it came with a 10 pack of Merkur's and a 10 pack of Feathers, I already had the US Personna's and some UK Wilkinson's. I have extremely sensitive skin and a tough beard. I have made sure I am using light pressure and correct angle.

The main reason I want to try the Derby's is to get in on the sale, I'm in between jobs still and money is extremely tight right now.

Here's my take on the blades thus far

- US Personna: Dull, tugs and irritation, not a decent blade at all.

- Feather: Anyone have a fire extinguisher? I've only been able to complete a quarter of a shave with these blades. I got the most irritation out of any shave when trying this blade. Very sharp, wish it would of worked for me.

- UK Wilkinsons: These blades are close to what I'm looking for, there smooth but there not very sharp. If I skip a day or two there is quit a bit of tugging. Also I don't get a very close shave with these blades and I usually have to do an additional pass, I normally do 2-3 passes.

- Merkurs: I know not a lot of people like these blades, but again this one is really close. It's a little sharper then the Wilkinson's and really smooth, but they are really expensive and I can only get about 3 shaves out of each blade.

I'm a 4 month newbie and like the Derbys a lot (bought 100 during the last sale). They're not as sharp as Feathers and if you'd liked the Feathers then the Derbys might be disappointing, but given your response to Feathers, Derbys could be a good choice for you. I find they shave fairly closely and are very smooth and not irritating (and the price is great). You really should get a sample pack once the funds are in.

If you'd like, you can PM me with your address, and I'll send you a 5 Pack of Derbys to try out.

I think you should give the Israeli Persona's a try too. Send me a PM with your address and i will send you a few so you can try it out.

If you'd like, you can PM me with your address, and I'll send you a 5 Pack of Derbys to try out.

Thought this deserves a :badger: too. Just one guy's view from the deep bleacher seats, but I really like seeing our members' willingness to help others.

I think you should give the Israeli Persona's a try too. Send me a PM with your address and i will send you a few so you can try it out.

Thank you both for offering to send me some sample blades, I really appreciate the generosity. :badger: I hope to be able to pay it forward once I get back working.

Top Bottom