What's new

Fly-fishing newbie

Hey all--I've fished with a spinning reel forever, but just received my first fly rod and waders. I've wanted to learn for a while now, but aside from a couple books don't really know where to start.

Anyone have advice for a fly-rookie? A catch-all book, or maybe an organization like Trout Unlimited? Anything you wish someone had told you when you started?

Get a neck knife in case you have to cut the waders if you fall.When they fill with water in a fast running stream that could be the difference. Other than that Get some cheap line so you can practice in the yard and spool the good stuff when you go. Don't buy your flies online find the local tackle outfitter and buy from him. He knows what is hot in his area and what is not. The stuff on sale is not! lol practice tying flies and streamers in the yard while holding the rod cause it aint no fun when your stuff is floating away while learning to to tie in the river. Its best if you can afford it to go to one of the fly fishing schools because they get you started with the proper form and technique to last a lifetime. Once your learn teach your sons and daughters as well!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I cannot recommend enough the books of Roderick Haig-Brown ... an Englishman who settled in Campbell River on the British Columbia coast after years of travel. His books are great reads that will get you in tune with the (for lack of a better word) Zen of fly fishing. The books are several decades old ... half a century or more ... so some of the technical details are dated, but still well worth the read, to get your mind tuned to appreciate fly fishing. Check out the four 'season' books (A Fisherman's Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter) as well as A River Never Sleeps and his others (The Western Angler is a classic.)

I have really enjoyed Lefty Kreh's books. They may help you too. There are lots of great sites on the Net to look over.

It was mentioned above that a school may be helpful. There are several in the North East. The Joan wulff's Scholl in the Catskills is good:
http://www.wulffschool.com/school.html

The Orvis Company also offers weekend seminars.

A day with a Certified Guide can be helpful too. Especially one who likes to teach.

Good luck. It is a really fun sport.

Last edited:
Hi, Scott!

When I started fishing with a fly rod, I found videos at the library about casting. Then I strung my rod and practiced casting at the nearest park so I didn't have to start from scratch when I fished for the first time.

Pay close attention to the "back cast". After a while you will learn to feel when the rod is loaded and then you begin to move the rod forward.

Once you can manage your rod and fly line, you will need to know the different types of flies and when/how to fish with them. Then you want to know how "read" the water and to understand places in a stream where fish are likely to hold. (It is a little different if you want to fish still water with your fly rod.)

So, I recommend visiting the nearest library. If you discover certain books/videos are helpful, then you may want to purchase your own copies. If someone at a local fly shop or TU chapter is willing to help you, so much the better.

Have fun! :thumbup1:

Anything you wish someone had told you when you started?

1) Spend less time changing flies and more time fishing flies. Changing flies doesn't catch fish.
2) Initially you really only need to learn two knots: the triple surgeons knot (tippet to leader) and the improved cinch (tippet to fly); eventually you'll want to learn the nail knot, among others. Oh, and lick your leader/tippet before cinching your knots tight.
3) Trout streams are divided into two types in my mind: fertile and infertile. Fertile streams are cold ones of the west with abundant aquatic life, overfed fish who are used to specific hatches. If you are from the southeast like me, or from some parts of the northeast, your stream may be infertile. The fish are hungry. Most of the time they'll eat whatever you put in front of them as long as you present it well. On these streams presentation is everything. On fertile streams matching the hatch is important.
4) On a wild trout stream, every inch of water is suspect. I have caught enormous trout in mere inches of water. On stocked/trophy streams, you'll more often find fish in deeper pools and barren stretches of water in between.
5) It doesn't take much more than a mere raising of your rod tip to set the hook. Avoid the temptation to yank upwards. On that note, keep your rod tip up.
6) Start off with the roll cast. Once you get that down, proceed to learn how to overhead cast.
7) Wear a wading belt. Especially in deeper water.
8) When nymphing, if you're not getting hung up often you're not deep enough.
9) Dry flies are 10x more fun than nymphing
10) Be patient. When you get fed up/frustrated, find a large rock on the side of the stream, put down your rod, and take it all in. Listen to the stream. Its beautiful out, and you aren't at work.

That's it for now.

I would recommend falling in with some folks who know what their doing. Fishing is really best learned as an apprentice.

I agree that the Back cast is difficult. Many rookies don't look at their back cast. Make sure you turn and see where it is going and adjust accordingly. Also if you have someone video your casting it can be helpful as well. Check out Lefty's video to get you going. http://www.amazon.com/Lefty-Kreh-Casting-lefty-kreh/dp/B0002D126G. He has some nice clips on you tube too.

Hi, Scott!

When I started fishing with a fly rod, I found videos at the library about casting. Then I strung my rod and practiced casting at the nearest park so I didn't have to start from scratch when I fished for the first time.

Pay close attention to the "back cast". After a while you will learn to feel when the rod is loaded and then you begin to move the rod forward.

Once you can manage your rod and fly line, you will need to know the different types of flies and when/how to fish with them. Then you want to know how "read" the water and to understand places in a stream where fish are likely to hold. (It is a little different if you want to fish still water with your fly rod.)

So, I recommend visiting the nearest library. If you discover certain books/videos are helpful, then you may want to purchase your own copies. If someone at a local fly shop or TU chapter is willing to help you, so much the better.

Have fun! :thumbup1:

Years ago I attended a fly fishing clinic at a fishing expo that was held by a Bass Pro Shops instructor. He had us making good casts in less than 1/2 an hour.

If you can't take lessons, this is an amazing video. It's a classic.

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-BASIC-FLY-CASTING/dp/B000ENKP1W

For flies, don't go crazy. I've been fly fishing for about 15 years, and have had up to 175 days on the water each year. My favorite dry is still the Parachute Adams, which is the most popular fly. Give me a Parachute Adams in a size 14 - 24 and I can catch anything. For nymphs, a there are a few basic patterns that work. For a streamer, a Muddler Minnow is great.

Oh, and don't even think about fly tying. Not yet. You think fly fishing gear is expensive. lol

Hey all--I've fished with a spinning reel forever, but just received my first fly rod and waders. I've wanted to learn for a while now, but aside from a couple books don't really know where to start.

Anyone have advice for a fly-rookie? A catch-all book, or maybe an organization like Trout Unlimited? Anything you wish someone had told you when you started?

One other thing... what kind of fly rod did you get? The most important part of your outfit is the line. Don't skimp on it. A friend got an 8 weight rod and 4 weight level line from his wife. And he wondered why he could cast. lol

The first thing you need to do is understand that fly fishing is like shaving, you can spend alot of money on gear and ideas with no satisfaction. I would start out with a foam black ant with the basic line and leader in the back yard and practice your cast before you jump in the river.

A guy I know who is real good at catching fish with a fly rod is a sloppy caster.

Just think how good he would be if he was a good caster? Perhaps it works with nymphing, but it won't work with dry fly fishing.

Like Mongoose said, spend lots of time in the back yard or a park and practice. It will pay huge dividends.

+1 on the Orvis book. Excellent for a beginner. Lots of excellent advice above. The main thing that helped me get my cast down was lots of patient practice. Emphasis on the patient. It takes time but once you get the feel of your rod and line you'll really start to be able to place your casts.

You need to learn to tie ONE fly right away. A practice streamer. Take about 3 inches of yarn, coil it around two fingers and tie it tight with some mono-filament (6# or 8# is fine) in the middle. Take about 4 feet of that line and tie that to a piece of 10# or 12# mono, long enough that the two pieces add up to a little longer than your rod (this is now an un-tapered leader). You can use a surgeon's knot (easier) or a blood knot (harder). Tie this to the end of your matched kit with a nail (or tube) knot or using a surgeon's loop to a loop connector.

A lot of cheap fly kits lack backing line. This is typically braided, but may be a mono-filament, and fills the spool, as well as gives adequate line to fight a big fish in. If you do not have any backing get some.

Now, take your kit with the practice fly to a grass field. Take your hat and throw it about 10 feet away. Practice casting. There is never a need to cast farther than about 20 feet especially while learning. Having a few targets is helpful: hula hoops, hats, and paper plates work well.

Knots you need to learn for use:
surgeon's knot
surgeon's loop
(optional) blood knot (you WILL be asked by some cocky sucker about this, so at least know what it is)
nail or tube knot (well, you could live without this and use attachment loops)
attachment knot or two of choice for tippet to hook.

http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/links-and-resources/downloads check "essential knots" print it out even.

There are many more knots you need to learn, but you can learn to tie them from directions as you won't need them in the field

Now, when practicing if you notice a "wind knot" which is an overhand knot in the line that doesn't belong, carefully untie it before it gets set tight. Don't spend too much time practicing at one go (unless you really like it, then in later sessions give yourself more time) a few 20-30 minute sessions and you should have a basic roll cast (pick the line up and flip the practice fly to a new place, without the line going behind yourself), a basic back cast (the line goes behind yourself) and maybe a basic double-haul cast (not necessary, but is a false cast to get more line out, then a back cast).

Focus on the roll cast. The longer your fly is in the water the more chance you have of a bite.

Phil

Top Bottom