What's new

180 days with the MÜHLE R41 2011

Two days ago, I completed six months of shaving with the MÜHLE R41 2011. I used this razor exclusively, except for a half-dozen days, described below.

I was impressed with this razor from the very beginning, and after using it a month, wrote a review on B&B. After 180 days of use, I would first say that I would not change a word. My comments remain true—at least for me. But maybe I should have said more.

In the time that has passed, I closely watched nearly every post about the R41. There were days when as many as seven threads on it were in the first page screen of the Safety Razor forum. It was not unusual to see five threads on that screen for weeks during the Fall.

It took on a macho and rite-of-passage aura like Feather blades. New shavers proudly boasted about their ability to use one, and encouraged other newbies to try one. Much was written about the closeness of the shave one could achieve. Much was written about the irritation and blood-loss users experience, and how users hoped for better experiences after the learning curve. It became evident through polls that a significant number of users found it “not for me”.

MÜHLE cautioned in its advertising that the R41 is for experienced shavers and that it is “not for everyone”. I made the same observations in my review. I am an experienced DE user who has always wanted ever more aggressive razors. I tried every reportedly-aggressive razor I could get my hands on along the way.

I found the perfect match for me is the R41. I get the best shaves in over 40 years of DE use with it. I get less irritation than with other razors—usually barely detectible with alcohol-based aftershaves. The skin on my face is clearer and healthier than before. With my favorite blade, the Russian Perma-Sharp, I have the best DE combo I’ve ever used. But that’s me. Just me. I shave as quickly and as effortlessly as with any other razor, with care taken to do a good prep. I find that most of my old soaps and creams work well with it.

I did get two cuts during the past six months—two nasty ones, spaced months apart. For three or four days after each of the problems, I switched to my 38C to let my face recover. I can only blame the cuts on “off days”. No other explanation fits very neatly.

I really enjoy my MÜHLE R41, but I still say it is not for everyone, and I still feel that it is truly irresponsible to recommend it to a new shaver.

Last edited:
I have been using a DE for a year now. I mainly use a EJ89L or a slim adjustable. I have been using a sheraton this week thanks to another member passing it around. I just got a 1904 for Christmas and I have been thinking of giving the R41 a shot. What do you think? Is it time?

I started with mine after about 7 months with straights, followed by about 3 or 4 months with DE's. I have found it to be a great razor, I have only used two other OCs since I started and use it almost daily. But I am glad it wasn't the first DE I tried. I don't think it would make a good razor for a beginner.

I truly enjoy the shave, and results of my 2011 R41! I give it the respect it deserves, and NEVER use it if I am in a rush! The R41 loves to be taken for a slow and methodical ride, never rushed! If rushed, the R41 will teach you a lesson real quick!

I agree, you have to be a seasoned pro to use it. I had no issues, my go to blade is the Astra. I do use the Feather on occasions buy like the Astra as my go to blade. I use the R41 everyday now.

Two days ago, I completed six months of shaving with the MÜHLE R41 2011. I used this razor exclusively, except for a half-dozen days, described below.

I was impressed with this razor from the very beginning, and after using it a month, wrote a review on B&B. After 180 days of use, I would first say that I would not change a word. My comments remain true—at least for me. But maybe I should have said more.

In the time that has passed, I closely watched nearly every post about the R41. There were days when as many as seven threads on it were in the first page screen of the Safety Razor forum. It was not unusual to see five threads on that screen for weeks during the Fall.

It took on a macho and rite-of-passage aura like Feather blades. New shavers proudly boasted about their ability to use one, and encouraged other newbies to try one. Much was written about the closeness of the shave one could achieve. Much was written about the irritation and blood-loss users experience, and how users hoped for better experiences after the learning curve. It became evident through polls that a significant number of users found it “not for me”.

MÜHLE cautioned in its advertising that the R41 is for experienced shavers and that it is “not for everyone”. I made the same observations in my review. I am an experienced DE user who has always wanted ever more aggressive razors. I tried every reportedly-aggressive razor I could get my hands on along the way.

I found the perfect match for me is the R41. I get the best shaves in over 40 years of DE use with it. I get less irritation than with other razors—usually barely detectible with alcohol-based aftershaves. The skin on my face is clearer and healthier than before. With my favorite blade, the Russian Perma-Sharp, I have the best DE combo I’ve ever used. But that’s me. Just me. I shave as quickly and as effortlessly as with any other razor, with care taken to do a good prep. I find that most of my old soaps and creams work well with it.

I did get two cuts during the past six months—two nasty ones, spaced months apart. For three or four days after each of the problems, I switched to my 38C to let my face recover. I can only blame the cuts on “off days”. No other explanation fits very neatly.

I really enjoy my MÜHLE R41, but I still say it is not for everyone, and I still feel that it is truly irresponsible to recommend it to a new shaver.

Good post. I tried it and found it less effective than my favourite DE's, so I boxed it. But that is me. I agree with you that this is not a razor to start with. IMHO a Tech (clone) or a Slim TTO, to name but 2, are the way to go. Once you have mastered the basic technique, and found you need a more effective razor, it is time to look at other razors.

Last edited:
Codfish, thanks for your OP and previous posts on this razor. I like your observation about the "macho and rite-of-passage aura" that sometimes rears it's head on these forums.

Based on these reviews, I put this razor on my Christmas list and SWMBO gave it to me a Christmas gift. I jumped in for my Christmas morning shave with a new Voskhod blade and had one of the best shaves on my life.

Immediately I could feel the aggressiveness of the razor so focused on maintaining a good angle and a 'no-pressure' approach.

I second the recommendation that this is not the razor to learn how to shave with.

I have been using a DE for a year now. I mainly use a EJ89L or a slim adjustable. I have been using a sheraton this week thanks to another member passing it around. I just got a 1904 for Christmas and I have been thinking of giving the R41 a shot. What do you think? Is it time?
If you are looking for a more effective and more effective razor, the R41 certainly should be considered.

I originally bought a Merkur 38C, and after six weeks or so thought I wanted something more aggressive. I chose a 39C Sledgehammer but found it too much of an upgrade, so it sat on a shelf for several months until my technique improved a bit. Then it was perfect for me and began what became a Crusade for even more aggressive razors.

If you feel your technique is fairly sound, by all means try the R41. It's at the end of the line as far as aggressiveness goes, at least in my personal experience with many DEs and SEs. Your first shaves should be done carefully and slowly, with good attention to your prep.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I have just finished six-months shaving without a Muhle R41, and I have had lots of great shaves as well! I also have had no cuts requiring 3-4 days each to recover, something that I don't think should happen with a "safety razor," especially in the hands of an experienced shaver.

Great write up. Thanks!
I can second your thoughts, from the uncomfortable myths surrounding it to the pleasure and efficacy in shaving.

I still applaud Muhle for bringing this new razor to the market.
It gives DE shavers more and interesting choices, and I think it is good to have the advantages as well as the lesser experiences discussed on the forum.

For me, the new R41 has become the daily razor.
Paired with feathers, it provides a hassle free shave.

Top Bottom