What's new

Old Gillette DE What did I find?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Okay, while I may be the 'strop guy" I know very little about DE razors. A little bit of research makes me think this is a Super Speed. It looks to be in mint condition as it the plastic case. I am doubting the same vintage for the blades though as the razor had a Gillette Blue Blade inside it, not one of the silver ones in the package.

Now the odd this in that the blade seems to have been held in the razor with four tiny dabs of a rubbery adhesive, one under each corner and the blade looks unused except for a hint of rust on the shiney cutting edge of one side. There is a code of F 1 under the blade housing.

Any thoughts on the odd glue spots? Any idea of a value for one in mint condition in case but without the correct blades?

I also saw one that looks like the same knurling patterns as a Fat Boy but am unfamilar with them. This seemed long and fairly narrow, nothing really "fat" about it.

Thanks,
Tony

Attachments

• $find1.jpg
    $find1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 231
  • $find2.jpg
    $find2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 231
Appears to be a Red Tip SS, with date stamp F1, that would be 1960 Red Tip SS. Not sure of the value with the case. The adhesive is likely from the blade itself and was transferred to the razor housing after it was inserted. The SS is one fine shaver.

Are you sure it's an "F" and not an "E"? I'm almost certain that Red Tip production ceased in 1959 with the E date codes.

Might be able to get $50-60 on ebay for it. Some well know sellers have gotten over $100 for a mint cased redtip, depends on how good you are at selling your auctions. Seems like $30 for a good condition uncased redtip is common.
Aaron

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thanks guys. I checked the date code again and it is an F for sure, no doubt, no bad stamping, it is an F. The glue spots make sense now, I remember sticky spots on the few paper wrapped DE blades I have used before and they probably transfered to the razor. Like I said I have rarely used an DE so I am not that familair with the details.
Do the blades look like newer models than the 1960 the date code suggests?

After looking at a bunch of pictures i think the other razor I saw was was an earlier Super Speed Flare all in silver and not a Fat Boy.

This was at a little shop right in my neighborhood. I stopped in today just to see what they might have an was amazed at all the cool things. I may go back on Friday to see exactly what the other razor was and if it too is as good condition. It is in the same case except in grey. There were a few old single edge shavers too.

I am debating whether to keep it or ebay it. I am developing a bit of a tremor in my right arm which is making the straight razor a big challange now days so maybe a DE would be a wiser choice. I do have a Merkur Progress stored away along with a non adjustable Merkur and a Gillette President (is that the gold one or the Diplomat?).

Thanks for letting me share. I was pretty excited to find something this cool so close to home.

Tony

I would think you would be happier with a more aggressive razor if coming from straight shaving. The redtip being the most aggressive of the gillette TTO IMHO. The new Muhle R41 has lots of fans among those who like a efficient razor recently.
Aaron

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Aaron,

Oddly I usually have hacked myself up with any harsh DE. If I set my Progress much past 2 1/2" it is a bloodbath, anything more tame and I look like I need a shave. Maybe with practice I could do better but so far it has been harsh.

A little web search showed the "Spoiler" blades are more like 1967 or so.

Tony

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Here is a picture showing the date code of F 1 Hard to get a good shot without glare but here it is guys.

Tony

Attachments

• $F1.jpg
    $F1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 466
Here is a picture showing the date code of F 1 Hard to get a good shot without glare but here it is guys.

Tony

Looks like pretty good proof that Red Tip production leaked into 1960. I know I've never seen one.

We can add this to the oddity list along with the Q date code Super Adjustables.

Thanks for the picture, Tony! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom