What's new

fat boy question and few pics

Hey gents isn't this a Executive instead of a Fatboy? Or is there a difference between the two?

Last edited:
Hey gents isn't this a Executive instead of a Fatboy? Or is there a difference between the two?

Fatboy is what shave nerds like us call them. The proper names are Executive for the gold, and 195 for the silver. Fatboy, in my estimation, refers to the larger diameter barrel as opposed to the Slim with the narrower barrel. So, I think both the Executive and the 195'are Fatboys.

If you've used a Super Speed, 3 is about the equivalent.
Before you use it, load a blade and check for an uneven blade gap, something that is very easy to fix. It may just be my eyes or the camera angle, but in every picture it looks like the guard bar is higher on the left side. ( check both sides)
Anyway, that is a sweet looking razor!

An interesting point. I have an older toggle that I just recently noticed is shaving different from one side to the other. Could that be the cause? If so, how do I check and correct that?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It is such an individual thing that mostly we can only tell you what our personal preferences are. You will find your own in the coming week or two.

You best setting may change, with a change of blade brand.

Some shavers like to do a first pass at a low setting, and dial it up for subsequent passes.

Some shavers like a moderate setting on WTG, but dial it down for XTG or ATG.

Some shavers set it and forget it, which is what I do, with a Feather at 2 or a wilkie or ASR Personna at 4. For a Slim I bump it up one notch from my FB settings.

I do suggest that initially you stick with one blade brand while you are getting aquainted with your FB and finding your zone on the settings. And after a few weeks, re-check your settings, because your pressure, angle, orientation, etc might change, optimizing a different setting.

An interesting point. I have an older toggle that I just recently noticed is shaving different from one side to the other. Could that be the cause? If so, how do I check and correct that?

Probably got dropped and dinged or bent at some point. If you can eyeball which piece is out of alignment, it's easy to bend back with a screwdriver head or a coin.

Probably got dropped and dinged or bent at some point. If you can eyeball which piece is out of alignment, it's easy to bend back with a screwdriver head or a coin.

I was thinking the same thing, the only thing I can think of is that I traveled with it and my bag got jostled a lot on the flight. I will try to investigate further. In the meantime I have switched to an adjustable Gillette, I think its an executive.

That is a beauty! Mine is normally on 4 for all passes. Sometimes I'll go to a 5 for the WTG if I haven't shaved in more than a couple of days. Good luck!

Great looking razor!! On my shortlist (just starting out and will be ordering an EJ)

Never knew they had it in Gold...always saw silver.

I was wondering when someone would notice this.

It's a gold plated Fatboy. The knurling is different on the Executive (see below)

proxy.php

Top Bottom