What's new

Help me find a new razor...

This week marks my one year anniversary of DE shaving. I have used a handfull of razors and have used a EJ Chatsworth consistently for the last 9 months. I can get fantastic shaves with it and would be happy using it for the rest of my life, but I'd like to try my hand with a more aggressive DE razor. Here's where I could use your feedback/suggestions...

A few thoughts, I tried straights but just couldn't get with it, not necessarily shaving with them, but all of the razor prep, honing, stropping, etc...not for me. Also, I don't like vintage razors, i just prefer the look and feel of the new ones. I have been reading a lot about the 2011 R41 and it sounds like it is on the very end of the aggressive spectrum, not sure I'm ready for that, is there anything in between the EJ head and the R41?

My first suggestion would have been the Muhle 2011 R41, as it is a fine razor that really works for me! However, my next suggestion would be the Merkur 37C slant, then the Merkur 570 Progress, all of which, are amazing razors! Getting back to the R41, if you feel you have your technique down pat, I would suggest you give this wonderful tool a try! I received the 2011 R41 as a Christmas gift from my wife, and I was so hesitant on even trying it from reading about other members posts on its aggressiveness! Well, I gave it test drive and loaded the R41 with a Feather blade, then cautiously and slowly began my shave. The R41 is a very audible razor that gave me a BBS shave in 2 passes (WTG & XTG) with no cuts or weepers!! I gave the R41 the respect it was due and it came out a winner! The R41 will now be used in my rotation (I love my EJ89L to much to retire it along with my Merkur Progress and my Merkur 39C Sledgehammer). My two cents.

Last edited:
Go for a slant! Put a Feather in a Merkur slant, and you'll feel it.

Last edited:
The 37C (slant) is a fantastic razor; I would say it's right in the middle between the EJ and the R41 for aggressiveness. I prefer it with a Med Prep or a Rapira Lux :)

Top Bottom