Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

Images

"Gentlemanly restraint" which translates to "no binging, only reasonable purchases" in my head
    Reasonable? What excesses can be disguised by such a word that falls barely noticed upon innocent ears.
    Last edited by Oscroft; 12-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Alan Oscroft (maker of strops)

Images

No way dude. I'm single and live close enough to WCS that I end up driving there at least once a month.
    My name is Chris. I'm addicted to shaving and heavily influenced by enablers.

Load it like you hate it! Full fledged 3017'er/ Unofficial 2013 Sabbatical Participant

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsj_297 View Post
    Same rules as last year, I'm in need of replenishing my normal gear, I am running low on stuff. I will order 2 bottles of Osage rub, 5 packs feathers, 2 tubs proraso, 2 sticks arko........that should last me a full year. I am not putting ANYTHING on a "wish list" or if this or that is available either.

NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Whos in with me, feel free to order and restock your normal stuff that will last u an entire year, and that's it, no more!

WHOS GAME?????
    I'm not in. But I have to ask, does 50 blades really last you a whole year?
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    "Gentlemanly restraint" which translates to "no binging, only reasonable purchases"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Reasonable? What excesses can be disguised by such a word that falls barely noticed upon innocent ears.
    Ah, therein lies my genius. The definition is left to the individual... And SWMBO (if he gets caught)!
    Are you ready for anyting? I am: Hurricanedad411.com

Is this thing even possible? Has it ever happened before ? :)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    not me...i'm a daily shaver, and change my blade every 2 shaves, sometimes 3....so i need about 100-120 blades to last me a year.

i have enough blades, creams, soaps, brushes, razors etc to last a few years, but am not sure i can resist purchasing more...i got a few more days to consider this.

i might have to make a gentlemanly bet with a co-worker....1st to cave, buys the other guy a tub of Castle Forbes or MDC....that would make me re-think any of my purchases

Someone has got to jump start the economy...count me out!

Alright, I'm in this year. Gonna order a new razor before 1/1 (R41 I think), then I'm done, I swear...unless, well...no really, I mean it, done.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
    Alright, I'm in this year. Gonna order a new razor before 1/1 (R41 I think), then I'm done, I swear...unless, well...no really, I mean it, done.
    This might make getting that R41 simple for you Dave - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...pped-for-36-61 - you can thank brucered for that one!

P.S. i note your signature! That's commitment!
    Last edited by Earcutter; 12-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    - David

Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    No, not quite. I just did inventory, and I only had 3 packs of feather left, so I figured 5 packs would surfice, if not I still have a few extra packs of less inferior blades left....IP's, crystals, Lords, etc etc. I wish 50 would do the trick though!! :)
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

Quote Originally Posted by Earcutter View Post
    Ok so how overboard on your shopping did you end up going today lol??
    NOTHING, I SWEAR!!! you see what i will purchase by the end of the year, and that's it! You have my word!
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    You're not going to spend any money on shave kit for a year? I don't believe a word of it, from any of you!
    Hey, I am a man of my word! You see my list, and unless I run out of Osage as, which is possible, I wont buy a single thing! PROMISE!!!
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

Images

I'm in, the only caveat being ridiculous sales/clearance pricing on items I've been eyeing. Even then, they'll remain out of rotation until 2013.
    -- Eric --
    "I'm afraid the lemur got into the pudding cups."

Okay, I have followed the last thread (somewhat) and now that I have officially passed the one year of DE shaving, I think I can handle it. I have several soaps / blades / aftershaves / brushes / etc to last the year.

The only things I want are:

Thater (or maybe a Simpsons)
    QCS creams

I figure if I can last the whole year, then I can justify purchasing one (or both) of these items. Any LE's offered during this year will also be difficult to pass up, but I will try.

Will be sure to check in every now and again to see if I am still in.

Thanks,
    CZ

Images

"I have no intention of buying any shaving stuff at all in 2012". I wrote that, or something similar, in a recent post, stressing that it was not a resolution.

I can't see buying any soaps or creams in 2012. I may live long enough to use up what I've got if I take care of myself, and then have to buy a few more. If I live long enough to use up my entire stash of blades, just call me Methuselah. Not likely to buy any blades either.

There are a limited number of vintage razors, about four, that I might still buy if I can find them at my price. Trouble is, my price is probably lower than the going rate. I wouldn't turn down a great deal, but I might turn down a good one.

Luckily, brushes have never really caught my interest, and I'm happy with my inexpensive boars and low end badgers. No willpower required not to buy any more.

I've pretty much decided against trying a straight. There aren't any other categories of shaving stuff that interest me at all. No aftershaves, colognes, or whatnot.

When 2013 draws near, I'll check for my post in this thread, and see if I lived up to it. I started keeping a running tally of all shaving purchases at the beginning of 2011, and mean to keep it up indefinitely, so it will be easy to tell.
    Last edited by Slivovitz; 12-28-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    "He broke and ran, not from cowardice, but from private inclination." - R.A. Lafferty - "One at a Time".

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    I'm all in for a 2012 Shave Sabbatical.....with some exceptions

Any B&B LE is a Granted Pass

Fountain Pens and Ink are not included

Any auctions for charity are excluded

What say everybody !!!!
    I'm with Badenov. And in my case I'll add - Whatever I sell on the BST is allowed to be applied to shave purchases.

I will be replenishing my Clubman supply tomorrow, which should get me through 6 months, and I'll have to do that again in the summer; After Shave, Talc, and Hair Tonic (No Comments From The Peanut Gallery on that last one)
    - Lou

Images

I already have enough soap, cream, blades, and AS to last until I am long gone and buried.

BUT....

I'm not going to let that stop me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsj_297 View Post
    No, not quite. I just did inventory, and I only had 3 packs of feather left, so I figured 5 packs would surfice, if not I still have a few extra packs of less inferior blades left....IP's, crystals, Lords, etc etc. I wish 50 would do the trick though!! :)
    OK, you almost had me convinced that I was changing mine too frequently.

Images

...oh, and I'm certain I WILL buy stuff next year. Blades for sure. I don't need any soaps, but will probably get some more.

I have $75 in Amazon cards. I need at least one soap and new blades for my daughter's Christmas gift GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf (neat razor and I have some GEM blades I picked up at Walgreen's) and the Shick Injector I just recieved as a PIF (which I have already found to be VERY nice,). I have sufficient DE blades to get through a year easily, maybe add some Clubman to my stock of AS.

So, other than those 3 things, I'll sign up. It'll make the Admiral happy and my bank account will thank me too.
    Live free-Die well! I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket!