What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

So I think my 'exception' will be cases - I have a bunch of razors in nice condition but without the original case, so if I see one, I'll probably buy it. That and witch hazel - my bottle of Dickinson's is half-full.

I am all set for everything else.

I said I'm in on the 2012 Sabbatical in the thread Price started and I'll repeat it here.

So, since I've done this in 2 threads (and using the new touchy-feely grade inflated mathematics they teach the punks nowadays) that means 2 X 0 = twice as much nothing. :thumbsup:

I'm in. After ~14 months of wetshaving, I don't think I've finished 1 product. I have a serious shavepocalypse stash, and there is no reason I should need to purchase anything in 2012.
The sole exceptions are:
Possible B&B LE Brush (if specs are enticing)
Any charitable auction type thingy

*Deep breath*... I will not buy more product... I will not buy more product...I will not buy more product...I will not buy more product...

I am in for a while but I will probably break down and buy something at some point. But for now, I have way too much stuff to use up before I buy anything else.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OK, as long as we are having so many exceptions I think you guys have talked me into it.

So here are my exceptions:

• If I sell something, 100% of the proceeds can be used to buy anything I want.
  • Blades, I usually only buy 100 at a time, so I will need some in 2012.
  • Brushes, I primarily only use one brush so I reserve the right to replace it or upgrade.
  • Creams, I'm very low on creams (doesn't matter that I have a 5 year supply of soaps, we're talking creams here).
  • Soaps, if I need to add something to an order to get free shipping on my blades it will probably be a soap.
  • Razors, I doubt that I will buy any, but reserve the right to snag a steal on any vintage razor that crosses my path (most likely any 40's style Superspeed that I find in the wild for under $5) also reserve the right to buy a new Weber razor.
  • Aftershaves, these are exempt at large, as they are not part of the actual shaving process and can be used completely separate from shaving (very dry skin here and constantly need to try new stuff).
  • Anything that is in danger of being discontinued or reformulated deserves preservation in my den as I see fit.
  • Anything that my wife buys for me.

There, I think that covers it. If I think of anything else I'll add it later. So count me in. :biggrin1:

I'm in with no exceptions. I have more than enough of all "consumable" gear and my 4 boar brushes and 20-odd razors suit me just fine. I failed this year before the start of February, but I haven't bought any shave-related items since June (except a freak score of a new bottle of Cade AS), so I really think that I'll be able to hold off through all of 2012.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
OK, as long as we are having so many exceptions I think you guys have talked me into it.

So here are my exceptions:

• If I sell something, 100% of the proceeds can be used to buy anything I want.
  • Blades, I usually only buy 100 at a time, so I will need some in 2012.
  • Brushes, I primarily only use one brush so I reserve the right to replace it or upgrade.
  • Creams, I'm very low on creams (doesn't matter that I have a 5 year supply of soaps, we're talking creams here).
  • Soaps, if I need to add something to an order to get free shipping on my blades it will probably be a soap.
  • Razors, I doubt that I will buy any, but reserve the right to snag a steal on any vintage razor that crosses my path (most likely any 40's style Superspeed that I find in the wild for under $5) also reserve the right to buy a new Weber razor.
  • Aftershaves, these are exempt at large, as they are not part of the actual shaving process and can be used completely separate from shaving (very dry skin here and constantly need to try new stuff).
  • Anything that is in danger of being discontinued or reformulated deserves preservation in my den as I see fit.
  • Anything that my wife buys for me.

There, I think that covers it. If I think of anything else I'll add it later. So count me in. :biggrin1:

That is a nice list of exceptions. I would only add

• Any Razor, After Shave, Cologne, Brush, Bowl, Mug, Blade, Hone, Advertising Display, included as part of or outside of a Gift Set for purposes of Collecting with occasional and incidental usage, e.g. verify authenticity.

-jim

Since I'm fairly new to this, I'm going to experiment a lot with my shaves this year. Different creams, soaps, blades, ASBs, etc. Good luck with your exercise in restraint, maybe I'll join you next year :thumbup1:

I'm in. Just ordered four knots from TGN for my handle restores that are in process, so I'm covered there. A B&B LE brush is the only possible exception.

I am going to commission a special over the toilet cabinet to organize my shaving gear (I have a good friend who builds custom cabinets), and while it's still in the design stage, the purchase has effectively been made, so I'm calling that one a 2011 purchase with 2012 delivery.

Is this the second thread on a sabbatical?

Either way, it's 1st January and I already caught myself on the bay browsing through vintage razors. This is going to be harder than I thought... :001_unsur

Top Bottom