What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

I'm in with one exception, a work trip to the UK later in the year. May be my only trip there for a long time... But even if I exercise the exception, it will be with restraint.

OK, I'm in. I definitely need to be in. I really want to be in. I'm gonna try and stay in. In reality, one year should be breeze, so I'm in.
Does this include aftershave balms and Gillette 7 o'clock blades?

Wish I could make the promise but I can't turn down any "right-priced" FatBoy I find at the local flea market. Other than that, I'd be good. Of course, if we start adding exceptions to the rule, there may as well be no rule ... so, I'm afraid I'm out.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It is with great pleasure that I enter my third straight Shaving Sabbatical. I failed in 2010, I failed in 2011. Third time is a charm. :yesnod:

I hit Barber Depot today and to my great consternation, they were all out of the Country Club size Clubman. They nearly had to call EMS. So, although I feel like a traitor, I acquired "Coachman" which smells very much alike, if not identical, two Clubman talcs, a Clubman Hair Tonic and Shampoo (see above :001_tt2: ), and 15 of the Blue wrapped Personna "Medical" blades. That should get me through a while.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It is with great pleasure that I enter my third straight Shaving Sabbatical. I failed in 2010, I failed in 2011. Third time is a charm. :yesnod:

Now that's the spirit. Keep breaking those promises and soon you will have a great career in politics.

I'm in for year 2. Last year, I felt compelled to break the rules for a bottle of Blue Floid when it was discontinued, and topped off with a tub of RazoRock XXX and 4 packs of Lord Blades (never again) to hit free shipping. After being in on the 3017 thread since May as well, and using up only 2 products in 7 months, I have realized just how pointless it is for me to buy more cream or soap. I have plenty of aftershave (thanks to Floid), so no worries there. The only possible shortage this year will be blades.

Leaves me plenty of money to spend on accessories for my new camera!

I have in the past said that I was in, and that failed miserably. I will say this year that it is my sincere desire to take a purchase sabbatical in 2012, and we will see how it goes. :001_rolle

I have in the past said that I was in, and that failed miserably. I will say this year that it is my sincere desire to take a purchase sabbatical in 2012, and we will see how it goes. :001_rolle
Does that include pens and brushes....or are you setting yourself up for complete failure???? :001_tt2::001_tt2:

I am way more in than I would have thought a couple of weeks ago. I have one exception to list here, which is that I have funds earmarked for two brushes. I can't order them right now for a couple of reasons but will do so early in 2012. I also reserve the right to trade. Otherwise, yes, I'm in for a sabbatical. I have more soap, blades, and aftershave than I will ever use in my lifetime. I have two good DEs. Brushes as mentioned above plus my current brush (yes, just one badger at the moment). So no need to make purchases. And, with impending job changes and a move, yes, I ought to avoid buying stuff anyway.

One other caveat: I will be possibly buying some ingredients to try my hand at soapmaking later this year. It will be bath soaps to start, and in a sense, even when it's shave soap, it's really not shave-related consumerism per se. I don't know that this will happen, but if it does, it will happen with utmost restraint and beyond the initial outlay of cash expenditures will be determined by sales of the soaps I make.

Last edited:
Well I have 2 or 3 years worth of soaps and creams. The last thing I need is another brush or razor. The only purchases I'm planning is a scuttle and blades, a couple hundred Astras. I usually shave daily and change blades every 3 days.

In 2012 I will be selling some of the items that I don't need. Is this the thread where I do that?

-jim
+1 ... this is my resolution for 2012 as well.

I can't really afford to put any fresh money into the hobby at this time, so if I'm going to fund any purchases, it will have to come from selling off part of my collection. I've got duplicates of a lot of things, and items I bought and never used. Might as well get something out of them and recycle the funds.

Luckily, I've got just about everything I want by now ... and the items left on my wish list are either so rare or so expensive that I might never obtain them.

Then again, I told myself the same thing in 2011, and 2010, and 2009 ... and never got around to selling hardly anything.

Top Bottom