What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Off topic, but best use of Evernote:

Whenever you see something SWMBO might like, clip it if you're online, take a snapshot and clip it if you're in the real world. My default folder is "Gift Ideas for SWMBO". You'l thank me when anniversaries, St. Valentine's Day, birthdays, Christmas, etc., roll around.

I stick a "Bought" tag on them when I buy them so I don't get the same great idea twice.

That's a great idea, I like it.

Off topic, but best use of Evernote:

Whenever you see something SWMBO might like, clip it if you're online, take a snapshot and clip it if you're in the real world. My default folder is "Gift Ideas for SWMBO". You'l thank me when anniversaries, St. Valentine's Day, birthdays, Christmas, etc., roll around.

I stick a "Bought" tag on them when I buy them so I don't get the same great idea twice.

That's a great idea, I like it.

makes more sense then my folder names....

i'll be reorganizing my folders today. :thumbup:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
darnit....i always forget about evernote, my wife uses it all the time. much better then my text list on my phone. :blush:

i just checked and i had used it a few times for other B&B stuff (bob farvour & RV handles etc). time to start a new section "Wanted" or "To try" as well.
I prefer EverReader Pro, and use it on my iPad to organize all my work tech document and note. The one feature I like is that you can password lock it. Also, I find organizing categories easier.

On edit- the Pro versions of both are cheap, so you can try both to find out what you prefer.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I got through the 2112 sabbatical (second half anyway). I exhausted my TOBS Avocado and Rose and my RR Don Marco. I have nearly exhausted my Tabac. I still have plenty of Proraso (new green soap) and about 1/4 of a Cella and 1/4 of a RR Mughetto di Bologna.

What I have found out, as I 'thinned the herd' of dozens of soap and cream odds 'n ends I had leftover is that I really like a relatively few products, and I don't plan on restocking much. With almost 2 years of this under my belt, I guess, I enjoy shaving more, but it's still "just shaving". I am down to using one razor, one blade, and 2-3 brushes, and I'm happy as a clam. This after trying a half dozen razors, and a couple dozen blades and lather products.

In the always on-hand category will likely be Tabac, Cella and Proraso. That's it, and I can get these all from Italian Barber.

I loved TOBS Rose, but probably won't replace it, but my favorite product of all is QCS Green Irish Tweed. Maybe I'll lob an order in there and get a Rose Otto. I don't want to be ordering from a bunch of places (s&h goes up too much). I love my shaves, I enjoyed all the experimentation that went along with learning, but this sabbatical was good for me. I discovered I enjoy shaving more when I limit my product choices, I get superlative results that way.

Happy New Year, everyone!

last call for 2012 members wanting to participate in the 2013 Sabbatical.

understandable if you are all going to take the next year to enjoy and purchase as you please, but wanted to give you the heads up in case any of you had forgotten.

"new entrants for 2013 are to start 01/01. anyone in the 2012 who wish to join the 2013, the start is 01/06 (purchases can be made for them between 12/26 and 01/05)"

last call for 2012 members wanting to participate in the 2013 Sabbatical.

understandable if you are all going to take the next year to enjoy and purchase as you please, but wanted to give you the heads up in case any of you had forgotten.

"new entrants for 2013 are to start 01/01. anyone in the 2012 who wish to join the 2013, the start is 01/06 (purchases can be made for them between 12/26 and 01/05)"
You fellas have fun. I believe I'll sit this one out.

but my favorite product of all is QCS Green Irish Tweed.

I'm taking this as a sign that my QCS GIT gets the 3017 treatment next, starting tomorrow (the Tabac bit the dust today). I think it has maybe 15-20 shaves on it, so it'll be my longest test for one soap/cream, methinks.

I'm taking this as a sign that my QCS GIT gets the 3017 treatment next, starting tomorrow (the Tabac bit the dust today). I think it has maybe 15-20 shaves on it, so it'll be my longest test for one soap/cream, methinks.

i used that one up recently so it would be out of the way and finished it off 01-01. great performance, but didn't care for the mild soapy smell. i don't know what all the fuss was with this one.

proxy.php

Well, part A of my first haul of goodies (in 366 days) arrived. :thumbup1: The picture sucks because the batteries in my Speedlight died. :thumbdown

Haslinger sage and honey are going into the stockpile (in the event of a Vegan dictatorship that bans tallow based soaps). I have not tried the Seaweed but I love Haslinger soaps.

The DR Harris Windsor smells great! The Vie-Long Silvertip brush does not! Vie-Long makes as nice a brush as you can find but damn do they stink when new (this is my 2nd VL badger).

I haven't used any of this stuff yet. When part B arrives I'll post a photo.

proxy.php

Well, part A of my first haul of goodies (in 366 days) arrived. :thumbup1: The picture sucks because the batteries in my Speedlight died. :thumbdown

Haslinger sage and honey are going into the stockpile (in the event of a Vegan dictatorship that bans tallow based soaps). I have not tried the Seaweed but I love Haslinger soaps.

The DR Harris Windsor smells great! The Vie-Long Silvertip brush does not! Vie-Long makes as nice a brush as you can find but damn do they stink when new (this is my 2nd VL badger).

Nice haul. May the tallow be with you.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
proxy.php

Very nice. :thumbsup:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Received my B&B Essential brush and some blades from another member today. So I'm hunkered down for the 2013 sabbatical. Two in a row with a brief pit stop only taking on a few cheap grocery store aftershaves and 4 shave sticks. Do you think I can do it again? Wish me well.

Thanks all for participating and making it a fun adventure.

I didn't pledge but made it w/ no purchases. Finally moving back to the states in 2 weeks after 11 years overseas so NO Way I'm in for 2013.

Top Bottom