What's new

Old man, old woman scents

Ok Iam in a bit of a quandry...
here is what i have used and the comments I have received from them:

old spice, aqua velva, skin bracer, clubman (you smell like my grandpa)
pinaud bay rum (ugh too much)
tabac (you smell like a dog smells when they come back from the vet)
musgo real (too woodsy)
thayers rose or thayers lavender (old lady smell)
michelango water [a derivative of Davinci water]
proraso (medicinal)

now if i wear:
Issey Miyake
Issey Miyake Blue for men
Vera Wang for men (my favorite)
Cartier declaration?
Cartier Pasha

I hear only positive things from the gf and other ladies/women.

What scents should I look into? right now I am using Nanka (non scented as as aftershave so I can use a different scent from the below list). Regardless, I love my Old Spice.

You've got good taste, unfortunately not everyone appreciates these things.

If you'd like to try something that will stand out, and get noticed in a good way, I would recommend Envy by Gucci. Its a very nice deep oriental woodsy cologne that I think would be much suited for your taste, and will not make you smell old. It's the only thing by Gucci that I wear, much better than their other efforts.

Hopefully Issey Miyake will never go out of style :smile:.

What I don't understand is why are you concerned with what other people think. You should wear what you like as long as its not eau de skunk or something really offensive and to hell with what others say. If you were really concerned with other people's opinions you wouldn't even be wet shaving because most would think you odd since most use either an electric or cartridges.

What's wrong with smelling like an old man? :001_smile. They like it and they know it :tongue: .

On a more serious note, I understand what you mean because I always get more compliments if I wear one of my "lighter" and less conservative scents like Reaction by Kenneth Cole and Polo Blue. But wear what YOU like, if someone ever makes the "old man" comment I tell them "Thank you".

Ah yes, products that have stood the test of time! They are associated with "old people" because they have been around for a long time. And they have been around for a long time because a lot of people like them.

What I don't understand is why are you concerned with what other people think. You should wear what you like as long as its not eau de skunk or something really offensive and to hell with what others say. If you were really concerned with other people's opinions you wouldn't even be wet shaving because most would think you odd since most use either an electric or cartridges.

+1
Regardless of what they say, women like guys with the confidence to do their own thing and be themselves. That's a lot sexier then anything the department store brands can concoct.

Jordan

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Vera Wang for men (my favorite)

Well, there you go!

There is no B&B requirement that members use Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, &c. We tend to lean in that direction, but it's personal choice. That said, the last thing your GF wants to think about during the next makeout session is "this is like kissing my grandfather ... " ; that'll just weird her out on so many levels ... :eek: . Wear what you like, as long as it doesn't stink, and you don't put too much on. Make sure the GF likes it. Beyond that, be your own man, and if the nose police think you smell funny, too bad for them.

Now, I can't really offer further specific suggestions as the next step from your favourites, but maybe try a sample of the D&G that Marcellus Wallace mentioned.

(Oh heck, try to get some samples of Penhaligon's scents and see if you and she like them ... :rolleyes: )

Shaving soaps and creams really don't leave much of a lasting scent, so buy those for your own pleasure during the shave. Use a neutral scent skin toner and balm for after shave. Plenty of relatively neutral scented choices out there. I use Salicylic acid containing toner to prevent blemeshes. Then wear whatever cologne you and the GF fancy! I like Farenheit, and my wife picks me out a couple she likes as well for variety.

If you really want scented after shaves, buy the after shave product in the scent of your choice and mix it with a neutral scented witch hazel based toner for a decent toning after-shave splash.

I have reached the age where I kind of appreciate the extra room people give me in elevators and other crowded places. I wear the old man stuff, and if it wards the wife off in bed at night, so much the better...

Top Bottom