What's new

How much more aggressive is an Open Comb?

Recently I purchased a 12C (the open comb version of the long handled heavy duty 38C), it's a great razor, great size, weight, etc, but it seems quite aggressive to me.

Has anyone compared these two? Or can speak to open comb razors in general?

from what i've read on this topic, the OC models although looking more aggressive are not. Most or some folks feel that the straight bar models are better shavers. Gillette "new" OC models are popular and seem to please OC fans.
Evan

I have owned the HD both in straight bar and OC. IMO, the OC is indeed more agressive, but this has nothing to do with the (absence) of blade gap. Rather, the OC is agressive because between the teeth of the comb there is nothing between blade and skin. This allows you to get a very close shave.

However, for me the OC is just too 'scrapy' (can you say that? - I mean you sort of scrape the hair off your skin) for daily use. I ended up giving the OC away. Still, after a couple of days of growth, I like my 1904 OC to mow down the stubble.

I've been doing a comparison between the blades from the #4 sampler pack from R&B using two razors - a TV and an open comb NEW type. In each case the shave with the open comb is closer than with the TV leading me to the conclusion that the open comb is a more aggressive razor than the TV. It would be very interesting to try this comparison between the NEW and a red-tip. . . .

jim

Top Bottom