What's new

Aftershave v. Cologne

I've been watching some videos from the U.K. and I noticed that these guys use the words aftershave and cologne a little differently than we do here in north America. An I missing something, or is this how it is over there?

I'm guessing you're looking at Steve Faragher's videos? There does seem to be a difference in terminology. What we think of as "after shave" is typically a notch below cologne/EdC in terms of fragrance oil concentration, but they're generally not too far off. Some colognes like Alt-Innsbruck, Pinaud Citrus Musk, and Florida Water get wide use as after shave. Some products, such as Aqua Velva Musk, Col. Conk splashes, and Pinaud Clubman Musk/Special Reserve are even labelled "after shave cologne."

When in doubt, it's helpful to search these forums and see what others have said about a particular product. :001_smile

Those are all marketing terms anyways. There are technical definitions of edt/edc/edp/parfum, but in practice manufacturers call their products whatever they feel like.

Those are all marketing terms anyways. There are technical definitions of edt/edc/edp/parfum, but in practice manufacturers call their products whatever they feel like.

I believe it depends on what country you are talking about, some have strict labeling requirements (I believe France does for an example) but many do not. Some may have them but for one reason or another choose to not enforce them.

Top Bottom