What's new

Merry christmas! Question about old spice.

Just picked up a bottle at walmart the other day and used it for the first time in adout 30 yrs.This bottle says it is made in Canada.If I can remember to me it smells the same as it did 30 yrs ago.What is the difference between this bottle and the one made in India that they say is the original? Thanks

The India made one is made using the old Shulton formula. The Old Spice we have access to over here has been changed. There is a difference although to me it is slight.
Although a lot of guys prefer the old Shulton formula.

It's an ongoing debate that will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Many believe with a great deal of certainty that the scent of modern day Old Spice as manufactured by Proctor & Gamble is different from the scent of the Old Spice they remember from years ago when it was manufactured by Shulton.

Many believe that at some point P&G altered the formula of Old Spice after buying the brand from the original producer, Shulton. It has been repeated so often with such certainty, it has almost become accepted as fact. However, we don't know that it is a fact. Others suggest that while the formula may not have changed, P&G's change from glass to plastic bottles affected the scent.

In India, Old Spice is still produced under the Shulton name as part of a licensing agreement with P&G. Many claim that this Indian version is the original formula, and smells very different from the P&G version produced elsewhere.

Still others, including myself and my wife, think the current U.S. version smells just like the original Shulton version we remember from our youth. I'm 52 yrs old and used a lot of Old Spice back in the day, as did my father. She says it smells just like what her father used as well.

What does P&G say about all of this? They have stated unequivocally that they have not altered the formula.

What does all of this mean? It means that the sense of smell is very subjective, and we have conflicting information and opinions based on that. Just because it smells different, it doesn't necessarily follow that the formula was changed; there are several obvious explanations for that. I don't claim to know one way or the other, just that no one knows for sure.

In the end it doesn't matter. You do know what you believe, and what you like and don't like. YMMV - wear what you like!

Many believe with a great deal of certainty that the scent of modern day Old Spice as manufactured by Proctor & Gamble is different from the scent of the Old Spice they remember from years ago when it was manufactured by Shulton.

Many believe that at some point P&G altered the formula of Old Spice after buying the brand from the original producer, Shulton. It has been repeated so often with such certainty, it has almost become accepted as fact. However, we don't know that it is a fact. Others suggest that while the formula may not have changed, P&G's change from glass to plastic bottles affected the scent.

In India, Old Spice is still produced under the Shulton name as part of a licensing agreement with P&G. Many claim that this Indian version is the original formula, and smells very different from the P&G version produced elsewhere.

Still others, including myself and my wife, think the current U.S. version smells just like the original Shulton version we remember from our youth. I'm 52 yrs old and used a lot of Old Spice back in the day, as did my father. She says it smells just like what her father used as well.

What does P&G say about all of this? They have stated unequivocally that they have not altered the formula.

What does all of this mean? It means that the sense of smell is very subjective, and we have conflicting information and opinions based on that. Just because it smells different, it doesn't necessarily follow that the formula was changed; there are several obvious explanations for that. I don't claim to know one way or the other, just that no one knows for sure.

In the end it doesn't matter. You do know what you believe, and what you like and don't like. YMMV - wear what you like!

This is the best post I've read about this matter. I know I'll be quoting this at least once in the future.

I agree with you that this is an oft repeated RUMOR stated as "fact". I'm 61 and Old Spice still smells like Old Spice as I remember it from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on. I recently acquired an older OS glass bottle which still had the scent of OS in it. Smelled pretty much just like the current bottle I dumped in it (I prefer the old glass bottles for aesthetic and sentimental reasons).

Brilliant! Well said friend

I'll throw this out there as well. I have a couple of vintage bottles of original Schulton Old Spice, and it does smell different from modern Old Spice. However that is not difinitive either because the scent has likely changed as it has sat/been opened/slightly evaporated/been exposed to heat/etc. all these years.

I did find one empty vintage bottle, and I found the remaining scent in the bottle to be about the same as modern.

Well said

I've collected a number of different Shulton Old Spice bottles from varying sources & varying years, all in mint condition: up-opened, full bottles. They all smell the same to me. I also have several newer Old Spice glass bottles (again mint) with P&G marks on them. These are still older as P&G shipped glass for a while then switched to plastic a few years ago. The P&G smells distinctively different to me compared to the Shulton. The P&G Old spice has a much stronger vanilla and powder component. The P&G scent fades more quickly during the day while the Shulton lasts pretty much all day. A little Shulton goes a long way. I can splash the P&G On with abandon and still not reek. I have not tried the current off-the-shelf Old Spice or any of the new knock-offs - I like what I got on the shelf now and have plenty of it.

So regardless of what the truth is, be it difference in formulation, the aging process, cosmic coincidence or olfactory hallucination I trust my own proboscis enough to make the analysis. The fact that about twelve Shulton bottles all smell the same and three P&G Glass bottles plus a P&G Cologne all smell identical to each other and different from the Shulton is good enough for me to believe there is a difference. Both scents are great but I choose Shulton vs. P&G depending on what I feel like wearing that day and how much scent I want to project.

Last edited:
Look guys, there's no point in trying to resolve this. If we did, we could just go down to the local drugstore or supermarket, buy a bottle of Old Spice (assuming you could find it behind all the OS Denali, Moon Base, etc.) and be done with it. Where's the fun in that? What could we post about that here?

"Well, I got a bottle of Indian Shulton in the mail today. A friend of mine was in Mumbai and sent it back for me. Smells just like the one I bought at Wall-Mart."

"Yup. Me too."

"Hey, I scored a bottle on eBay in the 2nd Doctor Who decanter. It was full! Smells just like the current version!"

"Hey--have any of you guys tried the AS from the dollar store? If it wasn't in a different bottle, I'd think it was the new formulation!"

"Do you guys ever think about your dad when you shave? My dad was an Old Spice guy all the way. He just sent me a bottle that he found in his old footlocker up in the attic. Smells just like the new stuff I got at Walgreens!"

How long could we keep B&B going with posts like this? The Old Spice, Lilac Vegetal and Williams debates keep this place going. As far as I'm concerned, nothing short of a time machine at P&G headquarters will ever get the new stuff to smell like Shulton's, and I defy anyone to prove me wrong!!!

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've collected a number of different Shulton Old Spice bottles from varying sources & varying years, all in mint condition: up-opened, full bottles. They all smell the same to me. I also have several newer Old Spice glass bottles (again mint) with P&G marks on them. These are still older as P&G shipped glass for a while then switched to plastic a few years ago. The P&G smells distinctively different to me compared to the Shulton. The P&G Old spice has a much stronger vanilla and powder component. The P&G scent fades more quickly during the day while the Shulton lasts pretty much all day. A little Shulton goes a long way. I can splash the P&G On with abandon and still not reek. I have not tried the current off-the-shelf Old Spice or any of the new knock-offs - I like what I got on the shelf now and have plenty of it.

So regardless of what the truth is, be it difference in formulation, the aging process, cosmic coincidence or olfactory hallucination I trust my own proboscis enough to make the analysis. The fact that about twelve Shulton bottles all smell the same and three P&G Glass bottles plus a P&G Cologne all smell identical to each other and different from the Shulton is good enough for me to believe there is a difference. Both scents are great but I choose Shulton vs. P&G depending on what I feel like wearing that day and how much scent I want to project.

What he said.
Both are ok, but I can not, for the life of me, undertand how someone can not smell the difference.

What he said.
Both are ok, but I can not, for the life of me, undertand how someone can not smell the difference.

My dad has 2 Shulton bottles (been wearing it exclusively since college) and my Grandma gave him P&G Old Spice for Xmas. He cant smell the difference.

Top Bottom