What's new

Tony Miller's and Neil Miller's Strops

Based on all the positive comments about these two strop makers, especially the quality of their workmanship and their linen, I've decided to get a hanging strop from one of them. For most people the decision is made easier because of shipping: If you live in the US, you choose Tony; if if you live in Europe, you choose Neil. However, I live in Taiwan, so I'm assuming shipping will be similar (although I have yet to confirm this).

Based on some preliminary research, it looks like Neil's stops will be more expensive (even when backing out the VAT). I know it's difficult to compare because their leather will be different, but does anyone have any experience using similar strops from both manufacturers? Does it really just come down to location, or are there other differences that I should take note of?

Thanks.

I have one strop from each maker, but they are very different, so a useful comparison is hard to make. My Neil Miller is nearly 3 years old and a basic design, my Tony Miller is almost new and a bit more fancy.
They are both very fine strops, and both sellers are gents.
The NM has remained perfectly flat despite being 2.5" wide and very long. The padded handle is very comfortable.
The TM has the edge cosmetically; the precision and attention to detail is remarkable.

Again, it's not a good comparison. The Tony Miller cost me 3 or 4 times as much, making the Neil Miller better value. And I hate to mark the NM down for looks, as there's nothing wrong with it; it's just that the TM gives the impression of being cut and assembled by Japanese robots to 1/1000" tolerances. Also NM has moved upmarket in his designs since I bought mine from him.

I have one strop from Tony Miller (bought it here in the BST) and four from Neil (two basic and two top quality ones). Neil's strops are very very good but also very expensive. What struck me after I got the TM Artisan 'Notovan' strop is the smooth draw it offered, I've fallen in love with it really now. That's not to say NM's strops are not as good, it's just that to my level of expertise and experience the TM strop seems to be better suited at the moment.

But simply by looking, touching and feeling the top-of-the-range NM strops (I have the English Bridle/Genuine Linen hanging one and the magnetic paddle one) you can see that they're truly top notch. Perhaps when I get to break them in a bit I'll be able to comment more on them.

Both makers are highly recommended, and to me frankly, a must.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Neil Miller magnetic strop, horn handle.

I own, and have used both.

The only difference, is my Tony Miller has cotton webbing as a second component, and the Neil Miller has nautral linen. Neil Miller's linen absolutely brings an edge to life, and the burgundy Bridle leather improves a coticule edge like no other leather I have tried...
Neil also has access to some very heavy duty Dee rings, that not only give a good grip, but add to the aesthetics of the entire package..

Both makers are great, but I expect my Neil Miller strop to be the last one I will ever buy... and use.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just received my Tony Miller strop for Christmas and must say that the Natural Linen and extra sturdy handles set it apart from the rest. The quality of the leather also is above and beyond expectations. When his website says buttery smooth he is not kidding it felt incredibly smooth.

Okay, folks, my quest has ended. I'm going to be ordering from Tony. Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate all of your comments.

Again, it's not a good comparison. The Tony Miller cost me 3 or 4 times as much, making the Neil Miller better value.
What models are you referring to here? Right now, I'm seeing the NM basic strop being over 2x as much as the TM offerings.
By comparison, the TM strops are comparably priced with the Mountain Mike's.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What models are you referring to here? Right now, I'm seeing the NM basic strop being over 2x as much as the TM offerings.

If you check Neil's bargain basement he has one for 10.00 GBP, so what, about 16.00us ? Tony also sells the beginner strop if when you buy a heirloom at the same time.

If you check Neil's bargain basement he has one for 10.00 GBP, so what, about 16.00us ? Tony also sells the beginner strop if when you buy a heirloom at the same time.
Ahh... I was comparing like-for-like full-house with handles and leather/linen and wasn't seeing anything below $150us.

I just received my Tony Miller strop for Christmas and must say that the Natural Linen and extra sturdy handles set it apart from the rest. The quality of the leather also is above and beyond expectations. When his website says buttery smooth he is not kidding it felt incredibly smooth.

You could not make a bad choice between these two artisans...

Enjoy your new strop!

Have on NM latino bought when I first started straight razor shaving, still have it and it's very good. Since I have bought a old traditional TM horsehide strop with linen, very happy with this one and coinsidence today arrived a a dual leather steer hide Old Timer in a 2 1/2" width, I think I'm going to use this one even more then the horsehide one. But both Neil and Tony make excellent strops.

My strops:
Tony Miller - New 2 1/2" Old Timer Paragon Steerhide Strop with Handles; with Genuine Linen upgrade - $88 + $30 international post (£78.69) and a further £23.23 to the UK taxman)- Sep 2011
Neil Miller - Long Black Latigo - £27 + £3.75 post - Jan 2009 (He discounted £7.95 when he saw a minor crease near handle before despatch! That smoothed out long ago.)
Dovo - Prima Rindleder leather & canvas - £31.99 + £3.95 post - Nov 2008

So I paid £30.75 (NM) vs £101.92 (TM).
Now TM has no control over our taxman, and we are comparing a single component utilitarian strop against a 2 component luxury one.
But you can see why I see my NM as huge value for money.

Attachments

• $Stropsb.jpg
    $Stropsb.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 449
It is sad that Neil has passed. But we get to think of him and his craftsmanship each time the razor goes back and forth.

Top Bottom