What's new

Body Toolz TTO Razor

So, I had shown my mom a couple of my DE razors while she was in town over Thanksgiving. One of the things she sent me for Christmas is a Body Toolz TTO razor with five 7 O'Clock blades. Anybody used one of these razors?

$CS5500.jpg

Made from all stainless steel. Weight 2 oz.
:sosp:

http://www.bodytoolz.com/Vintage-Safety-Razor.aspx

Last edited:
Well, the package says Vintage Safety Razor, so the other claims are suspect to say the least. I vote for Hong Kong junk. Also, I think these are all over eBay for a lot less than $30.

Well, the package says Vintage Safety Razor, so the other claims are suspect to say the least. I vote for Hong Kong junk. Also, I think these are all over eBay for a lot less than $30.

I vote for Pakistani junk. A razor similiar to this was being sold in the past as a Sabi Gen. It was very shoddily built.

Note on the packaging, that it says "5 blades per pack", and then immediately after that "all stainless steel". So the "all stainless steel" could be describing the blades themselves, and not the razor. If that is true, the packaging is extremely misleading.

I am not buying it is a stainless steel razor at all.

The same razor is sold via Carol Wright (for only $14.99), but there they actually claim it is a Gillette razor:

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/Per...dge-Safety-Razor/84669.cfm?clickSource=SEARCH

It actually says on the back of the package that it is an all-stainless razor. It also says that it is made in Pakistan.

I think I'll shave with it tomorrow. The weight of the razor isn't bad - not too heavy, not too light. The handle itself has a substantial feel. The opening dial is near the top and feels a bit loose, though the doors do open and close smoothly. The pivot point/balance point is between the dial and the first ring. Mine is a bit different than the razor shown here. The handle on mine is knurled directly below the opening dial and at the bottom of the razor, both areas which are smooth on the razor below. If it provides a decent shave, it might be a good travel razor that I won't be too worried about losing.

Finally shaved with this thing this morning using one of the included 7 O'Clock blades, MWF, and my silvertip badger. The handle definitely feels solid, however, I don't think I like having the TTO dial at the top. Since it is slightly larger in diameter than the rest of the handle, I found a tendency to hold it there while shaving (this may be due to my having used my Fatboy and Red-Tip for the past week or two). Probably wouldn't be an issue, but there is some looseness to the dial - I just have to remember to hold the razor just below the dial.

Based on my admittedly limited experience, I have to say that the razor seems to be in the midpoint between aggressive and mild. My perceptions might be skewed, as I haven't used the 7 O'Clock blades, so I don't know how much to attribute to the razor or the blade. The razor does seem to give good feedback as you shave. I ended up with a DFS on my first shave with almost no razor burn and no nicks or cuts.

While I doubt I would have bought this razor for myself, I'll probably keep it and set it aside for travel use as it does provide a decent shave and I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I lost it.

Some people think stainless steel dosen't rust, but there are many grades of stainless. I have had stainless exhausts on vehicles that would get surface rust. It looks solid and decent, just make sure you keep it dry.

Top Bottom