What's new

Which aspect of shaving does "YMMV" effect the most?

To which shaving variable does YMMV apply the most?

• Razor blades

• Soap or cream

• Brush

• Razor

• Prep and technique

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, it would have to be shaving cream/ shaving soap.

I am continuously baffled as to how anyone can like, (and willing use) Modern Williams. In my hands, it is absolute garbage, that has ZERO usage for shaving. The fact that some people actually like it (and willing use it given the 100's of other superior choices) is truly mind baffling.

I can use just about any well constructed brush, just about any well constructed razor, and just about any blade of decent quality.

I'm going with blades. Not only does each blade react differently for each person, I find they are dramatically affected by the razor you use them with and the technique of the shaver.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For me, it would have to be shaving cream/ shaving soap.

I am continuously baffled as to how anyone can like, (and willing use) Modern Williams. In my hands, it is absolute garbage, that has ZERO usage for shaving. The fact that some people actually like it (and willing use it given the 100's of other superior choices) is truly mind baffling.

I can use just about any well constructed brush, just about any well constructed razor, and just about any blade of decent quality.

I'll bet if the same question and same poll were taken 4-5 years ago the results would be more in line with this way of thinking. The Williams thing is just one example, but a good one as it is somewhat extreme. Perhaps I am simply out of touch, but most of my YMMV discussions over the years have been lather product related.

Though I think YMMV applies almost as much for soaps/creams I have to go for blades. Maybe there is less debate about blades (compared to certain soaps) because we accept the YMMV-principle more concerning blades. Usually statements on blades are followed by the polite YMMV-phrase while the soap debates tend to be a little harsher (Williams comes to mind, yes, but some others can stirr up things as well). It is probably as hard to believe I get a perfect and stable Williams lather as it is for me to believe it doesn't work at all for some others.

But what boggles my mind most is when somebody lists 3 great blades that I like as well but comes up with my all times fav blade and calls it the worst he encountered. It is very hard to see the coherence in some peoples lists because it is packed with blades in all my categories; from totally useless to great all in a row.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Though I think YMMV applies almost as much for soaps/creams I have to go for blades. Maybe there is less debate about blades (compared to certain soaps) because we accept the YMMV-principle more concerning blades. Usually statements on blades are followed by the polite YMMV-phrase while the soap debates tend to be a little harsher (Williams comes to mind, yes, but some others can stirr up things as well). It is probably as hard to believe I get a perfect and stable Williams lather as it is for me to believe it doesn't work at all for some others.

But what boggles my mind most is when somebody lists 3 great blades that I like as well but comes up with my all times fav blade and calls it the worst he encountered. It is very hard to see the coherence in some peoples lists because it is packed with blades in all my categories; from totally useless to great all in a row.

This is probably where I am out of touch then. I have locked in on two(2) blades, Feather and Red IP, and rarely engage in blade specific conversations. I see no value in tinkering with this so I buy my blades in hundred packs and don't give it much thought.

Lathering products, on the other hand, have kept my attention continually since joining B&B. On the two hour drive to my parents house today my wife asked how I liked the shave soap that our youngest bought me for Christmas and we got talking about all the soaps and creams I have used since joining B&B. Neither one of us can think of one that I bought twice and I still have many others to try out yet.

So perhaps I'm an anomaly or maybe the lather scouts are too busy in the cream and soap forums to weigh in.

This will be seen as a blasphemous statement on here: 98% of the problems/likes/dislikes with blades stems DIRECTLY from the relatively recent explosion of blade samplers and worldwide internet ordering. Do you think Joe Dimaggio was trying out 35 different DE blades? Or Patton? I think not.

Of the YMMV categories listed in the poll, put me strong down for creams and soaps. The ability and/or inability to get good performance out of various products is a major factor--but I think our individual sense of smell is an even stronger dividing line. Just look at a few of the usual suspects that get either kissed or flogged based on scent alone: Tabac; rose anything; TOBS Avocado; patchouli; DR Harris Marlborough, etc...

This will be seen as a blasphemous statement on here: 98% of the problems/likes/dislikes with blades stems DIRECTLY from the relatively recent explosion of blade samplers and worldwide internet ordering. Do you think Joe Dimaggio was trying out 35 different DE blades? Or Patton? I think not.
There was also a different standard for "good shave" in those days.

We've been striving for the BBS with an irritation-free ATG pass, and many of us have been able to do that consistently with multiblade carts. When I use the M3 or Fusion, I run 100% ATG... The only time I start with a WTG pass is when I've mowing a 3+ day's growth, and that's only because of the excessive clogging of the cart if I start out ATG.
So what we really want is to feel no stubble when we rub our hands ATG... 50+ years ago, a "good shave" was one that left no visible stubble on a fair-haired man.
My father was an electric shaver and was always happy with that. When on vacation, he'd use an injector... strictly WTG, and his "freshly shaven" look matched the electric.

I've never been happy with my results from either an electric, or from a pure WTG pass. Both of those leave me with my normal 24-hour growth from an ATG BBS.

So IMHO, the "YMMV" issue and epidemic of irritation and "bad shaves" comes from a couple of sources... bad technique developed through years of pivoting-head cart shaving, and expectations that exceed the skill level of the relative novice

I prefer my straights. Been using them for a couple of months now, and just a couple of nights ago, did my first straight headshave.
The Fusion still gives me a closer, more BBS than the straights... but the difference is, 12 hours later, the straight shave is then better than the Fusion shave.
Can't really explain it, if it's closer at 5 minutes, it should be closer at 5+ hours, but it's not.

For me anyways.

YMMV :wink:

I don't think it's the sampler packs. Rather, it's the internet which now makes it easy for us crazies to find and encourage one another. I'm sure Joe Dimaggio would have tried 35 blades if his teammates were routinely debating the merits of Gillette over derby.

BTW: I voted for brushes. People seem to be all over the place in terms of what there like best. One guy will be all into 18-20mm, another 28-30mm. Granted, this will not affect the shave as much as other factors, but it is a HUGE difference in terms of experience.

I don't think it's the sampler packs. Rather, it's the internet which now makes it easy for us crazies to find and encourage one another. I'm sure Joe Dimaggio would have tried 35 blades if his teammates were routinely debating the merits of Gillette over derby.
No doubt! :laugh:

I mentioned the blade samplers and ease of ordering 35-40 different blades fueling the YMMV "dilemma" because without those these discussions on our various blade trials and tribulations wouldn't exist. If there were only two or three different blades easily accessible to us, the debates with our fellow shavers would be much different than what we read in the forums today. You'd go to the corner drug and pick up your pack of Gillettes or Personnas and you'd learn to make it work for you.

Maybe not Joe Dimaggio, but Joe Blow in Paducah shaved with whatever he could buy locally. One, maybe 2 passes, strictly North-South/South-North, put toilet paper over the dozen or so cuts he got every day, and had 5 o'clock shadow so heavy he had to shave again before going out to dinner.

We just have different expectations around here.

I'm at the stage now where I can get a good shave with about anything, but I find the soap/cream the biggest variable in my shaving comfort. A good soap gives me a nice glide and cushion, but a poor soap is just washing my face.

Top Bottom