View Poll Results: To which shaving variable does YMMV apply the most?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Razor blades

61 64.21%
  • Soap or cream

15 15.79%
  • Brush

2 2.11%
  • Razor

7 7.37%
  • Prep and technique

10 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which aspect of shaving does "YMMV" effect the most?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Which aspect of shaving does "YMMV" effect the most?

I'm curious which aspect of shaving BBers think vary the most according to personal preferences.

For me, it's the razor blades. It's not easy for me to hear how one blade can be great for Joe but cuts up Al. But hey, that's just me.

There is no "all of the above" choice because I want responders to opine about which they feel is most important variable. It is clear that all of the above have a dramatic effect on shave quality, but I prefer to have more specific responses.
    Last edited by Teddyboy; 12-24-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I believe that it is blades. While some have problems with certain soaps or creams, the blades seem to be the one variable in which there is little consensus. Many love Feathers, I like them in my Tech but find them no better and actually worse than an Astra SP or a Red IP in my other DEs.
    It is just soap, hot water and a sharp blade. It isn't rocket science or a Zen ritual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I think its technique. Two people can have the same razor, blades, soap, etc. and have drastically different results.
    - Steve

Make no little plans, they have no magic to stir men's blood...make big plans (Burnham)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Razor blades for sure
    My name is Chris. I'm addicted to shaving and heavily influenced by enablers.

Load it like you hate it! Full fledged 3017'er/ Official 2014 Sabbatical participant

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I couldn't vote because there'e no place for "All of the Above."
    Randall. BOTOC, Excalibur, Hot Sauce Pepper Heads Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

No all of the above? I realize the question is "most" but I think it really affects them all. It still baffles me how many people don't accept the concept though.
    Shaves aren't given by razors, they are performed by humans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I'd say out of the choices, razor blades are the one variable that has the most varied results. I've tried more than my fair share of different brands and for me, it always comes down to the Feather being best for my beard.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Images

Lathering products are most likely to react differently with different water and different skin types. While YMMV may affect preference in the blade category, most of us could muddle through with a blade that we don't prefer, but a bad reaction to a certain lathering product is definitely a deal breaker.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blades, and right behind blades, razors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All of the above.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Images

Blades.
    Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Razor Blades!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blades. I only have one razor, and with my beard it appears as though I'm confined to the few blades at the sharp end of the blade continuum. A more agressive razor might make it easier to use a wider range.
    - Jim . . . "None of us is as smart as all of us" - Blanchard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I couldn't vote because there'e no place for "All of the Above."
    +1

Of that list, I'd say that probably the least important would be the brush.
    The razor and blade are both dependent on technique.
    The soap or cream perhaps less so, but there are still variations...
    Too much or not enough water?
    Not enough brush loading?
    Not enough time spent lathering?
    Hardness of water?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyboy View Post
    I'm curious which aspect of shaving BBers think vary the most according to personal preferences.

For me, it's the razor blades. It's not easy for me to hear how one blade can be great for Joe but cuts up Al. But hey, that's just me.

There's a set of electron microscope pictures of various blade edges on another board out there that shows just different every blade brand really is.
    It's actually amazing how different every edge is up close.
    Just call me Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would also go with all of the above.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Images

I have a hard time believing these results. There's so much debate that goes on about MWF, Williams, and other lathering products. Is there a weekly blade bashing thread with Top Gumby writing cute little ditties? I don't think so, but there is the endless Williams debate threads.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Blades, their comfort and their durability, is the biggest variable in wet shaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I'm reading the OP's question as talking about the YMMV principle, I read that as the "one person loves it, another person hates it", NOT "Which item can affect your shave the most"...

Although I do think the blade can affect the shave more than most other items, I think blades see much more common ground that what the responses indicate. There are exceptions, Derby, for example, but often when blade choices come into question it is more based on price than actual performance. It seems like those who report to like the more controversial blades are looking for the best "value". When the low-priced/less (generally) loved blades get discussed in a positive light it's often more of a "These blades are very good for me, and they are CHEAP" not that the blade is the best they have ever used.

I see soap as being a far more YMMV item. Among just a few variable in the soaps are the local water supply of the person using the soap, the scent, the slickness, the cushion density, the stability of the lather (or lack of it when talking Williams), the person's expectations of how the soap should perform, what kind of brush they are using, are they face lathering or bowl lathering, loading from the puck, or applying directly to the face "shave stick style", certain ingredients that some want to avoid (SLS, parabens), ease of loading, not to mention the same type of people as in the blade example who factor *cost* into the equation when evaluating how good or bad something is... each of these drastically affects the individual's perception of the performance of the soap (or cream).

I have a water softener, so my water is always perfectly soft. The soaps that I get wonderful results from, might be really meh for someone in a hard water area. On the converse of this, a soap that someone else who has terribly hard water just LOVES, will still lather at least as well for me as it does for them, but the ones that do NOT lather well for them in the hard water will (often) lather BETTER than their favorite soap for me.

If we were talking "what affects the shave the most" I would vote blades, but since we are talking what epitomizes YMMV, I've got to vote for soaps/creams.
    Brian - I think it would be totally inappropriate for me to even contemplate what I am thinking about.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by santamariasteve View Post
    Blades, their comfort and their durability, is the biggest variable in wet shaving.
    +1. Just ask a question about Feather and you will see.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil
    (at) badgerandblade.com

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiast.
    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum." Jack Kemp.
    "Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open." Words of advice from my late mother.

Check Out the B&B YouTube Channel and the B&B Video Library for some great information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast