What's new

Aggressive Gillette's

I know that the concept of most aggressive Gillette has been discussed before but my query is slightly different.
I am on an aggressive razor chase and I have most versions of the Gillette 3 piece open comb that I use (Bulldog, New Standard and New w/brw) I find them all to be great shavers and don't really get shredded or even nicked for that matter. I have heard talk that the Red Tip an the Aristocrat were aggressive and possibly the 'Most' aggressive Gillette. I was just wondering if they were more so than the earlier 3 piece design or not? and if so were there any particular years or models in particular.
Cheers

In my opinion the red tip and Aristo are not even close to the others you mention. Fine well built razors but nowhere as aggressive.

[YMMV] I use Red Tip and Aristocrat regularly. To me, they shave the same way, and are not aggressive at all paired with most of the blades I've used them with. From all Gillette razors I've tried (except NEW Improved), Old Type is the most aggressive with the most blade brands I've tried them with, considering my way of shaving, hairs and skin conditions. [/YMMV]

you should try a vest pocket model,they are more aggressive than an old style,and speaking of old styles have you tried one?

I have shaved with all of these recently . I would rank in order of aggressiveness most to least:
1. Old type single ring/big fellow
2. New improved (bostonian/tuckaway)
3. New (red/black set)
4. Red Tip superspeed
5. Aristocrat (actually a president, but should shave the same)

If you notice it seems to progress chronologically the oldest were the most aggressive moving forward they became less aggressive IMHO. It seems to me that the 3 piece was the most aggressive design in general and the least was the TTO.
If you want to try a TTO Gillette I would suggest the Red Tip as the most aggressive but it is much more mild then any of the earlier open comb models. I like aggressive razors and the only TTO I find I like at all is the red tip, so give the redtip a shot and if its too mild don't even mess with any of the other TTO gillettes. Try some non-gillette open comb models you will be more happy with these such as the Barbasol, single ring clones, and the french/german open combs as well as a GEM single edge.
Just curious do you guys have any razors that come from the land downunder? I would be surprised if there is not but I have never seen or heard of one.

So in summary I don't think any of the TTO gillettes are aggressive.
Aaron

Cheers for all the feedback. How does the Single Ring and Bulldog compare, Im pretty sure they have the same head just different handle?

As to any Australian razors I don't think there are any and if there were/are I don't think they are all that common.

I have tried a few of the other open combs I have a Leresche and vintage Merker open comb that I like , I still find the earlier Gillettes a bit more aggressive than the foreign models. I do have a gem 1912 but there are no readily available single edge blades in Australia so I haven't tried it yet but have heard a lot about the single edges being good.

The chronological aspect of "aggressiveness" makes perfect sense. Before safety razors, men shaved with straight razors. Before WWI, most men did not shave every day. In order to be accepted, early razors needed to have some "bite" to them or else they would be dismissed as inferior. A mild razor would not have worked in that era.

Try taking down a three or four-day growth with a Super Speed . . . the Old Type works much better! By the late '30s, daily shaving was the norm and many men had never shaved with a straight razor. Gillette was able to produce the more profitable Tech razor and have it accepted by the public, whereas a mild solid-bar design probably would not have been accepted by the marketplace in 1904.

Top Bottom