What's new

Mama Bear's Soaps

my sample pack just came in. Wanting to shave again just for the hell of it. I think my wife had more fun going through the packets and smelling them all and telling me which ones in order to try..

Well, it's official....glycerin soaps (melt and pour) and my face do not get along. It actually made my neck react. Who knew? This was my 2nd shave with YOB.
However I am not here to bash the soap....on the contrary, I love the scent of Ye Old Barbershoppe.

Last edited:
There is a scent for everybody there. Ye Olde Barbershop is my favorite of all time but I really like Mandarin Ice and Good Morning Honey! among many others. I don't think she makes Good Morning Honey! any more so if you come across it pick it up you will not regret it.

Well, it's official....glycerin soaps (melt and pour) and my face do not get along. It actually made my neck react. Who knew? This was my 2nd shave with YOB.
However I am not here to bash the soap....on the contrary, I love the scent of Ye Old Barbershoppe.
I love MB soaps, Vanilla Musk is my favorite. That being said Ye Old Barbershoppe lit my face on fire and I had to PIF it. Did all her soaps burn your neck or jus YOB?

I love MB soaps, Vanilla Musk is my favorite. That being said Ye Old Barbershoppe lit my face on fire and I had to PIF it. Did all her soaps burn your neck or jus YOB?

YOB will get a slight tingle out of me by the time I get to the 4th pass, after I rinse i'm fine, but I can see how some might have a problem with it. I don't believe the problem was the glycerin based soap but the EO and Frag Oils in YOB that causes the tingle in me, one other soap of hers lit me up, the rest have been fantastic.

I'm a total newbie to DE shaving and have been reading this forum religiously. I just ordered 5 samples from Sue and I am excited to try them. They are:

Berkeley hills
patchouli
masonic lodge
hinoki
winter woods

I have been very impressed by everything I have read about her products and look forward to finding my first soap! I have only been using creams so far.

hinoki smells great but is incredibly strong. after I tried it, without using a balm/splash after the shave, just a rinse and towel dry, my wife could smell it across the room and I could smell it on me literally until the next morning (I typically shave around 7p), it lathers great but was simply way to strong for me.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
hinoki smells great but is incredibly strong. after I tried it, without using a balm/splash after the shave, just a rinse and towel dry, my wife could smell it across the room and I could smell it on me literally until the next morning (I typically shave around 7p), it lathers great but was simply way to strong for me.

Nuke it a few times to evaporate some of the scent. Of course, this means your microwave and kitchen (maybe the whole house) will end up smelling like Hinoki :001_tongu

I've tried tons of soaps and creams. Mama Bear Almond is my favorite by far (for the price) It gets the job done and smells great. Yes, there are better, but they cost a LOT more.

After trying a dozen or so Mama Bears, I ordered three Almonds. The others were good, but nothing touches the almond.

Over the past few years I've tried a number of Mama Bear's soaps, several having been reordered :) Sadly some have been discontinued :(

Mysore Sandalwood
Sandalwood Rose
Sandalwood Vanilla
Green Irish Tweed Type
Giovanni's Tuscan Memories
Rosemary Mint
Lime, Ice & Menthol
Patchouli EO
Christmas Rose

My first order of Mama Bear's soaps arrived today. I only ordered one puck -- Ye Olde Barbershop. I'll say this -- it works a TREAT! Very nice soap, fragrance is very light, lighter than I like, but OK. Nice lather, and worked well with my Red Imp wedge SR.

Love her Mysore Sandalwood. I also liked the Wood and Apple Stuffed French Toast novelty soaps, which work perfect as soaps and have smells that would suck for people on diets unless it counts as one of those aroma therapy things (paying someone to make you hungry... weird..). The Pepperberry sample was awesome, sadly I got to it after I found it was no longer there... :( That is an amazing smell as well though.

Also love her aftershave milk, Aged Spice is an amazing smell. I am wondering about trying the Irish Tweed, and I haven't heard of Giovanni's, but she has so many I might have just not remembered it. So many scents to try.

I got frustrated trying to chase the samples around the bowl with my brush. My solution was to hold the sample in my hand while I applied the brush to it - worked great.

I also love the MB soaps, but unfortunately I have been allergic to a fair number of the scents, which is really a shame since the scents are fantastic. I received a tub of YOB yesterday and was worried I would be allergic to that, but, I shaved with it this morning and all is well! Pretty happy camper here since I'm only batting around .500 when it comes to MB scents agreeing with my face. I'm glad YOB is a winner for me.

Up next tomorrow is MB "berkeley", which I LOVE the scent of in the tub, and I will be gutted if I am allergic to it.

I just received my latest order yesterday. In a moment of panic when we thought she was closing down, I ordered 2 x Bay Rum, 2 x Lemon Ice, and 2 x Lime Cilantro. I almost immediately regretted not ordering YOB and Dragon's Blood, but Sue's still in business, so maybe I'll order some more soon. I used the Bay Rum this morning and I loved it. I'm looking forward to the Lemon Ice, but I'm a little concerned that it won't have the same citrusy punch that the Lime Ice has (based on initial smell). I will let you know how it works out.

Of course YMMV but So far Mama Bears soaps have out performed my D.R. Harris Arlington & Marlborough by a long shot.

I have Aromatic Pipe Tobacco (love the cherry tobacco scent), Christmas Forest (has a great outdoors pine scent) and a Sandalwood/Vanilla shave stick which I used last night and loved! it has smell very similar to Pinaud Clubman after shave which I also love.

I tend to have some trouble lathering soaps and I've tried quite a few different brands and Mama Bears is up there with the best! nice thick, slick lather and great scents. Will definitely be ordering more in the future along with some of her bath soaps and maybe one of those microwavable teddy bears she has for my lady friend :thumbup:

I got frustrated trying to chase the samples around the bowl with my brush. My solution was to hold the sample in my hand while I applied the brush to it - worked great.

Something I did when I order some samples from her was wrap a little bit of tin foil around one end to keep it from slipping out of my fingers then used it as a shave stick. Worked great! I was able to get at lease 3 shaves from each sample!

Top Bottom