Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mama Bear's Soaps

my sample pack just came in. Wanting to shave again just for the hell of it. I think my wife had more fun going through the packets and smelling them all and telling me which ones in order to try..

Images

Well, it's official....glycerin soaps (melt and pour) and my face do not get along. It actually made my neck react. Who knew? This was my 2nd shave with YOB.
    However I am not here to bash the soap....on the contrary, I love the scent of Ye Old Barbershoppe.
    Last edited by dieselfuel79; 05-03-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Self proclaimed Slant-aholic - 2012, 2013 MOvember participant

There is a scent for everybody there. Ye Olde Barbershop is my favorite of all time but I really like Mandarin Ice and Good Morning Honey! among many others. I don't think she makes Good Morning Honey! any more so if you come across it pick it up you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuel79 View Post
    Well, it's official....glycerin soaps (melt and pour) and my face do not get along. It actually made my neck react. Who knew? This was my 2nd shave with YOB.
    However I am not here to bash the soap....on the contrary, I love the scent of Ye Old Barbershoppe.
    I love MB soaps, Vanilla Musk is my favorite. That being said Ye Old Barbershoppe lit my face on fire and I had to PIF it. Did all her soaps burn your neck or jus YOB?
    Jay
    LOSER, Cult of Arko, The CHOSEN

Quote Originally Posted by cryhavoc View Post
    I love MB soaps, Vanilla Musk is my favorite. That being said Ye Old Barbershoppe lit my face on fire and I had to PIF it. Did all her soaps burn your neck or jus YOB?
    YOB will get a slight tingle out of me by the time I get to the 4th pass, after I rinse i'm fine, but I can see how some might have a problem with it. I don't believe the problem was the glycerin based soap but the EO and Frag Oils in YOB that causes the tingle in me, one other soap of hers lit me up, the rest have been fantastic.
    Don't like your job? There's a support group called Everybody & they meet at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyAggie View Post
    I'm a total newbie to DE shaving and have been reading this forum religiously. I just ordered 5 samples from Sue and I am excited to try them. They are:

Berkeley hills
    patchouli
    masonic lodge
    hinoki
    winter woods

I have been very impressed by everything I have read about her products and look forward to finding my first soap! I have only been using creams so far.
    hinoki smells great but is incredibly strong. after I tried it, without using a balm/splash after the shave, just a rinse and towel dry, my wife could smell it across the room and I could smell it on me literally until the next morning (I typically shave around 7p), it lathers great but was simply way to strong for me.
    Don't like your job? There's a support group called Everybody & they meet at the bar.

rockviper is offline I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiis big!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrown View Post
    hinoki smells great but is incredibly strong. after I tried it, without using a balm/splash after the shave, just a rinse and towel dry, my wife could smell it across the room and I could smell it on me literally until the next morning (I typically shave around 7p), it lathers great but was simply way to strong for me.
    Nuke it a few times to evaporate some of the scent. Of course, this means your microwave and kitchen (maybe the whole house) will end up smelling like Hinoki
    Me likey soaps ~Sam ..... 3017ing Klar Kabinett ... Using a 5-bladed ladies Schick in Sept

Quote Originally Posted by rockviper View Post
    Nuke it a few times to evaporate some of the scent. Of course, this means your microwave and kitchen (maybe the whole house) will end up smelling like Hinoki
    it was a sample size, not worth the effort. I'll just stick to other frag's

I've tried tons of soaps and creams. Mama Bear Almond is my favorite by far (for the price) It gets the job done and smells great. Yes, there are better, but they cost a LOT more.

After trying a dozen or so Mama Bears, I ordered three Almonds. The others were good, but nothing touches the almond.

I just got a Turkish Mocha in the mail and it is awesome. Highly reccomend.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks you needed a new one.

Definitely try out Mama Bear's shave sticks. Lot's of choices.
    BOTOC member

Images

YOB is the only MB soap I have had the chance to try.
    Self proclaimed Slant-aholic - 2012, 2013 MOvember participant

Over the past few years I've tried a number of Mama Bear's soaps, several having been reordered :) Sadly some have been discontinued :(

Mysore Sandalwood
    Sandalwood Rose
    Sandalwood Vanilla
    Green Irish Tweed Type
    Giovanni's Tuscan Memories
    Rosemary Mint
    Lime, Ice & Menthol
    Patchouli EO
    Christmas Rose
    Bob

My first order of Mama Bear's soaps arrived today. I only ordered one puck -- Ye Olde Barbershop. I'll say this -- it works a TREAT! Very nice soap, fragrance is very light, lighter than I like, but OK. Nice lather, and worked well with my Red Imp wedge SR.
    FatBoy - Mergress - Heljestrand Mk 31 - Red Imp - AoMM

Love her Mysore Sandalwood. I also liked the Wood and Apple Stuffed French Toast novelty soaps, which work perfect as soaps and have smells that would suck for people on diets unless it counts as one of those aroma therapy things (paying someone to make you hungry... weird..). The Pepperberry sample was awesome, sadly I got to it after I found it was no longer there... :( That is an amazing smell as well though.

Also love her aftershave milk, Aged Spice is an amazing smell. I am wondering about trying the Irish Tweed, and I haven't heard of Giovanni's, but she has so many I might have just not remembered it. So many scents to try.

I got frustrated trying to chase the samples around the bowl with my brush. My solution was to hold the sample in my hand while I applied the brush to it - worked great.

I also love the MB soaps, but unfortunately I have been allergic to a fair number of the scents, which is really a shame since the scents are fantastic. I received a tub of YOB yesterday and was worried I would be allergic to that, but, I shaved with it this morning and all is well! Pretty happy camper here since I'm only batting around .500 when it comes to MB scents agreeing with my face. I'm glad YOB is a winner for me.

Up next tomorrow is MB "berkeley", which I LOVE the scent of in the tub, and I will be gutted if I am allergic to it.
    Chris

SIR Searus Dysconyus - OG Member - Knights of the Maillard Table

I just received my latest order yesterday. In a moment of panic when we thought she was closing down, I ordered 2 x Bay Rum, 2 x Lemon Ice, and 2 x Lime Cilantro. I almost immediately regretted not ordering YOB and Dragon's Blood, but Sue's still in business, so maybe I'll order some more soon. I used the Bay Rum this morning and I loved it. I'm looking forward to the Lemon Ice, but I'm a little concerned that it won't have the same citrusy punch that the Lime Ice has (based on initial smell). I will let you know how it works out.

Images

Of course YMMV but So far Mama Bears soaps have out performed my D.R. Harris Arlington & Marlborough by a long shot.

I have Aromatic Pipe Tobacco (love the cherry tobacco scent), Christmas Forest (has a great outdoors pine scent) and a Sandalwood/Vanilla shave stick which I used last night and loved! it has smell very similar to Pinaud Clubman after shave which I also love.

I tend to have some trouble lathering soaps and I've tried quite a few different brands and Mama Bears is up there with the best! nice thick, slick lather and great scents. Will definitely be ordering more in the future along with some of her bath soaps and maybe one of those microwavable teddy bears she has for my lady friend
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." -Theodore Roosevelt - BOTOC -

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vocalistbob View Post
    I got frustrated trying to chase the samples around the bowl with my brush. My solution was to hold the sample in my hand while I applied the brush to it - worked great.
    Something I did when I order some samples from her was wrap a little bit of tin foil around one end to keep it from slipping out of my fingers then used it as a shave stick. Worked great! I was able to get at lease 3 shaves from each sample!
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." -Theodore Roosevelt - BOTOC -