What's new

EJ DE89 or Muhle R41?

I'm in the mood for a new razor. I currently use either a Merkur 34C and a 180L with a heavy Parker handle on it. I like both of them but I've seen a few posts that say the EJ or the Muhle are better.

If you've had either of these Merkurs and have the EJ or Muhle to compare it to, I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether it's worth it to pull the trigger on a new razor or not and I'd also like to see what guys who have both the EJ and the Muhle think about the two of them. Which one do you like better and why.

Thanks.

I had the R41 (2011 head), EJ89 (Barley) and 34C. I got rid of the R41. The R41 just didn't like my face, no matter what brand of blade I used in it. I found the EJ89 head to be nearly identical to the Merkur 34C head.

My advice is, get the R41 (2011 head). If you don't like it, you can sell it on the BST for close to what you paid for it. You can try it for a month and the worst case scenario is, it will have cost you maybe $10.

Stu

I had the Merkur 34HD, EJ89L and Muhle R41. Of the 3, I preferred the Merkur. The R41 was just too aggressive for me(and that's coming from someone now using straights!), the EJ is beautifully finished, yet the 34HD is just that little bit more aggressive. Of all three razors, I'd have the Merkur 34HD as my daily one any day.

I'm in the mood for a new razor. I currently use either a Merkur 34C and a 180L with a heavy Parker handle on it. I like both of them but I've seen a few posts that say the EJ or the Muhle are better.

If you've had either of these Merkurs and have the EJ or Muhle to compare it to, I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether it's worth it to pull the trigger on a new razor or not and I'd also like to see what guys who have both the EJ and the Muhle think about the two of them. Which one do you like better and why.

Thanks.

If you go with the Muhle, do some research on where to buy it. Prices range from $35 to $61. If you end up not liking it and then try to recoup most of your cost on BST it will be a challenge if you've paid $61. Seen that story too many times and it's not pretty.

+1 been there, done that...

I believe connaughtshaving.com has the best price on the R41 and theenglishshavingcompany.com has the best prices on EJs. If you decide you don't like your new razor, you could sell somewhere else and possibly recoup your shipping expenses.

If you go with the Muhle, do some research on where to buy it. Prices range from $35 to $61. If you end up not liking it and then try to recoup most of your cost on BST it will be a challenge if you've paid $61. Seen that story too many times and it's not pretty.

Get the R41. Chances are one of two things will happen...Either it'll work better for you or it won't. But if it doesn't, your technique will probably get better or enhance if it is good already. The R41 works great for me and now when I use my EJ it feels as safe as a cart LOL.

I used the Merkur 38C for a few years. Don't quote me, but I think it is a longer handle version of 34C. Anyway, I compared the 38C side by side with my Muhle R89, and there is no doubt that the R89 provides a very smooth ride. I can barely feel the blade. Substantially smoother than the 38C. The 38C can give you as close a shave as the R89, but you will clearly know the 38C is there.

The R41 2011 tests your technique but it is quite manageable if you don't apply too much pressure and make slow, short movements and use a little extra product. I tried it out of curiosity given what I have read on BB. Talk about knowing the blade is there; it is a sobering touch to the morning shave. But, the blade is supposed to be prominently exposed on your face, and with your first pass you can see why. For me, it is a personal challenge, and I believe my technique has improved.

If I really had to choose, I guess I'd go with the R89 (or the EJ version assuming it is identical). The R89 will allow for more relaxation and you will marvel at the result.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I debated for quite a while and ended up getting the EJ DE89 Barley. This is my first DE razor, but I can say that I am very happy with the choice. It is smooth, and feels great in my hand. I've used Feather, Derby and Astra brand blades so far. I like the Astras best. Good luck choosing.

Just pulled the trigger on the R41. I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.

Nice choice, I love mine and will never get rid of it. Although I don't use it exclusively, it gets about 65% of my shaves, and it's always my go to when I really need a super long lasting shave. I usually get quite a bit of stubble after 6-8 hours but the R41 stretches that to 10-12. She can be a harsh mistress but once you find the blade and angle that work for you...it's pure butter.

I have the 89L and the R41 (2011). Night and Day. Opposite ends of the spectrum. 89L extremely mild, R41 extremely aggressive. I've gotten to love the R41 after initially planning on selling it. You can certainly learn technique on it--it doesn't forgive anything--but it certainly gives you a smooth, close shave when you get used to it.

With the DE89 you will have a much great probability of loving a razor compared to the R-41. It is the risk reward factor. The low risk DE89 will provide moderate to high rewards (more of an average weight) where as the R-41 will have high risk with a possibility of high rewards (love) or abject disaster (abuse to sensitive skin types). The real issue is do you think your face will be able to handle the R-41 sucessfully. If a person has a skin type that enjoy using a Gillette Slim or Fatboy cranked to 9 and wish it could be cranked to 11, then the R-41 would probably be the dream razor. If a person gets razor burn with a Gillette Slim or Fatboy cranked to 4 or 5 then the DE89 is the choice. Your skin type is the greatest factor in razor and blade choice and that is something everyone is stuck with. Some have the gentle skin of a baby, and some have the tough skin of shoe leather, most are in between the two. It is the in between skin types that have to make the more calculative decisions. You can improve technique, you cannot change your skin type.

Good fortune in your choice.

Top Bottom