What's new

Fatip and Joris

I have a Fatip razor and love the shave. What can I expect if I buy a Joris razor? Opinions from owners of both, or other experts...

I have the Joris; I owned a Fa Tip Muhle for about a year, and had plenty of time to compare the two.

Short answer: the Joris is a touch more aggressive than the Muhle and just as smooth. Both razors are aggressive, but the Joris (esp the heavy handled models) were just a touch more so. I think the lighter handled Joris would probably shave identically to the R41--at least that is my guess. The heads appear identical, until viewed up close-when you notice that despite being less expensive, the fit on the Muhle is better. I have a review of the two coming where I will talk about it in more detail. For now, my opinion is: similar--but not same--heads.

If you like the Muhle I believe you will like the Joris just as much. I ultimately ended up selling my Muhle so I could fund the purchase of another Joris, if that makes sense.

Love my new palladium handle. Excellent grip, good balance, nice curves. Head casting and plating are excellent. Aggressive yet polite shaver

Not all FaTips are created equal; as I recall there are at least two different versions of both the top & bottom plates which theoretically offer up a number of different permutations (experts please correct me if I'm wrong about this). I received my FaTip in B&B group buy about a year or so ago. It sits unused as I found my Joris a much smoother shave. That said, when I'm going open comb, I usually reach for the Long-Comb New that I got from BRW (RIP). The first picture is the Joris head next to the New.

$Image.jpg$Image 8.jpg$Image 7.jpg$Image 6.jpg

I have the FaTip and Joris. The Fatip wasn't on my "A" list until I put a Weber handle on it. Voila! Made it much better. The Joris to me is smoother, better fit , finish and in the end gives me a longer lasting dfs than the Fatip. I use Crystals, Feathers, Polsilvers and Voskhod and the Joris likes them all.

imo the joris while i love mine is really a fatip with better plating and a better handle, not to much more. and know the plating is really only better on the topside of the head and base plate otherwise the underside is really pretty much the same as a fatip. the handle for me is where joris shines much more than the fatip unlike some i love the shape and especially the all metal joris handles. the horn is very nice as well but the wood ones were a bit to light imo. i would recc a heavier handle for the fatip first then if you like that and want to go for the joris. my fav handle with the fatip so far is the oss ikon. its a bit longer than the bulldog and for me almost perfect with it, i also have the bulldog handle and i prefer the oss on the fatip.

^ I let my OSS handle be on my iKon. Instead I filled my Fatip Chrome handle with lead and tungsten and now it's perfect :wink2:

Not all FaTips are created equal; as I recall there are at least two different versions of both the top & bottom plates which theoretically offer up a number of different permutations (experts please correct me if I'm wrong about this). I received my FaTip in B&B group buy about a year or so ago. It sits unused as I found my Joris a much smoother shave. That said, when I'm going open comb, I usually reach for the Long-Comb New that I got from BRW (RIP). The first picture is the Joris head next to the New.

View attachment 342002View attachment 342003View attachment 342004View attachment 342005

Where did you get that info from?

I have the FaTip and Joris. The Fatip wasn't on my "A" list until I put a Weber handle on it. Voila! Made it much better. The Joris to me is smoother, better fit , finish and in the end gives me a longer lasting dfs than the Fatip. I use Crystals, Feathers, Polsilvers and Voskhod and the Joris likes them all.

imo the joris while i love mine is really a fatip with better plating and a better handle, not to much more. and know the plating is really only better on the topside of the head and base plate otherwise the underside is really pretty much the same as a fatip. the handle for me is where joris shines much more than the fatip unlike some i love the shape and especially the all metal joris handles. the horn is very nice as well but the wood ones were a bit to light imo. i would recc a heavier handle for the fatip first then if you like that and want to go for the joris. my fav handle with the fatip so far is the oss ikon. its a bit longer than the bulldog and for me almost perfect with it, i also have the bulldog handle and i prefer the oss on the fatip.

^ I let my OSS handle be on my iKon. Instead I filled my Fatip Chrome handle with lead and tungsten and now it's perfect :wink2:
As I said before , the weight is the X factor...... it makes a lowly FaTip into a Highly Joris:wink2:

Love the Fatip chrome Grande, but the picollo was 'orible'. Always get sweet 'n' smooth shave from the Grande with an Astra SP. The pearl OC seems to be a very close copy but with better plating.

Top Bottom