What's new

Turned a crack into a stubby razor

Last weekend I picked up a Frederick Reynolds at a flea market for $15, the scales where shot but I loved the shape of the blade. I unpinned it yesterday and started polishing it. About half way through I noticed a some of the cotton sticking out of the blade, and there it was a nice little hairline crack about 1/2" away from the end of the blade. I was mad so I just put it aside and started working on some other blades. Today I decided that I had nothing to lose and just cut off the end to get rid of the crack.

I used my dremel too with a reinforced cutoff wheel on it. I had to go really slow using this because with the hollow ground blade it will over heat before you know it. After about 15 minutes of starting and stopping I got through it. Sanded it down to get rid of the cutting wheel marks, polished the hell out of it, and tada a bright and shiny 2" razor. No scales yet I have to order some 1/16" brass rod or some nuts and bolts from MF.

Here's a picture of it before with the crack marked in red marker
proxy.php

Here it is next to the same blade after the decapitation
proxy.php

Here's a picture of the end that I cut off
proxy.php

Lastly here's another of the razor by itself
proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Looks good! I set mine down on a cube of ice as I cut the end off. Worked pretty well and took only a few minutes. With that thick spine maybe make it into a pseudo kamisori?

I am going to make a set of miniature scales for it. I have yet to use a straight razor but what would the draw backs be of using a small razor. Surely you don't use the full length of the blade on a full size razor.

Legion

Staff member
I am going to make a set of miniature scales for it. I have yet to use a straight razor but what would the draw backs be of using a small razor. Surely you don't use the full length of the blade on a full size razor.

Nice work!

No, you don't need the whole length to shave. It might be easier when you are learning, though. Also, you will find it easier to learn on a long razor, and then go to a short one. If you do it the other way around I can see you cutting your ear, etc. because you are not used to that extra inch of blade.

*Applause*

it is looking very nice.
Enjoy the shaving with it. F. Reynolds straights are my favorites. Be caution with the shorter length

i like it.... you made lemonaid from a bit of a lemon....

make sure and show us the finished product after ya make some scales...

I thought about entering it in the contest when I get some scales on it, but I don't know that it qualifies. It was one that I was just going to wait till later or just not do at all. What do you guys think?

Legion

Staff member
I thought about entering it in the contest when I get some scales on it, but I don't know that it qualifies. It was one that I was just going to wait till later or just not do at all. What do you guys think?

Enter it! A cracked blade would definitely put it into the too hard basket for a lot of people! Good save.

Top Bottom