What's new

I have found a razor more aggressive then the R41

Shave with it in the morning and slice your cheese and cold cuts with it in the afternoon.

That is quite a razor!

Here's my razor loaded with a DE blade. You can see it's pretty much like yours but my experience is quite different. I see the blade bent enough to be protected or shielded by the guard. See if it gives you a better shave with a more forgiving blade.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The teeth of the blade guard are aggressive, but it's simply the design -- no contact with those teeth on the face.

proxy.php

Let me know if your experience improves. Of course, with all this publicity, there's bound to be a great resale value for the razor if you decide it's not for you. Or was it meant to be a PIF. Joyeux Noel!

Maybe the personna lab blade is stiffer then other blades and did not bend enough. I'll give some others a try. Tightening down the blade guard does bend the blade a large amount.
Aaron

Aaron,

Ever since you mentioned the Leresche 77 to me (when I bought your Barbasol), I have been looking for one. Well, I finally found one and have been shaving with it this week:

proxy.php

I have been using a Thai Gillette Super Thin. My findings are similar to Jake's. For me, this is a middle of the road razor when it comes to aggressiveness, nothing like the new Muhle R41. I find it shaves very smoothly and produces results much like my more aggressive razors - very efficient, with delayed onset of the five o'clock shadow. But I have no concern with it drawing blood during the shave. This is not a razor that requires my full attention or concentration. Bottom line: it looks much scarier than it shaves. And I love it. I have shaved with numerous current and vintage razors, and this stands out as one of my favorites. Easily.

With the size of the guard bars, I can see how just a minuscule bend in it could change the whole shave, to a much more aggressive razor.

Neat razor! It's not surprising that that razor is mild under actual use. The gap between the between the blade and safety bar alone isn't what makes a razor more aggressive. It's more about the protrusion of the blade past a line tangent to the cap and guard that makes you feel the blade more. Looking at the pictures, you can tell it doesn't stick out very far. I think the gap is often associated with more aggressiveness because it works that way in adjustable razors. By lowering the safety bar, the tangent line moves inward, exposing more blade and increasing the angle of the blade against the skin (assuming you shave with the cap and guard touching your skin). In fixed geometry razors though, the gap really isn't a very useful measure in isolation. The rest of the head geometry is much more important in determining how it shaves.

Another good example of this is the Merkur slant. It's got a huge "blade gap", but is quite mild in practice.

A larger gap will allow the skin to flex and "get under" the blade more than a narrow gap, but that is assuming that the blade exposure remains constant.
Adjustable razors indeed widen the gap, but the purpose is to increase the blade exposure.

But an extremely wide gap, combined with a geometry that puts the blade at a shallow angle to the skin that pushes behind the guard, and you can indeed have an extremely mellow shaver.

Gap, angle, and exposure all work together to determine the blade's aggressiveness.

Mine is truly very aggressive. I will try again with yet another blade and report back. Maybe mine has less blade bend and angle.
Aaron

Nope,
Tired the razor again with a usually very smooth Gillette Silver Blue. Still feel tons of blade and more aggressive than the R41. Mine might have less blade bend it is an aggressive one for sure. Maybe we should think of swapping razors?? I can't come to any other conclusion its not mild and smooth thats for sure.
Aaron

Top Bottom