What's new

Futur Equivalent Setting to EJ DE89

I may be jumping the gun here, but I expect to have a Futur in a few days :)001_smile). I've been using an EJ DE89 almost exclusively for over 6 months now. In time I'll experiment with the Futur, but to start with it makes sense to me to set it to an opening relatively like the razor I'm used to. Anyone out there have both and can tell me what setting on the Futur is about the same as the EJ DE 89?

Also, I know lots of people find that some blades were better in one type of razor than another. If any of you have both of these razors, do you find much difference in how blades perform in them? My favorites in my EJ are Iridiums, GBEs, Perma-Sharps, 7 O'Clock Yellows and Blues, and Meds. Do you find that you like any of these in your EJ DE89 but not in your Futur, and are there any that you didn't like in your EJ that you like a lot in your Futur?

EJ DE89 has a blade gap of 0.76 mm.
The Futur at its lowest setting (1) has a blade gap of 1.12 mm.

+1. I have the Muhle R89 and a Futur. I never would of even thought of trying to approximate the DE89 with a Futur. But I would say use the lowest setting.

Not to try to freak you out but be careful with your Futur. It is a little different from other DE razors. Here are a couple of tips that might keep you from slicing your hands.

Hint 1: When installing a blade put the cover on a towel on your counter. Put the blade in the cover, then take the handle and press it onto the cover until it snaps into place, keeping your hands well away from the head.

Hint 2: Don't change the blade exposure setting with a blade installed as you must grab the razor head with one hand and turn the handle with the other hand. Remember the head is where the blade is so if you grab it, you will not finish your shave that day. If you must change the blade exposure setting while shaving, put a towel on your counter, rest the head of the razor on the towel, and turn the handle. this will allow you to change the blade exposure setting without getting your hands near the blade.

Also take care when removing the blade cover as you must "pop it off" from each side so your thumb will be a fraction of an inch from the blade. Dry your hands and pay attention.

My first Futur came from someone who did not heed these "hints" (don't worry it was not anyone on B&B... At least I don't think they were on here)

You can see what happened to the Futur from this thread and get an idea what happened to them: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/260299-Why-TTO?p=3602289&highlight=#post3602289

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eeded-by-new-Futur-user?p=3614156#post3614156

I like my Futur (both of them) but I give it a lot of respect and pay attention any time it is in my hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDCHb9-uJ4

Check to make sure your Futur is assembled correctly. It doesn't matter which way the cap is oriented, but does matter which way you place the blade support platform (the part that has the "wires") back on. If you disassemble the Futur, upon re-assembly set the adjustment to its lowest (i.e. mildest) setting, and make sure you verify that the bottom of the blade support platform on both sides is flush against the head prior to replacing the cap. If it is not flush, disasssemble and turn the blade support platform 180 degrees, re-assemble, and check once again. I found out the hard way that the blade support platform must be replaced properly.

To Disassemble, open the razor to its widest gap and then remove the cap. Then put your index and middle finger below the head (with the handle between your two fingers) and push and hold down the top of the head with your thumb. While holding down (you will feel the tension of the spring while you are holding the head down), with your other hand, unscrew the handle.

I have and use both. There is no setting on the Futur that is even close to the DE89.
The DE89 would be a negative 2 on the Futur.

So you better start at 1.

The Futur is a completely different shaving experience. I don't use mine often anymore because it isn't as comfortable as the DE89. But it shaves closer. I get BBS with the Futur every time. With the DE89 I get DFS usually.
I choose comfort over BBS most of the time.

Not to try to freak you out but be careful with your Futur. It is a little different from other DE razors. Here are a couple of tips that might keep you from slicing your hands.

Hint 1: When installing a blade put the cover on a towel on your counter. Put the blade in the cover, then take the handle and press it onto the cover until it snaps into place, keeping your hands well away from the head.

Hint 2: Don't change the blade exposure setting with a blade installed as you must grab the razor head with one hand and turn the handle with the other hand. Remember the head is where the blade is so if you grab it, you will not finish your shave that day. If you must change the blade exposure setting while shaving, put a towel on your counter, rest the head of the razor on the towel, and turn the handle. this will allow you to change the blade exposure setting without getting your hands near the blade.

Also take care when removing the blade cover as you must "pop it off" from each side so your thumb will be a fraction of an inch from the blade. Dry your hands and pay attention.

My first Futur came from someone who did not heed these "hints" (don't worry it was not anyone on B&B... At least I don't think they were on here)

You can see what happened to the Futur from this thread and get an idea what happened to them: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/260299-Why-TTO?p=3602289&highlight=#post3602289

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eeded-by-new-Futur-user?p=3614156#post3614156

I like my Futur (both of them) but I give it a lot of respect and pay attention any time it is in my hands.

Thanks so much for these tips. I wasn't at all up on the issues with using this razor. I'll follow your tips, and I'll be very careful with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDCHb9-uJ4

Check to make sure your Futur is assembled correctly. It doesn't matter which way the cap is oriented, but does matter which way you place the blade support platform (the part that has the "wires") back on. If you disassemble the Futur, upon re-assembly set the adjustment to its lowest (i.e. mildest) setting, and make sure you verify that the bottom of the blade support platform on both sides is flush against the head prior to replacing the cap. If it is not flush, disasssemble and turn the blade support platform 180 degrees, re-assemble, and check once again. I found out the hard way that the blade support platform must be replaced properly.

To Disassemble, open the razor to its widest gap and then remove the cap. Then put your index and middle finger below the head (with the handle between your two fingers) and push and hold down the top of the head with your thumb. While holding down (you will feel the tension of the spring while you are holding the head down), with your other hand, unscrew the handle.

And thanks for this tip too ... although I'm unclear and when or why I would disassemble the razor. Can you explain why or when this is necessary?

And thanks for this tip too ... although I'm unclear and when or why I would disassemble the razor. Can you explain why or when this is necessary?

If you have uneven blade gap, then you will need to disassemble and re-assemble the razor as described above.

The Futur with uneven blade gap = Slant Razor from Hell.

Thanks so much for these tips. I wasn't at all up on the issues with using this razor. I'll follow your tips, and I'll be very careful with it.

The Futur is a rather heavy razor. Mine weighs in at 4.4 oz (125 grams). To get a good shave all you need to do is let the weight of the razor do all of the work.

Don't try to force more facial contact than what the razor does on its own by pressing down as you shave (i.e. let it glide over your skin and use only its own weight to do the work).

I also find that it is a little awkward to hold. I started out grabbing it like a club but now I can hold it between fingers and thumb but it still feels like it wants to get away. They are easily dropped. If it leaves your hand, don't grab for it (remember it is a razor and has 2 very sharp sides).

After saying all of this, it is still one of my top 2 favorite razors and what I would consider my "go to" razor. When I travel it is the one that goes with me every time.

Got a Futur about a month ago and to say I love it is an understatement.

In fact I sold all my razors except for one.

Just some words of advice if I may.

It is a heavy razor in a good way as you only need to apply little or no pressure while shaving. Let the razor and blade do the work. Start at a 1 setting and use it for awhile to work on your technique. From there work up your settings to the one you like best. Keep in mind the Futur is not the "bad boy" of razors but a versatile razor that can shave as easy as a Gillette Tech to an aggressive Slant. Just take your time shaving and learning how to use it.

Happily the B&B has many threads about the Futur you can look up for further information.

Have fun!

Last edited:

++1 with the wounds to prove you don't handle this razor after 2 gimlets. It's an easy razor to learn and love. As others said start at a low setting, develop your technique and let the razor do the work (no pressure!).

Under no circumstances should you try to adjust this razor mid-shave with lather lubricated hands!

Surprise, surprise. I did get a gold Futur for xmas. Used it once so far, with a Perma-Sharp blade. I set it at one and was very careful with it. Only did two full passes with kind half of a third pass (cheeks but skipped neck and chin). Got a very nice shave. Not the best ever, but very nice for a first shave with it set low and no full third pass or touch up of the tricky spots.

I've got a question for you guys that know this razor ... it was really "loud". "Noisy" as it slid over my face. It this a function of the way the head is built that makes it resonate a bit, or was I using it at the wrong angle. I had very little burn afterwards so I was thinking I had the angle right. But the sound was almost as if I was scraping off the whiskers instead of slicing them off. What can you other Futur users tell me about this?

I've got a question for you guys that know this razor ... it was really "loud". "Noisy" as it slid over my face. It this a function of the way the head is built that makes it resonate a bit, or was I using it at the wrong angle. I had very little burn afterwards so I was thinking I had the angle right. But the sound was almost as if I was scraping off the whiskers instead of slicing them off. What can you other Futur users tell me about this?

Both my Futur and Vision are very noisy. Just they way they are made I guess. You will get used to it.

I like the noise when I'm doing a headshave with the Futur.It let's me know if I have the angle right on the blind spots.As for blades I find the Red IP's work real well with the Futur.

Surprise, surprise. I did get a gold Futur for xmas. Used it once so far, with a Perma-Sharp blade. I set it at one and was very careful with it. Only did two full passes with kind half of a third pass (cheeks but skipped neck and chin). Got a very nice shave. Not the best ever, but very nice for a first shave with it set low and no full third pass or touch up of the tricky spots.

Both my Futur and Vision are very noisy. Just they way they are made I guess. You will get used to it.

The audible feedback from the Futur is one of its advantages. The tone and pitch of the sound help to tell me how much stubble I have left.

Top Bottom