What's new

Bread knife sharpening

Oh wow!

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. But...

I was going through old dusty bookmarks in my browser and found this.

The thing is, I'd found this over a year ago, for just sharpening breadknives. LONG before I discovered B&B for shaving.

Could have saved myself 6 months of bad shaves had I poked around a bit more.

Oh well... When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

Keep up the good work!

Ww

Does this really work that well? Is it really as good as a good stone?

IMHO these don't work on any kitchen knives, let alone serrated knives. Then again I am a professional chef and have a bias against most gadgets such as this. I prefer old school stones. Dave's tutorial above is news to me on a serrated blade, and it seems a little tedious but probably the most efficient(that has been posted). I have always done what another member above stated, of semi circles on a 1k. Many people value electronic knife sharpeners though. If you goto a site like amazon and read the reviews theres just about as many 1star reviews, as there are 5 stars, based on what mentality you have about knife sharpening and what you define as sharp and usable.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I haven't actually tried this but found it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUb4z7JC8M

It may work fine for a quick touch up and will improve an established edge but I don't think it would be a good as resetting each serration.
His paper test on the individual serration showed he needed to chop at the paper to get it to cut, so the edge was not there yet. Maybe his stropping does not get to the bottom of the valleys.
I consider a good paper test to be with little to no pressure.

He lost me with finger nail swipes, no respect for the edge IMO.
I watched another of his videos of him sharping a large steak knife, he done the same wild chipping at his nail and cut himself.

Top Bottom