What's new

Where can I find lanolin to test for allergic reactions?

Hello everyone,
I am really looking forward to trying out the Mitchell's Wool Fat that everyone is raving about. However, I have found that I am allergic to a lot of shaving soaps that I have. I currently have QED's Lavender and Rose Geranium and MMB's Ylang-Ylang that I have severe allegic reactions to, after 10 uses or so. To save from purchasing the wrong product for my skin, I am looking to test out my allergic reactions to lanolin before I put down the money for the MWF soap. How could I test to see if I am allergic to lanolin?. Thanks in advance for all your help. Andy

Rub a sheep...

If you can find it, I believe the red proraso tubes contain lanolin, as does Musgo Real. Both of those would be cheaper alternatives, before paying out for wool fat soap.

You could always go to a doctor and have an allergy patch, or ***** test, and ask for lanolin.

You could also try looking in mothercare style stores, as lanolin is often used by women during breast feeding.

You could also simply get a puck of MWF and, if it doesn't work for you, sell it on the forum. You could set up a deal beforehand. That way, you won't loose a lot of money (mostly just shipping costs). I'm sure there would be people taking it off your hands rather quickly. Best - MM

I was told by a doctor once to use it on my feet, and that it was easy to find in any grocery store. It can be found, just not necessarily where you would think. Check the baby section of your favorite store (I found it at Wal-Mart under the Lansinoh brand, I believe). It is marketed for women to soothe the irritation that comes from breastfeeding, but it is still lanolin. Might be a little expensive for just wanting to test for an allergic reaction, but probably not more so than purchasing a bunch of soaps and creams you can't use.

You could also simply get a puck of MWF and, if it doesn't work for you, sell it on the forum. You could set up a deal beforehand. That way, you won't loose a lot of money (mostly just shipping costs). I'm sure there would be people taking it off your hands rather quickly. Best - MM

I would say this is the way to go...after all, until you try the product you will never know for sure. Remember, there are other things in a product which might cause irritation for you.

Thanks for all your ideas guys. It looks like I have three choices. 1) Find a sheep and rub my face on it, 2) loitering in the pregnant women isle at my local wallymart, or 3) just get a MWF puck and try it out. I guess I'll be off to the local sheep farm :). Andy

You could just try picking up a puck of Van Der Hagen Deluxe Soap. That has lanolin in it and it costs under $3 at your local Wal-Green.

Ah-ha. I found a local shop that carries Kent soap. I believe it is the same as MWF. I am going to pick up a puck and give it a try. Thanks again. Andy

For free just go to any drug store and look in the hand cream isle there are lots of hand creams with lots of lanolin in them, and there are testers, so just try a little.

BTW... chasing sheeps around, in the dark, with the farmer armed with a 12 gauge looking for you, was not as fun as I thought. Yeah, I just want to let you guys know that :).

BTW... chasing sheeps around, in the dark, with the farmer armed with a 12 gauge looking for you, was not as fun as I thought. Yeah, I just want to let you guys know that :).

But compared to going to the grocery store, this option is a much better challenge! :lol:

Thanks for all your ideas guys. It looks like I have three choices. 1) Find a sheep and rub my face on it, 2) loitering in the pregnant women isle at my local wallymart, or 3) just get a MWF puck and try it out. I guess I'll be off to the local sheep farm :). Andy

#'s 1 and 2 would both be soft.

Maybe #3 too.

==Tom

Testing for allergies for lanolin with products that contain lanolin is not necessarily going to give you a reliable answer. Especially if you already are allergy prone. Most products contain slightly different ingredients and unless you are absolutely sure you are not allergic to any of the other ingredients, this type of testing will tell you absolutely nothing (kinda what boboakalfb already said).

I would suggest you do buy the product and test it yourself. IMO that is the only way to know for sure. And you might have to try it a couple of times as well, since sometimes allergies need a couple of times before they kick in (trust me I know).

And as far as I know the Kent soap is the same as MWF, so I guess that would probably be your best option. Good luck and let us know how you fare! I have been thinking about buying some MWF as well, but am hesitant because of possible allergies... Oh well you only live once :wink:.

You could always watch to see which women pick up the tubes of cream in your local supermarket and try chatting one up quickly followed by nuzzling her breats?
At least you'll avoid the buckshot this way unless her husband happens to have a shotgun and a slap to the face is much more tolerable than buckshot in the behind. :)

Rub a sheep...

If you can find it, I believe the red proraso tubes contain lanolin, as does Musgo Real. Both of those would be cheaper alternatives, before paying out for wool fat soap.

You could always go to a doctor and have an allergy patch, or ***** test, and ask for lanolin.

You could also try looking in mothercare style stores, as lanolin is often used by women during breast feeding.

+1 for the sheep rub. Just don't rub it the wrong way.

Just buy the product. It would be only one thing to buy. If you don't like it or have some reaction to it, you'll have no problem reselling it on this forum. There's so many guys here that like the stuff, I'm sure you wouln't lose much.

Enough said.

==Tom

Top Bottom