What's new

Conk 1001 / Omega 10066 - Compare and suggest brushes - advantages, etc.

Hey all. I've been shaving for a couple weeks now with the Col. Conk Progress 1001 Pure Badger brush I picked up without much research. I've been curious since about the differences between this and other brushes. I recently purchased a couple gift sets for others including a highly-recommended (for cheap) Omega 10066 Boar. I pulled one out of the packaging and rubbed it on my hand and face to see the difference, which was huge. My Conk badger is way softer than the Omega boar. That made me wonder about this whole brush business, especially about my specific brush.

I paid $23.50 for the Conk and I assumed I was ripped off since I the handle is pretty chintzy, no one here seems to mention it much, and I assumed it must be rather stiff since best isn't supposed to be very good. But, I've only lost about 5 hairs so far and it doesn't scratch, but still feels like it might be able to push a hair or two around on my face. It also lathers really well with my TOBS cream. The Omega was nearly scratchy, though it has a nicer handle. I know they take time to break in, but now I'm very curious to hear more about brushes given my specific experience (I've read up on brushes a fair amount).

So, here are my questions:
1) Is my Col. Conk Progress 1001 Pure Badger any good for $23.50?
2) If I paid for a silvertip, what would the real difference be? If just softer, is softer 'better' if you have thick, course whiskers?
3) If the Omegas were broken in, would they still be stiffer than my Conk?
4) Is there any 'good' reason to own more than one brush, or is just like another razor or cream - just to have some variety?
5) I'm trying to avoid RAD, but if I had to pick up one more brush, what would compliment my Conk 1001? I'd really have to be sold on some huge benefit to spend more than $25.

I know a lot of this is YMMV stuff, but not all of it is. Plus, this could be the chance to enable another member. Er, I mean...
Thanks all.

Last edited:
Boars do get softer as they break in. Boars also feel softer wet than dry - as opposed to badgers that sometimes feel softer dry than wet.

Top Bottom