Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a bone-headed idea! (Contest)

Images

Default What a bone-headed idea! (Contest)

What a boneheaded idea! I took a perfectly fine translucent green porcelain handle and filled it with a soft, synthetic knot from TGN. Who wants a floppy, artificial, nylon knot in a luxury pottery handle? Why go to the trouble of crafting a beautiful one-of-a-kind handle if you are going to fill it with a downscale artificial knot? It's like setting rhinestone in platinum. Or spam in fresh bakery bread. What was I thinking? The thing is meant for shaving, not for basting your Christmas turkey. It seems no one wants to touch this odious, pathetic excuse for a shaving brush with a 39 and a half foot pole. And who can blame them? Consequently I cannot seem to sell this eyesore (and please forgive me for posting the pic) for even $10 - less than the cost of its materials. Nor dare I save it for when my son comes of age lest I become a fool in his eyes when he finally learns what wet shaving is really about.

But B&B if nothing else is about being a man. And part of being a man means admitting your mistakes. So..... I'm going to try and give this brush away, heck, I may even bribe you to take it. So, what about you? What is the most bone-headed idea you've ever seen in the wet shaving world? The unfortunate winner will receive this woeful excuse for shaving pottery, this ersatz shaving tool, this faux grooming accessory. Once you try the brush you'll likely be driven to smash the handle in despair so I offer this consolation prize: a full puck of Benton Clay's delightful and universally acclaimed Vetiver Paradisi shaving soap. It's the least I can do for being such a bonehead.

So, to summarize:
    Post your boneheaded idea right here in this thread and if you are extremely unfortunate you'll win the pictured brush along with some soap. My apologies in advance to the "winner".

---Dave--- (on extended hiatus)
    http://bentonclay.com

Images

not sure if this qualifies, but i posted in another thread as well, as it's the funnies shaving/brush related tool i've ever seen.

i was watching Dragons Den one night and a guy was pitching the idea...they actually l like it on the show, and i can see parents all over the world buying it for their kids etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v67Le...ature=youtu.be

3. Default

One of the best and, apparently, most bone-headed ideas at the same time was the Personna 74 Titanium Tungsten razor blade. You would think making the sharpest, longest-lasting razor blade of all time would be a good idea but, apparently, they were so long-lasting that people didn't need to buy them so often and thus they weren't very profitable and were soon discontinued (to wind up 40 years later on eBay at $4 a blade).

Somewhat akin to "The Man in the White Suit", the classic British Ealing Studios comedy from 1951, where Alec Guinness invents the perfect fabric that never wears out and never needs to be cleaned, and the textile manufacturers rush to suppress his invention because they realize that demand for their products will plummet if his material reaches the market.

Still, you'd think that some company could at least make a living by reinventing the titanium razor blade and pricing it high enough to make a profit. With all the debate about which blades are the best, you'd certainly think they could sell a good number of them to today's wet-shaving enthusiasts.

Mirabel, Canada (in the beautiful Laurentides)

I think the worst thing I did was do two passes with a three week old mach 3 cart. I wanted a closer shave (didn't know about DEs yet).
    Can you say ouch? I was almost lobster faced for two days

Another recent thing comes to mind... I was doing my first honing of a straight. I seems to be getting nowhere with shaving arm/leg hair. I decided to pass my thumb on the edge, just to see if I actually had any kind of cutting edge. My thumb bled for half an hour.

Anyways, these are MY bonehead ideas. Not the industry's. :) I think the weirdest idea i've seen is the Hydrolast Shaving Cloth. Who would want to lather up with an ugly towel?
    Last edited by charles_r; 12-19-2011 at 09:34 AM.

The most bone-headed idea I've seen is The Art of Shaving's power brushes. Someone at P&G came to conclusion that since the Fusion Power handles were selling adding vibration to their brushes would help them sell more too. However, it's just a gimmick.

rockviper is online now I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiis big!
    Images

The most bone-headed idea in the wet shaving world?
    Wet shaving will save us money!!

(PS. Great contest Dave, but don't count me in. You did such a GREAT write-up that even a freebie soap from you makes me run away from this brush )
    Me likey soaps ~Sam ..... 3017ing Klar Kabinett ... Using a 5-bladed ladies Schick in Sept

paco664 is offline I shave my underarms: no BO but now my pits smell like Tabac ... um ... call it a draw?
    Images

This "straight razor sharpening device" is pretty much the silliest thing i have ever seen....

Probably when I first started wet shaving, I ordered quite a bit of stuff from The Art of Shaving, I had no idea how over priced they were until after I hit Place Order! This was before I found B&B and all the great vendors out there.

The Collins safety razor, particularly the oscillating model ~ looks like (and probably acts like) a meat slicer. Just Google Collins safety razor and look at the images!
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately - Benjamin Franklin

Bone-headed? That would be The Shaving Helmet, before they tweaked the settings!
    Ray.

Images

the most boneheaded thing for me was thinking that i would have been able to find one brush that would suffice.. i was only fooling myself.. everyone else knew better.
    --Jon. "Love me some 14s"

The most boneheaded idea I've had related to shaving was when I bought a nice Gillette Blue tip and decided to soak it in CLR. The handle is aluminum and this cleaner is pretty much some acids intended to dissolve lime scale.

Well I fell asleep and forgot the razor soaking in a coffee mug full of the CLR cleaner. The next day that nice Blue tip was ruined. It had literally started to disintegrate. the handle had wormhole looking pits in it, had turned a dark gray black color and when I turned the knob the doors stayed shut and the compression fitting at the top of handle snapped.

I actually rinsed it off and kept it in a drawer for a few weeks thinking I might be able to fix it someday. Eventually I saw it one day and realized how utterly hopeless it actually was and binned it.

LOl - Soaking a vintage razor overnight in chemicals is boneheaded.
    Shave yourself.

Well, I am too cheap to buy another razor so I built a wedge for the one I had - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p/265768-Wedge

I'll let you know tomorrow how bone-headed it turned out to be!
    - David

Images

That's kind of cool maxman!
    - David

Images

Mine would be trying to force a patina on a new Mora knife with a potato....it slid right through the potato and into, a good half inch into, my palm....yeah, that was brilliant ...
    Jim- I fly the Blue Bird

Images

Thanks for the enjoyable read!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott0079 View Post
    The Collins safety razor, particularly the oscillating model ~ looks like (and probably acts like) a meat slicer. Just Google Collins safety razor and look at the images!
    Wow. I'd never seen this before now. It looks like a candlestick with a blade in it!
    Leigh ~ straights, single edges, double edges, boars, badgers, pipes ~ BOTOC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxman View Post
    Some say it's genius. I say it's boneheaded.
    I submit the DIY safety razor found here:

http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/tag/diy-safety-razor/
    Prison spec!
    Leigh ~ straights, single edges, double edges, boars, badgers, pipes ~ BOTOC

I find that the most bone-headed idea is that you`re giving this brush away, because I for one wouldn`t mind buying it for 10 USD.
    I try to set myself second.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasDK View Post
    I find that the most bone-headed idea is that you`re giving this brush away, because I for one wouldn`t mind buying it for 10 USD.

....i'm with Andreas...... i'd buy it for $10........
    Spartans! The orders of the day....... From this wall, we do not retreat........!