What's new

Smoke This! - Our Cigar Tip of the Week

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php

Smoke This!

How to get your cigar off to a better-starting burn!!

As part of the toasting routine you're not supposed to let the flame touch the tobacco at the foot. Instead, it should be held close enough to get the foot glowing, without it catching fire, then blowing on it. Many times, it may appear that the entire foot is lit, but that's not always the case. Then you have to take the cigar out of your mouth and hit the foot in the spots where the leaf is still black. However, the more you heat the foot, the more likely bitter tars can form. So, here's a little something extra you can do to help it burn more evenly.

Get a good toasting going, then blow on the foot of the cigar until it's all red. If you did a good job in this respect, keep blowing gently on the foot until you have about just under an eighth of an inch of ash - then take that first puff. It's important to blow gently because, like reapplying the flame, you don't want it to get too hot. If you can get the ash going well at the start of your smoke, it has a better chance of burning evenly all the way through. Note that this takes extra time and patience, but it's worth it. - G.K.

cigaradvisor.com/newsletter

proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

I've heard a similar tip from a gentleman who runs a cigar shop in the UK. He recommends that you gently toast the foot until red and even and then before taking the first puff, to exhale gently into the cigar to purge any off flavors from the initial toasting. This way you don't contaminate the rest of the smoke with any off flavors from the intense heat generated while lighting the cigar.

It should probably go without saying to use a butane lighter or wooden matches (after the sulfur burns off) to light your cigar as they do not give off any odors while burning (unlike a normal lighter or zippo).

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A good lighting is key, and a large part of the mechanics that goes into a great smoke. Great post.
Earcutter:
Thanx for the 'shout-out', support and for sharing...I'll 'keep em coming'!!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma." Anonymous

Does this mean I should not be puffing when lighting the cigar? I should hold a match up near it to "toast" and then blow before I even put the cigar to my lips? If so, I've been doing it all wrong for the past 5 years!

Top Bottom