What's new

Port glasses?

First post in the 'Speakeasy', i asked one of my daughters to pick me up some port glasses today whilst she was in town....this is what she brought home. I have no idea what these glasses are for, she assures me port...

Attachments

• $port glass.jpg
    $port glass.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 108
Yeah they look a bit lame or perhaps 70s, or both. The idea is, IIRC, that the top layer of the port oxidises almost immediately and you want to be drinking the port from underneath. NFI if there's any merit in that.

Google "port glasses" or "port sippers" or "port pipes" and you will likely find any one of a number of willing vendors happy to cater to your port consumption requirements.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The first thing that leaped to mind was a childs sippy cup. Seriously.

Well, with two of them there ... I thought of a "beer can hat" but designed for two port bottles ... for attending highbrow tractor pulls and bowl games.

proxy.php

First post in the 'Speakeasy', i asked one of my daughters to pick me up some port glasses today whilst she was in town....this is what she brought home. I have no idea what these glasses are for, she assures me port...

They look like fine port glasses to me. Mine have a less pronounced bowl with a smoother transition to the neck but the principle is the same.

That looks more like a liqueur glass. I've always wanted to try one of these for port:
proxy.php

An ex gave me a pair of those 20 odd years ago. She called them "port pipes". I've never been game to use them for fear of breaking a stem. They used to sit on a shelf above the "liquor cabinet" at my old place, but The GF pronounced them far too ugly for public display in the new.

A traditional "port glass" looks like a mini-wine glass. It is smaller to keep anyone from drinking all of your precious port! A "port pipe" looks like this and is meant to allow your hand to gently warm the port while sipping:

View attachment 265599

Yours looks like a mini-wine glass designed to gather the aroma for sniffing in between sips. The bowl may also be designed for gentle hand warming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom