What's new

Feather Popular vs. Feather AS-D1 (All Stainless)

Has anyone used both the Feather Popular (plastic TTO) and the Feather AS (All Stainless 3 Piece) razors? If so, how do they compare? A friend just visited from Japan and since I was offered a choice of "omiyage" I asked for anything wet shaving related. I was given the Feather Popular and although I only used it once on some 1/2 day old stubble, I am in LOVE:001_tt1:.

If the AS is similar in blade exposure, blade angle as the Popular I am definitely selling off most of my hoarded Slims to pick up the AS. The blade angle on the Popular is PERFECT for my skin/hair!! The angle is strangely "flat" and there is definitely more blade exposure than the Slim (looking from the top). The top cap appears more angled, closer to the FB than the slim. I am more of a "Slim on 5-4-3" user, but the gap between the head of the popular and the guard bar is about the same as a slim on 7-8. Its so much lighter than the slim but it feels so darn efficient! Its not aggressive - my "twice shaved in one day" face felt almost no burn from my aftershave! A one-pass X-grain just cleaned my entire face! :w00t::w00t::w00t:.

I am really looking forward to using this razor again tomorrow, I hope its not a "favorite because its the newest" disease.

If anyone can give me any pictures of the AS/Popular side by side with blades included I will be forever thankful!

I have them both and you can tell they're from the same "family". If you like the Popular you will love the AS. The popular is an underrated razor because people believe it's cheap. But a lot of thought went into the design and engineering, especially I believe making it an ideal match with their own Feather blade. It may have some plastic in it but it's a good razor, especially if you don't require an aggressive razor for daily use.

I have both, and they both are good shavers. But I should tell you they are the only two double edge razors I own currently. The popular is a great budget choice for someone with limited funds or not sure that they want to jump in full bore to wet shaving. I personally love the AS-D1 for every-day shaving. I can't imagine being disappointed with the feather stainless after using it for a month. Currently I only use the feather popular for air-travel shaving, because I'd hate to loose my AS-D1 to a baggage thief or a mistake. If you are confident that you will be wet shaving for the next decade or more and have the funds available, I think you'll love the AS-D1, I know I do. I don't have pics available, but the three biggest differences between the two razors are as follows.
1. Popular is butterfly, AS-D1 is three piece
2. Popular has a slightly longer handle
3. AS-D1 covers the whole blade, Popular leaves the tabs sticking out on the sides.

Hope this helps.

The Popular is a little light, but it's well made and it can give an excellent shave. The expensive one I haven't tried because it's waaaaaaay out of my price range, but it's a beautiful looking razor, and I'm sure it's fantastically made like all Feathers I've seen and read about.

I own Popular and not the stainless one. I am afraid I cannot concur with the previous members who praised Feather Popular. It's not bad, but you could do much better IMHO.

mission of burma shave: Thanks for the info! That really makes me quite happy. I know not everyone loves the AS-D1, especially for the price but the popular agrees with my face and if the AS is close, I may have found my "holy grail" - "save up for it" razor!

Riotgrip: awesome, I do prefer a TTO (which is why I use a slim and not a tech) but I think I can make an exception if the AS shaves similar to the popular

Copierguy: That's also very possible, but since I do use slight pressure with the popular, if the exposure and angle of the blade are similar it may be nearly identical

alex2362: If I pick up a AS, I'll make sure to PIF the popular to you :p.

Bluebriz: I totally agree.. The $200 is a bit steep but if it shaves well and lasts forever, I may pick one up as a gift to myself.. Whats interesting is that the Popular costs roughly $10 from Japan at the current exchange rate (Y 660) while vendors normally charge closer to $20. I wonder if the AS is similarly marked up...

Lambroot: What razors do you prefer instead? I feel like razors are such a YMMV item so its pretty hard to determine "value". I do really like the mechanics of the razor. Compared with my Slim, the longer handle, more exposed blade just seems to work well for me. I can't really explain why I like it - -I am hoping its not a case of the "brand new to me so its the best"... I'm going to use this for a week, then switch back to my Slim for a week and then make my decision. At least I know now that if i do find out I prefer the Feather Popular, I can buy the all metal version! I'm going to have to sell off a few of my slims to fund it..

I've never seen the AS on general sale in Japan so couldn't tell you. Cheapest i've seen the Popular for is a little over 600 yen though. In fact it's the only DE i've seen on sale in stores here in almost 5 years.

I started with the Feather Popular, just because I wasnt sure about wet shaving and it was less than $20 shipped. It is a great razor all around, but esp so for a noob like myself. The TTO is easy to use, the long handle lets you learn where is the best fulcrum point for you and the metal head / lightweight handle makes it very easy to let the weight of the shave head do the work.

I own the Feather A/S as well (for what was considered a bargain basement price off B/S/T). It shave slightly different due to the weight and handle length, but it is my Number One razor (along w/EJ D89 Barley Chrome, Popular, I2 Slim and Progress Xl - in that order).

I have lent the Popular to two different people, both of whom took up wet shaving as a result of using it. It is a great entry level razor that could be your everyday razor for a long time - although eventually acquisition disorder will get you...

As always: The opinions expressed are exclusively those of this poster, a relatively new wet shave enthusiast, YMMV

Lambroot: What razors do you prefer instead? I feel like razors are such a YMMV item so its pretty hard to determine "value". I do really like the mechanics of the razor. Compared with my Slim, the longer handle, more exposed blade just seems to work well for me. I can't really explain why I like it - -I am hoping its not a case of the "brand new to me so its the best"... I'm going to use this for a week, then switch back to my Slim for a week and then make my decision. At least I know now that if i do find out I prefer the Feather Popular, I can buy the all metal version! I'm going to have to sell off a few of my slims to fund it..

I agree with you on the first one, and personally don't believe in value. If it's good or 'great' AND you have the money in that moment, than the product is not too expensive no matter how much it costs. I was seduced by the TTO and the long handle. Weight on the other hand was a little disappointment at first, but nothing to take as a minus performance-wise. The feeling of hollowness or rather incompleteness of the razor every time I lean it on my face, is why I've decided to put the razor in my wash bag. Popular has been my faithful travel companion for more than four years and it never failed. What brings joy to my everyday shaves are Pils and Merkur 34C HD. It seems that I need them to be heavy as much as mild. I would love to see one new heavy weight TTO on the market.

Top Bottom