What's new

Hand Washing

Just yesterday I noticed the janitor, wearing the gloves he uses when cleaning, urinate, turn around and walk over to the counter to clean. Nice.

The whole bathroom issue is riddled with conundrums, isn't it? For one, what happens after defecation? People are concerned with needing to wash their hands, but they have no problems with pulling up their underpants and pants, stuffing undershirt and shirt into the pants, and finally closing the pants and the belt. By that time, the hands have been wiped thoroughly. At least no one else is being contaminated by that, unless we let someone else handle our clothes. :eek: :eek:

Then, one contaminates the hands again by opening the stall. Good that one can wash them now, but not after first contaminating them some more by touching the faucet knobs. Soap is applied, hands are squeaky clean, but somehow, one has to turn off the water, so one has to touch the knobs again; very few can be operated with elbows.

Luckily, the bathroom door can be opened using a paper towel...

At that point, however, I bet, most germs are happily in and on our pants.

Best - MM

I realize that "germ free" is just wishful thinking, but for the love, wash your hands, people!

The notion of washing your hands before taking care of business is a practice that I think I'll start using. I'm not worried about my germs...it's everyone else's. *Note that I will still wash my hands after as well because a) I'm also a bit OCD about this stuff and b) limiting the spread of your germs is the courteous thing to do for those who you come into direct and indirect contact with.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One problem in this is the air-blower-hand-drier machines (as opposed to the paper towel dispensers.) Those things contribute to non-washing, since doubtless lots of guys don't want to stand around for several minutes with dripping wet hands waiting for their turn at the blower, so they just skip the wash altogether.

Hmm, maybe we should call this the hand-wringing thread? :rolleyes:

Why not just carry gloves with you, that way you never have touch anything with your hands, while we're at it some of those germs and bacteria are airborne in there maybe we should don a N95 respirator prior to entering. I think they should change the building code and require decom. showers both prior to entering and exiting restrooms.

I'm all for personal hygiene but in the west we have taken this whole germ- phobia to the extreme, and in reality have made it worst by creating resistant form of germs and bacteria. People are also getting sicker because they exist in these antisceptic enviroments and the minute they get exposed to anything they get sick. There were recent studies that shoudl the children that lived in "dirty" enviroments had less eppisodes of common sickness (ie colds, flu, gastro) and I also believe if I remember correctly less asthma than children that came from clean enviroments.

So personally I'll wash my hands after going to the bathroom but I'm not going to worry about it.

V

VR6ofpain

The whole bathroom issue is riddled with conundrums, isn't it? For one, what happens after defecation? People are concerned with needing to wash their hands, but they have no problems with pulling up their underpants and pants, stuffing undershirt and shirt into the pants, and finally closing the pants and the belt. By that time, the hands have been wiped thoroughly. At least no one else is being contaminated by that, unless we let someone else handle our clothes. :eek: :eek:

Then, one contaminates the hands again by opening the stall. Good that one can wash them now, but not after first contaminating them some more by touching the faucet knobs. Soap is applied, hands are squeaky clean, but somehow, one has to turn off the water, so one has to touch the knobs again; very few can be operated with elbows.

Luckily, the bathroom door can be opened using a paper towel...

At that point, however, I bet, most germs are happily in and on our pants.

Best - MM
That is why you grab paper towel (dispense before washing hands if necessary) to turn off the faucet after washing, then use the same paper towel to dispense more paper towel, which you can then dry your hands with and open the door to exit. No contamination after hand washing...well until you touch your clothes again!:001_rolle

By the way, the study says that 33% of men do NOT wash their hands, i.e., 77% do wash their hands. Not the other way around. So, it's actually not that bad. Cheers - MM

am i the only to notice that the figure is actually 23% and not 33%? :biggrin:

I subscribe to George Carlins theory on germs:

[YOUTUBE]g_dpQfHmAWU[/YOUTUBE]

I think it goes without saying that this is definitely not safe for work or those offended by strong language.

Why not just carry gloves with you, that way you never have touch anything with your hands, while we're at it some of those germs and bacteria are airborne in there maybe we should don a N95 respirator prior to entering. I think they should change the building code and require decom. showers both prior to entering and exiting restrooms.

I'm all for personal hygiene but in the west we have taken this whole germ- phobia to the extreme, and in reality have made it worst by creating resistant form of germs and bacteria. People are also getting sicker because they exist in these antisceptic enviroments and the minute they get exposed to anything they get sick. There were recent studies that shoudl the children that lived in "dirty" enviroments had less eppisodes of common sickness (ie colds, flu, gastro) and I also believe if I remember correctly less asthma than children that came from clean enviroments.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Though thinking on aerosol dispersion, years ago I began to make sure the lavatory lid was always down before flushing (at home, or away); after I read experiments on open bowl flush faecal matter dispersion. Made short, the range is amazing.

If a person is serving food... or taking care of children and they don't wash their hands, they have a problem with me.. meanwhile, I am still laughing my tail off over the not being read miranda rights in the George Carlin video...

I have mixed emotions about this... I truly do. Other than the above 2 situations, I think that you can be moving towards OCD... on the other hand... (this would be the left one I think this time.. also clean) I am a soap maker. I wash my hands probably 20 times each hour that I am working. Mainly to get residuals off my hands, but it is still all soap, I spend half my days washing soap off my hands....

And seeing as I have been suffering from pnuemonia and bronchitis for the past 2 weeks... I don't think the hand washing has made any difference.. (or the foot washing)

On the other hand... (would this be the right one this time?? yep, it's clean..! ) I am always clean. If I was any cleaner I would be concerned about myself... but I enjoy being clean and I enjoy smelling good.. but there is a point where being sterile is probably not very good for your health either.

And now for the final bit.... ymmv... :biggrin:

Mamma Bear doesn't have to wash..........she's around that soap so much.

==Tom
Tom, that's not really true. In addition to all the handwashing I bath at least once a day. Do I need it.. well, yeah to me I do.. but some might argue that fact. I enjoy my daily baths as much for the relaxation as I do the cleanliness... take my baths away from me and I would not be as happy of a person. But I bath with soaps as well as with vegetable oils, vitamins/minerals and salts.. along with essential oils. Is this just for peace of mind.. or is it really healthful, I don't know. I honestly don't know. There seems to be a huge benefit to doing this in my life in my skin, the way I smell, the way I feel and my sense of wellbeing. Sometimes I believe it is more important that you are doing something that you think makes you better as much as really making you better..

But again, excessive handwashing, unless necessary, scares me... :biggrin:

I keep thinking of that show Monk... lol

Top Bottom