Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Hand Washing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,185

    Default Hand Washing

    We're probably the 33% of men who wash their hands after using the restroom. Anyway, I hope you're washin'.

    New Study

    ==Tom

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySmooth View Post
    We're probably the 33% of men who wash their hands after using the restroom. Anyway, I hope you're washin'.

    New Study

    ==Tom
    That's gross, but I'm not surprised. I, for one, wash my hands every time.
    Tim

    HELP SUPPORT B&B

    And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God's ways to man.
    -A.E. Housman


    Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Flanders, Belgium, Western Europe
    Posts
    3,431
    Images
    13

    Default

    I suspect it's even worse here in Europe. Highly uncivilised IMO. Luckily I am the hygienic type.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    A Cloggie in Sweden
    Posts
    929
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySmooth View Post
    We're probably the 33% of men who wash their hands after using the restroom. Anyway, I hope you're washin'.

    New Study

    ==Tom
    Wow that is horrifyingly low... And yes I do... always! Or if it isn't possible to wash I have either wipes with me or some sort of alcohol based hand sanitizer that evaporates. Though I am not OCD about it (yet )...
    [B][URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?s=2fae56fbd62148afd9d1b3bfe67e08e6&t=22723"]Robert[/URL] and his [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Flaxorca"]Shaving Gear[/URL][/B]

    [I][COLOR="Red"]Be sure to visit the worlds fastest growing encyclopdia on wetshaving:[/COLOR] [/I][B][URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Main_Page"]The B&B ShaveWiki[/URL][/B]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Locked behind the Cheddar Curtain
    Posts
    7,481

    Default

    Interesting little fact is that the doorknob/handle going into a public restroom has fewer germs on it than the doorknob/handle going out of a public restroom. The reason? Most people don't wash their hands. What scares me most, is that half of the time, the guy next to me doesn't even try to humor me with at least running his hands under some water. He just zips up, or even worse, exits the stall and then walks out.
    Cory

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    21

    Default

    Since this seems to be a place for the free and frank exchange of manly ideas, I will have no inhibitions... So, I'd like to remark that I think it is as, or even more, important to wash hands BEFORE touching sensitive areas, specifically when it comes to urinating. If everything is clean and no spillage/splattering occurred, no washing should be necessary afterwards. Civilized men should be able to urinate without spraying the entire surroundings. However, fact is that most urinals are entirely unsuited for the task at hand. So, my vote goes to washing before and afterwards. Also, where I work, we have a dedicated trash can right next to the door, so that people can open the door using a paper towel and dispose of it properly without having to toss it on the ground.

    Gotta run...

    Best - MM

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySmooth View Post
    We're probably the 33% of men who wash their hands after using the restroom. Anyway, I hope you're washin'.

    New Study

    ==Tom
    By the way, the study says that 33% of men do NOT wash their hands, i.e., 77% do wash their hands. Not the other way around. So, it's actually not that bad. Cheers - MM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    By the way, the study says that 33% of men do NOT wash their hands, i.e., 77% do wash their hands. Not the other way around. So, it's actually not that bad. Cheers - MM
    That's reassuring, at least.

    I used to work with a guy who'd set his coffee mug on the urinal. I'd be in there, minding my own business, eyes straight ahead, I'd hear someone walk in, "klink," as he set his mug down . . .

    . . . shudder . . .

    Mike

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Can someone please post a link to the study?

    Anyway, I do regularly wash my hands but not because I care about cleanliness. I just like the feel of clean hands. Living in a large city makes washing hands seem pointless. I daily touch subway doors, subway handles, hand rails, bus seats, classroom seats, and the bathroom doors of some of the worst toilets seen in the city. These bathroom often don't have toilet paper, towels, soaps, or even a sink. Or, sometimes they have a cloth towel that looks like it served Noah on the ark. In cases like this I skip the hand wash and am willing to take my chances.

    Reading this thread I can't help but be reminded of George Carlin's bit on cleanliness. Can anyone remember what album this was on?
    Last edited by krawlx; 09-18-2007 at 08:03 AM.
    -Karl

    My only regret is that I have but one face to shave.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,619
    Images
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    So, my vote goes to washing before and afterwards.
    +1...I find myself washing before and after especially in public restrooms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I used to work with a guy who'd set his coffee mug on the urinal. I'd be in there, minding my own business, eyes straight ahead, I'd hear someone walk in, "klink," as he set his mug down . . .

    . . . shudder . . .
    - Rob
    LIMEY

    Limey: My Gear

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,619
    Images
    14

    Default

    Why are so many restroom door 'push' to get in and 'pull' to get out. I'd much prefer them the other way around. That way you wouldn't have to touch a knob or handle to get out.
    - Rob
    LIMEY

    Limey: My Gear

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Why are so many restroom door 'push' to get in and 'pull' to get out. I'd much prefer them the other way around. That way you wouldn't have to touch a knob or handle to get out.
    Sure, but the innocent bystander getting face smashed by a bathroom door probably doesn't feel that way.
    -Karl

    My only regret is that I have but one face to shave.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krawlx View Post
    Can someone please post a link to the study? Cheers.
    http://www.cleaning101.com/newsroom/09-17-07.cfm

    Of course, the study was conducted by The Soap and Detergent Association... in conjunction with the American Society for Microbiology.

    Conspiracy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    http://www.cleaning101.com/newsroom/09-17-07.cfm

    Of course, the study was conducted by The Soap and Detergent Association... in conjunction with the American Society for Microbiology.

    Conspiracy
    Thanks for the link.
    -Karl

    My only regret is that I have but one face to shave.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    231
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmeister View Post
    Interesting little fact is that the doorknob/handle going into a public restroom has fewer germs on it than the doorknob/handle going out of a public restroom. The reason? Most people don't wash their hands. What scares me most, is that half of the time, the guy next to me doesn't even try to humor me with at least running his hands under some water. He just zips up, or even worse, exits the stall and then walks out.
    I was under the impression that it was down to poorly dried hands.

    One thing to keep in mind is that so long as someone is healthy urine is sterile, sure it may unpleasant; just not germ breeding craziness.

    I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't wash their hands after defecating, or at least I hope I've not met such people, as that's where the health implications can crop up.

    Gross as this may be, I had a microbiology lecturer who advised using urine to wash your hands after defecating, if nothing else was available. Academics can be odd.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,619
    Images
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krawlx View Post
    Sure, but the innocent bystander getting face smashed by a bathroom door probably doesn't feel that way.
    Yes but I'll have clean hands and will gladly hold the door for them to enter the bathroom and wash the blood off of their face.
    - Rob
    LIMEY

    Limey: My Gear

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ & The Fortress of Solitude
    Posts
    44,173
    Images
    78

    Default

    I don't know about you guys, but I like to wash my hands beforehand.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

    Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Yes but I'll have clean hands and will gladly hold the door for them to enter the bathroom and wash the blood off of their face.
    A true gentleman!
    -Karl

    My only regret is that I have but one face to shave.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London, England, UK
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    Also, where I work, we have a dedicated trash can right next to the door, so that people can open the door using a paper towel and dispose of it properly without having to toss it on the ground.
    I thought it was just me who threw the towel onto the floor on my way out. The other option is only to use toilets where the doors open out so you can open the door with your foot on the way out. Or just wait for someone else to open the door for you!
    Not only Leo's dad but Sophia and Max's too!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    254

    Default

    There's a guy I work with, who's a germaphobe, who uses his tie to open the doors.
    [FONT="Tahoma"]Richard[/FONT]

Similar Threads

  1. Car washing by hand - streak free windows?
    By duotone in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 01:56 AM
  2. Pens and Razors - they go hand-in-hand
    By onotoman in forum The Nib
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM
  3. Left hand / non dominate hand
    By David T. in forum General Straight Razor Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 08:17 AM
  5. Washing da Brush
    By Kyle in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.