What's new

Is Santa bringing you a brush?

Mine is waiting in my drawer. A two band Thater SRP LE. Can't wait to get it wet, it has been there for a couple of weeks.

I asked Santa for a large Silver Tip and he said he would give me his since he doesn't shave anymore.
I believe he said it was a Shavemac 1537 :ohmy:

No brush for me. Mrs. Santa saw the list and said something about.......lilac vegetal, Dorko DE blades, modern Williams soap and a can of edge gel. I guess I've been........ahhhh, bad?

I killed Santa on accident in the pit of a Slayer show...so I had to get my own this year and SWMBO is a bit pissed:

EJ DE89lbl, Merkur 41c, Vulfix 1000a, Parker XL, Lilac Vegatal, 100 Derbys, 100 Dorco ST-300 and 100 Dorco ST-301....so screw Santa, I've gotta J O B!!!!:001_tt2: ... lol

Merry Christmas all!!!!

A Penchetta Gem Stone, green malachite. Beautiful, and worked up a nice lather with my Manantiales first time out of the blocks.

Got me my Semogue 2011 LE Bristle Size 1 this morning. Test lathered it up (figured I should start the break-in ASAP) and it is a great little brush. The handle is super sweet in person (looks solid black online but definitely some texture in person).

Santa also gave me some extra time to make sure some restores were set up before I send them out as well as for myself heh.

Got my 2011 Semogue LE also but in Finest 1. Oh so nice.

proxy.php

I had a Wee Scot under the tree...which I asked for of course, wanting a travel brush. :wink2:
Got some great creams and a beautiful EJ DE as well. :w00t:

proxy.php

Okay, just used this shave brush and shaved with the Wade and Butcher straight razor, which only seemed fitting (English shave brush, English straight razor=:) First impression, what a water hog! I let it soak for a few minutes in the same mug I normally soak my boar brush in and immediately I saw that the water level was down 3/4" from when I first put the brush in. This mug I use is shaving specific and doesn't hold much water...not sure if I have a photo of it but,

I next went to shake water out of the brush before loading it with soap and when I shook it, all of the hairs went in the direction of the shake, and stayed there...they didn't budge. That told me it holds mucho water. I went to shake the brush in the opposite direction and the same thing happened, so I went on to swirl the brush in my Tabac jar (leaving all of the water in the brush) which has very little soap left in it. It sopped up the soap and held it in the brush, then I did a barber towel prep (AKA Kyle's prep) and I think I could have loaded more soap in the brush as what went on my face before the towel was adaquate, but I'm used to loading my Omega boar brush rather heavily

Anyways, after the towel I re-lathered my face with the soap in the brush (plenty there) and did my first pass. Before the 2nd pass I took the brush and swirled it in the Tabac jar. First thing I noticed was how this brush seemed to emulsify the soap and turned it into a cream. I'm not kidding when I say this but the soap in the jar (on top) looked like shave cream from a tube and this same cream was on my new shave brush. I'm talking thick gooey cream. Amazing! The only thing I can figure what's happening is the densely packed hairs are acting like a bazillion fingers scratching the surface of the soap. Whatever is happening, it's a treat

I went on to do several more passes, and paused to re-load the brush one more time, not that it needed it but I loved how the badger hair tips interact with the Tabac soap, transforming it into a cream. I could get used to this. I love my Omega 48 Pro but after using this Simpsons Chubby 3 Best Badger, it was like leaving steerage on the Titanic and moving up to First Class, except I'll be able to get off of this boat ride and live to tell about it=:) Seriously though, the Omega is a fine shave brush, but I most certainly feel like I got a ride in a vintage Rolls Royce today

I have a question for those that have and used this and or use similar brushes (other Chubby Best Simpsons?)...what is the proper amount of water to leave in this brush before loading it with a soap (like Tabac), should I have squeezed some or more of the water out of it? IMO, when I shook it to dislodge water, hardly any came out. The water *stayed* in the brush. I've been using mostly Omega 48 Pro boar brushes (and yes, I have more than two=:) My badger brush use is limited. When I started wet shaving in Feb. of this year I started out with a Parker Best Badger and as nice as that brush is (it's way too floppy compared to the Omega boars), I quickly moved to boar brushes (and use the occasional horse hair brush)

Another question...for those that have used this and similar Simpson brushes...is it best to let this brush dry 48 hours before using again or can it (will it) dry in 24 hours so as to be used day after day? I realize my locale may differ from yours (humidity levels and all) but I'm looking for what's worked for others and their routine, using this particular brush

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Another Duke 2 in Best arrived here yesterday, courtesy of Mr Claus. It looks as though he had quite a few on his sleigh! It is my first quality brush and one thing I immediately noticed was the heft of it. I shall use it for today's shave.

Santa brought me a No. 11126 Ovangkol Handle Pure Bristle and the last jar on earth of the Connaught Rose Otto Shaving cream in a huge heavy jar.

HO Ho Ho

Santa wasn't exactly bringing me a brush...Blitzen sure didn't know what was happening when I sheared his coat off.

Anyone else want to try a reindeer brush?

Heck yeah! I love the Vie Long Horsehair, I bet reindeer is great. Hopefully you had the sense to distract him with some sugar cubes to saw off some horn for the handles.....

Top Bottom