What's new

Is the aftershave lotion necesary?

I read somewhere on the internet that the after shave with alcohol is to prevent infections on the skin, but i really dont like to use it because it causes severe redness to my skin, today was worse than ever i remember, i tried the Brut aftershave lotion and i got a serious red face and i had to go to the drugstore to get some medicated cream to calm down my skin and reduce redness (the cream is sensibio).
So the question is: is really necesary for healthy reason use lotion with alcohol.
Because i have better luck with balms like nivea, nomad or even the gillette gel that contains a little bit of alcohol.

I should say that redness dont come with the shave, it comes only if i use a lotion and today especially with that Brut lotion, so i believe is not a technique issue due to the fact that i use almost no pressure and im not getting cuts and nicks.

Regards

Sergio

You don't have to use it at all. If you can get by with Nivea or the others, then skip the lotion. I use Alum, then Witch Hazel, then some Nivea Freeze, then just a splash of either Barbasol Cool Rush or Canoe on my cheeks and neck.

This is a serious case of YMMV. Personally, I prefer a soothing ASB, like Nivea Replenishing. I do apply some Witch Hazel (which has a little alcohol in it) after I shave, then, after it dries, some ASB. If you like Witch Hazel, but not the alcohol, Thayers makes several non-alcohol types. They are very nice.

I doubt that the alcohol in aftershave really prevents infections, but alcohol in high concentrations certainly can irritate the skin, especially newly shaved skin.

Bottom line - use what you like and what likes you.

Te
he last time i went to the US was two months ago and i forgot to buy Thayers Witch Hazel, we dont have that brand here in mexico, we have another brand but its like water doesnt even smell like with hazel, but certainly in my next trip to the US i´m gonna get some thayers to test them. By the way what i did buy was a Crown Shaving Co. after shave, it says lotion but is like a cream in fact, and is a good one. When i use just this one without other alcohol based after shave is a real pleasure.

Thanks Guys

Yeah, try witch hazel (I use Dickenson's which is 14% alcohol and doesn't burn me). I also will often use an alum bar first, then rinse, then pat dry, then witch hazel and pat dry after a moment or two, and lastly, Lubriderm 3-in-1 for men.

I used nothing but cold water after my shaves for 20 years and survived just fine.
I use splashes now because they make me feel good, but they're not mandatory in any ways.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Are aftershave splashes/balms/lotions necessary? No. Do I like using them? Yes. I think it's all up to you.

Required? Absolutely not!

Though when you find what works well for your skin and your skin is healthy you will most likely really like using an aftershave product. To me it is the icing on the cake after a great shave. I wouldn't feel complete if I didn't follow my shave with a mix of AS splash and a moisturizing lotion/balm.

Nothing at all is required after you're done with your shave. Its all a matter of personal preference.

I like to use either an AS or a balm just to finish up and close my pores after my shave. But as you can see using just cold water or witch hazel will also do, as well as doing nothing at all. :wink2: :001_tongu

I usually use an as balm in the wintertime, I never use anything in warm weather except for a cold water rinse.

Top Bottom