What's new

Dr. Selby First Impressions

Anybody know who has stock ? Gifts and care no longer seems to have any.

First visit to this thread and love the bowl and description of the scent.

After all the comments I have to try this. It's just hard for me to get past the radioactive green color. Although I know the video shows it doesn't stay that way but it's still in there. Kind of why I don't use Trumpers. Why the colors?

You guys convinced me to try it. Ordering today.

Looking forward to trying it as well - the bowl is what really grabbed me and then it was a short jump to the fact that I am on the hunt for a summer soap, haven't found a keeper in that department yet.

P.S. I do realize it is the middle of winter in the souther hemisphere but one needs to prepare early if you are a shaving addict

After all the comments I have to try this. It's just hard for me to get past the radioactive green color. Although I know the video shows it doesn't stay that way but it's still in there. Kind of why I don't use Trumpers. Why the colors?

You guys convinced me to try it. Ordering today.

Looking forward to trying it as well - the bowl is what really grabbed me and then it was a short jump to the fact that I am on the hunt for a summer soap, haven't found a keeper in that department yet.

P.S. I do realize it is the middle of winter in the souther hemisphere but one needs to prepare early if you are a shaving addict

Let us know what you think.

Thanks to Craig I am now the proud owner of some Dr Selby,

As described earlier in the thread the scent is nothing like what I would expect lavender to be. Smells like green soap, can pick the green cardamom and egreen some lime milkshake but that may just be the color fooling my brain - all in all a mild green soap cardamom scent is the best description. Would recommend it, from a scent perspective, to those who like Speick or want a milder Irisch Moos scent. Not as cologne smelling as say Arlington. Quite an innocuous scent that disappears quite quickly so doesn't mess with your AS or cologne.

I absolutely love the bowl - which was the main reason for originally trying to get hold of some.

Performance is great, for me it is on par with Speick and Irisch Moos i.t.o. quality of lather and how it leaves my skin. Really easy to make a nice thick creamy lather.

Will keep going for a few days but strongly suspect I will soon be posting to find out how I can get some more....

At the moment it is between Selby and Speick for my main summer soap - Windsor is soon to arrive to see how that compares. (Rest of my favorites are heavier Tabac, Marrakech, Proraso Red)

Thanks to Craig I am now the proud owner of some Dr Selby,

As described earlier in the thread the scent is nothing like what I would expect lavender to be. Smells like green soap, can pick the green cardamom and egreen some lime milkshake but that may just be the color fooling my brain - all in all a mild green soap cardamom scent is the best description. Would recommend it, from a scent perspective, to those who like Speick or want a milder Irisch Moos scent. Not as cologne smelling as say Arlington. Quite an innocuous scent that disappears quite quickly so doesn't mess with your AS or cologne.

I absolutely love the bowl - which was the main reason for originally trying to get hold of some.

Performance is great, for me it is on par with Speick and Irisch Moos i.t.o. quality of lather and how it leaves my skin. Really easy to make a nice thick creamy lather.

Will keep going for a few days but strongly suspect I will soon be posting to find out how I can get some more....

At the moment it is between Selby and Speick for my main summer soap - Windsor is soon to arrive to see how that compares. (Rest of my favorites are heavier Tabac, Marrakech, Proraso Red)

About time someone picked up on the cardamon scent I've been trying to describe. I think I'll use mine tomorrow.

Appeal to any forum member in Uruguay or South American who can get their hands on this and can send it to Europe. Please PM!

The link a previous poster put to someone who ships to Europe doesn't work.

Last edited:
The performance of this soap continues to impress me - super easy to lather and incredibly slick. Still haven't decided between it and Speick - both are soapy type smells and I can't separate the performance. Might have to give it Selby as it has the nice container - but where to get hold of it ? Have tried sending a message via the contact on their website without success - but I did send it in english and not spanish.

The performance of this soap continues to impress me - super easy to lather and incredibly slick. Still haven't decided between it and Speick - both are soapy type smells and I can't separate the performance. Might have to give it Selby as it has the nice container - but where to get hold of it ? Have tried sending a message via the contact on their website without success - but I did send it in english and not spanish.

Contact the folks at razorbladesandmore. The sell it but are currently oos.

Is this slicker than MdC? Cella? Palmolive EU stick?

If it's slicker than properly lathered Cella, count me in.

I've never tried MdC but I would say it's just as good if not better than the others you've mentioned. I love it so much it's the only one I use for long periods of time.

That bowl looks like it would crack in half with a little inadvertent judo chop to the rim.

And the lather is fluorescent greenish?

Maybe if you hit it hard enough, though I bet not easily. Razorbladesandmore gifted this to a member who gifted it to me, and it was very broken sounding. Almost sounded like glass was in there, I figured I would put it in another tub. I open it up and there is a SMALL sliver missing off the top. Hard to break I bet. The box look like it was hit pretty hard, that's minimal damage it seems like.

I resurrected this thread because I didn't see another thread on this, but I just received this soap, I'll give a report as soon as I use it, I'm pretty excited after reading everything here. I guess there is just A LOT of soaps to go through, I never heard of this one, but a quick B&B search brought up a thread :)

Oh man, I've had this soap/cream for months. Got it from Razorbladesandmore.com as well. I think I've used it twice since I have so many creams and soaps to go through. It was phenominal from what I remember. Very easy to build and nice, dense lather. The scent is lavender and is amazing. The green color throws you off a bit, but it's a nice lavender scent. I have quite a few lavender soaps and creams so they tend to not get as much use and some of my other ones.... but I really enjoy lavender and this soap/cream is a great performer. Maybe I should get it out and use it tomorrow morning.

The container has a great look to it.... I just wish it was ceramic or porcelain instead of plastic. Still, very unique and classy looking.

Ben

Ive had mine for a while now. No problems with cracking. Im sure that if I drop it on the tile, it will crack.

This thread inspired me to break out my Dr. Selby's for the first time.
Holy smokes this is some good cream/croap! I would give it a 10 for slickness and 9 for protection. I got explosive, creamy lather after swirling on the puck with my Thater 4125/0 three band after about 30 seconds. I had enough lather for three passes and touch ups.
After one shave, I'm rating this ahead of CF, T&H, and Nancy Boy creams. The scent is ok but nothing special. It smells very similar to TOBS Sandalwood cream to me.

Completely enjoying this product.

Easily lasts one year. Creates lather with minimal effort and provides a nice effortless shave.

All time favorite cream and soap.

Top Bottom