What's new

Dr. Selby First Impressions

Very nice lather and very easy to build up. I've used it a few times. I won't go nuts over the scent, but the rest of the performance reminds me of the French glycerin soaps that perform as well or better than tallow soaps.

Appeal to any forum member in Uruguay or South American who can get their hands on this and can send it to Europe. Please PM!

The link a previous poster put to someone who ships to Europe doesn't work.

Hi i am Uruguayan. Dr. selby is the only shaving cream (tub) sold here. We don't get TOBS, Proraso, Trumper, T&H, etc...nothing!!!
So for Uruguayan wetshavers is the only way to go if you wanto to keep shaving within a budget. Here it's 150 uruguayan pesos wich in dollars is like 6.8
I also use TOBS creams wich i bought during a few travels and i stocked up. Performance wise this cream is more or less on par with TOBs creams in my opinion. I am not so sure about those 400 shaves, seems more like a marketing slogan but sure it's very hard and you don't get to erode it with your brush very easily...The scent...well is mild and doesen't linger, also i agree it as nothing to do with lavender, a had a lavender plant in my previous house so i know exactly what it smells like and this is no it, but......who cares....
All in all a nice cream. Also, they have this Dr. Selby aftershave wich comes in a lovely bottle much in the same fashion as the tub and they complement each other nicelly. The scent fades away easily. i am not good at describing scents but its a classic scent perhaps a bit like Agua Brava by Puig... but i' not sure. My father uses it since i have memory...
Cheers.

I think the cream and the tub are both great.I'm surprised the tub costs almost $7 usd in the country of manufacture,but it does "act" like a good triple milled hard soap...

Hello CRJ driver, ¿probaste la crema?
Did you tried the cream?.
Saludos

Hola!!!, si la probé, tengo dos potes en casa! Vivo a dos cuadras de una farmacia donde la venden, se vende en todo Montevideo.
Es super común y barata acá en Uruguay. Tienen ademas el aftershave de la misma marca, la botella es hermosa y el perfume clásico de barbería.
Hello, yes i tried it! I have two tubs at home. I live two blocks away from a drugstore that sells it, is super common and cheap here in Uruguay. Also i use their afershave, comes in a very pretty glass bottle and has a nice classic "barbershop" smell.
Cheers!

Since first use of my Dr. Selby shaving cream/soap in bowl I am smelling not realy the scent of lavender.
Today I used my Alpa Fougere Eau de Cologne as aftershave and thought I know that scent. Opening my Dr. Selby bowl I have to say that both scents are two of a kind. For me the Dr. Selby cream/soap in bowl smells more like a Fougere and not like a lavender scent.

... Hello, yes i tried it! I have two tubs at home. I live two blocks away from a drugstore that sells it, is super common and cheap here in Uruguay. Also i use their afershave, comes in a very pretty glass bottle and has a nice classic "barbershop" smell.
Cheers!

I live in Buenos Aires, right across the River Plate, so going to Uruguay is not more than an hour long trip by boat. I went to Colonia on a business trip in June 2013, had some spare time so I checked shaving products in the supermarket and, well, compared to Argentina Dr. Selby makes all the difference.

I bought the soap (plus deodorants I use but are unavailable in Argentina, Mennen's Speed Stick). I shaved with the soap every single day since and I still have soap on the bottom of the tube. It lasts forever, it is true, which can be boring... you are eagerly waiting for the day to end it up so you can buy another soap.

I tried the after shave and it smells lavander.

On a trip to Chile (1:45 hours by plane to the West) I had the chance of buying Flaño's shaving soap. They discontinued it. Flaño's smell is great, a citric spicy cologne of the old kind.

So far, that is all you can get in South America's Southern Cone (Uruguay, Argentina and Chile). North of it, nada de nada (nothing at all, except for Gillete's Flare tip me too's from China).

Any one intrerested in a swap?

The tub also sais that its a 3 times concentrated cream. Its very dense and firm, firmer than Italian soft soap. I guess they just don't add much water to it when they manufacture it.

I think it's the opposite; they will press or evaporate water out. I doubt the ingredients would mix well with almost no water, plus it says "concentrated", to concentrate you have to remove something i would think?
Either way, it's good stuff. Not great to me, but good. It lathers very easily, has good glide but it's not the best in the protection department, at least to me. Like the scent and packaging as well.

Top Bottom