What's new

Dr. Selby First Impressions

Has anyone tried the cream in the tube? I've only heard of people using the concentrated cream in the tub.

I have the tube. It smells industrial and cheap, and the lather and performance doesn't impress me that much... Now have in mind I'm no lavender fan, so my comment about the scent is very much YMMV, but nope, I'm not a fan of the Dr.Selby cream in tube so far.

interesting blix, i am very bias sensitive to proclamations as of recently.. that said the tub is interesting to look at... is the tub so translucent that the color of the soap causes the interesting greenish vibe?

Got mine today. Haven't used it yet but I can comment on the tub and scent.

The tub is hard ivory-colored plastic. Seems very sturdy and the top fits on well. It has air holes in the top.

The scent is very fresh and grassy. Kind of in the same vein as Heno de Pravia or Musgo Real but a little fresher....it's very nice, sort of old fashioned and soapy. The "cream" is incredibly concentrated. I'd call this a soap, to be honest. It's harder than Castle Forbes and all the Italian soaps I've used. It should last approximately....eh, forever.

Got mine today. Haven't used it yet but I can comment on the tub and scent.

The tub is hard ivory-colored plastic. Seems very sturdy and the top fits on well. It has air holes in the top.

The scent is very fresh and grassy. Kind of in the same vein as Heno de Pravia or Musgo Real but a little fresher....it's very nice, sort of old fashioned and soapy. The "cream" is incredibly concentrated. I'd call this a soap, to be honest. It's harder than Castle Forbes and all the Italian soaps I've used. It should last approximately....eh, forever.

let us know how it works out for you.

let us know how it works out for you.
Phenomenally. It's thirsty and I used my go-to 57mm loft Omega boar, not dripping wet, but with just a shake after a good soaking. Loaded for 25-30 seconds and got incredibly thick, cushiony, emollient lather. It reminds me of AOS soaps in the way it lathers and the slickness of the foam. This should suit guys with the toughest of beards.

The green dye in the stuff is a bit much, though. I'm not afraid of it staining the brush or anything, but it colors the lather a very faint greenish and drips off when you wet the tub.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Anyone to post a pic with a lathered up brush using this cream, plaese? I'd like to give a look at its consistency.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you for the link, mate. The cream (actually a soap) looks dense and thick, how I like it to be. And the brush was really nicely lathered-up with a lot of soap, a lot of swirls and a lot of water. Sounds somehow familiar to me... :001_cool:

Hey Marco! Not a problem, I actually believe you might really like this soap a lot. It lathers like MdC and shaves like it in IMHO. Since its your all time favorite vegetal soap, you will really like this!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'll certainly try it soon or later. I did check from our friendly Vendor Juan of Gifts & Care and price point seems very good, too.

The MANUFACTURER calls it a 3x concentrated cream. Why do we need to contradict them and call it a soap?

I tried the tub this morning.You can achieve a very thick,comforting lather very easily...The plastic tub is thick enough to be reused many times,and the swirls help it to stay put in wet hands..The scent ? ...Gents,if you are craving a true lavender scent,this one absolutely does not have it.There is zero natural or synthetic lavender scent...None...It smells like arko mixed with palmolive stick from australia , not even the slightest trace of lavender....

To anyone whose ever smelled or had Cardamon , thats what this stuff smells like to me. anyone else get this from it?

This has turned into a favorite since I received it a few weeks ago. A good thick rich lather with excellent shaving qualities and good skin care. The scent, know doubt, will be a YMMV thing but I find it to be a light, fresh soapy smell with a touch of green. The scent has seemed to mellow quickly in the bowl. I like this stuff.

Last edited:
This has turned into a favorite since I received it a few weeks ago. A good thick rich lather with excellent shaving qualities and good skin care. The scent, know doubt, will be a YMMV thing but I find it to be a light, fresh soapy smell with a touch of green. The scent has seemed to mellow quickly in the bowl. I like this stuff.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah I think we all can agree that this is a very good cream. I think it gives many products a run for the money.

That's actually not too far off. The slightly green soapy scent is what I get from it. It's pretty innocuous...I'd be using this more but I have too many other things in the rotation and new soaps/creams. Think I'm gonna try it again later this week.

To anyone whose ever smelled or had Cardamon , thats what this stuff smells like to me. anyone else get this from it?

Top Bottom