What's new

Noob blade PIF reviews

I recently was lucky enough to win a noon blade PIF from Glasstream15, and thought I'd keep a thread with my impressions of each blade as I tried them. Here's what I was sent:

proxy.php

(There are also a few Feathers hidden under the Wilkinson's)

I've been using a DE razor since the beginning of October, and so far have used Derby, Astra SPs, Shark Super Stainless, and the Red Personnas (my favorite thus far). For the sake of consistency I'll be using the same razor, a '62 Slim set at 4 (that's where I'm most comfortable at the moment) and CO Bigelow cream (since I have an almost full tube) for the first shave with each blade. I may switch to a different setting, or razor (only other one I have right now is a '57 Super Speed) or a different soap or cream for subsequent shaves, just so I can keep things interesting.

I used one of the Feathers for my first shave of the series. After reading a lot about them around here, I went into this shave with a little nervousness, fearing the worst for my face. I did my usual three pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) paying VERY close attention to my technique. Once I finished the three passes, and being satisfied with a DFS and not seeing any blood, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the Feather blade. I got a great shave with no irritation, and didn't slice myself open (which is always a plus). So with that, I hope someone enjoys reading this, I'm looking forward to seeing where this thread goes and trying each of the blades that was very generously gifted to me by Glasstream15.

Shaves two and three with the Feathers I kept my setup exactly the same, getting great results both times. I'm pretty happy with the Feather blades, and I can already tell that these will be blades I buy more of.

So far I've tossed blades after three shaves, but I think I can get a few more shaves out of this blade, we'll see how the next couple shaves go.

So I changed my mind about continuing to use the Feather blades, and went with the Wilkinson Sword for my christmas shave. Another great shave with this blade. I did my second shave with the wilkinson on wednesday, this time using my brand new Merkur 34c and Classic Shaving fresh lime glycerin soap. This combo gave me one of the best shaves I've had yet. I was able to do enough passes to get BBS on my entire face and neck. I think this blade and razor combo is a winner for me and might set the benchmark for what I'll compare future shaves to (for the time being, at least).

Shave # 3 with the wilkinson was pretty interesting...decided on the first of the year to shave the circle beard I had been sporting for the past year plus since I went back to school full time. I used the new Merkur again, I really like the weight and feel of that razor. I took my time and was rewarded with a DFS, the Wilkinsons are going on my list of blades to use again, I'm really happy with how they perform.

Today I used an Astra stainless. I rushed my ATG pass, as I received a text saying my get together to enjoy a cigar with friends was being pushed earlier, and I ended up with a couple weepers under my nose and on my chin. Hopefully my next shave won't be rushed and I can get a better idea of how I like this blade.

Shave #2 with the Astra stainless was just as painful as number one. I used some AOS pre-shave oil and put the blade in my '57 SuperSpeed and still had way more weepers than I've been used to seeing. At this point I'm not sure I want to do a third shave with this blade, and just put them in the "not for me" category.

I had a similar experience with Astra Stainless as well, I didn't bother with the second try and just PIF'ed them. I was using C.O. Bigelow in the tube as well and the menthol numbed my neck so I didn't feel how bad the blade was. After I was done my neck was bleeding bad enough that my fiance was worried because the blood was dripping down my neck. Scary things if you ask me.

I wasn't bleeding quite that badly, but it was enough that I didn't want to keep going. I tossed the Astra and went with a Dorco Platinum yesterday. I had one nick at the corner of my mouth, and a weeper under my nose and on my chin. All areas that are relatively new to getting shaved, any bleeding and irritation were gone by the time the Nivea ASB dried. I'm definitely giving this blade another go, and hopefully my technique will continue to get better in some of the problem areas.

The Astra SP's (green pack) is by far the better of the two for me, about the same sharpness but smoother. It's a good standard blade and cheap enough to by a couple of boxes to keep handy.
It's not in my top two of blades (Iridium Super & Personna Med Prep) but definitely top five.

You must have sandpaper skin if you can stand the Dorco's and Wilkinson's I wish I could say that ;) Out of the remaining Astra SP and Sharp are the only good ones imho.

Great reviews Murphy. I'm glad to see you are getting some use out of these blades and your comments on their effectiveness and, for some, lack of effectiveness, sort of mirris my feelings too. Can't wait to see more of your results..

Gaines

Thanks Gaines, I appreciate the chance to try out these blades, I was VERY surprised I liked the Wilkinson's and Freathers so much after some of what I read about them. Once I wrap up trying out each of these blades I'm planning on PIF-ing some of the ones that weren't for me as well as some of my favorites to another noob. :thumbup:

Shave 2 with the Dorco Platinum was with my 34c, and I paid very close attention to my technique and was rewarded with a DFS, no nicks or weepers at all this time. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of my new razor, it seems to suit my technique very well.

Shave 3 with the Dorco Platinum was also with the 34c, why mess with a good thing. Again I really took my time, as I had plenty of it today, and I was able to do enough touch-ups to get a very nice BBS shave. This blade is one that took me by surprise, and it's going on the short list of blades I will buy.

I swapped out blades today and went with the Astra SP. I have used this blade before, but decided to give it another go, as this is the first blade I used that drew blood (I darn near cut off a freckle on my cheek). I went with my standard set-up for my first shave with each of these blades, but dialed the Slim up to 5. I got a great shave, but did draw a little bit of blood on my neck during my touch-up to get to BBS. No styptic was necessary, and the wife noticed my smooth face and fresh Clubman smell when she got home from work. :ladysman:

Shave 2 with the Astra SP was with the Merkur, and this razor/blade combo worked very well for me. I did have some issues with my lather this time around, the Classic Shaving fresh lime soap really thinned out on me for my third and touch-ups, maybe I just stretched it to far and should've gone back to the puck for some more soap. I settled for a DFS, and no blood this time around. After my hot and cold rinses I went with my new M&L Florida Water AS, nice burn that cooled off very fast and it smells great.

Brian, I could not have hoped for better, more thorough reviews. You make me glad that you got those blades. Great job

I wasn't really sure how to review razor blades, so I just wanted to post my experiences and details about my setup each time I shaved. I'm glad I have because it's been really interesting to compare notes and see how the blades perform among my three razors and with my limited selection of cream and soap. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of these blades and I'm really hoping for another surprise like I experienced with the Dorco Platinum.

Shave 3 with the Astra SP was another good one. I kept the blade in my new favorite razor, the Merkur 34c. Went with just the CO Bigelow cream, and was able to do my 3 pass shave plus touchups without running out of lather and no blood or irritation. This is another blade that is going on my "will buy" list. :thumbsup:

Today's shave was with the Sharp Stainless blade. I'm happy with the performance of this blade, no irritation and a BBS face. A splash of M&L Florida Water after the shave and I'm feeling ready for this evenings meet and greet with one of the big four accounting firms.

Top Bottom