What's new

Are Certina any good?

I think i need a diver. Does anyone know much about Certina? I've handled a couple and the seem to have their fans, using ETa mvts, instead of Sellitas, but was hoping for a bit more info before spending on one.

I have a Certina DS-1 auto. Mine has an ETA 2824-2 movement. They are part of the Swatch group so they are fine going forward using ETA movements. I like mine very much, it's the poor man's version of an Omega Speedmaster or a TAG Carrera. Build quality is excellent in my opinion, though I never owned a high end watch above $1000. I think they are excellent value and I'd put them in the same class as Tissot, Hamilton, Mido. Probably the reason they don't exist in the USA (I bought mine from the EU) as that price range is well represented by Tissot and Hamilton (also Swatch brands). Read about their "DS concept" which should bode well for a dive watch.

attachment.php

Funnily enough, the Tag doesn't use an ETA, but an ETA clone, albeit a Swiss one. I think the Omega might do too. I've never been interested enough in Tags to get close to one, but I would be interested to compare the DS Action next to the Tag equiv. If Certina are the poor man's Omega, maybe Tag is the unthinking man's Swiss mechanical?

TAG is not part of the Swatch Group, it is part of LVMH. ETA is part of Swatch and they decided to no longer sell movements outside the Swatch brands. I think there's still a supply of ETA movements out there so we'll continue to see the smaller niche brands (such as Sinn, etc.) still use them for a while, but at some point they'll have to find alternatives.

I like some TAG Aquaracer pieces, check them out, but they are much more expensive than Certina, Tissot, Hamilton, etc. Then there's always Seiko... I like the "Spork" if you have the wrist for it (I don't).

That's right! I forgot about Tag being owned by a handbag maker! I think at the end of the month the supply to other companies will be reduced by 35%, then gradually tail off to nothing over the next few years if no legal action has forbidden it. It's been years coming- they should have got their act together by now! No Sporks in my area. Limited to local shops. I feel like an *** typing this but I just saw an Edifice I really like while out getting groceries! To go from certina diver to Edifice Red Bull Racing Chrono in one day shows how fickle I am(!), though I've still got till the end of the month to make my decision. At least, after the days' searching, I'm confident there's no hidden nasties lurking behind a Certina dial.
BTW, it's the Edifice EF-550-1AV. It looks great in person...kind of like a Tag, would you believe! For 2,290 its not a bad deal at all.

Attachments

• $edifice ef 550 1av.jpg
    $edifice ef 550 1av.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 100
Certina are good quility swiss made watches they are one of the oldest swiss Brands in watch making
Certina Kurth Frères SA is a Swiss luxury watchmaker company founded in Grenchen, 1888, by Adolf and Alfred Kurth, and currently an affiliate company of the Swatch Group.

Top Bottom