What's new

Sandalwood and Patchouli Fragrances?

Hi All,

My sister-in-law is a big fan of Shoyeido's Nokiba incense, which contains sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin and spices, and for Christmas she has asked my wife for a perfume that "smells like the incense." I do not expect any of you to know what it smells like and I doubt I could ever find a match. However, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a sandalwood/patchouli based fragrance. Maybe I can get close.

Any ideas would be most welcome. :wink2:

Thanks!

Poonjaji, just a thought = would Shoyeido have any suggestions? Might contact them. Maybe the question has come up before.

The sandalwood/patchouli combo was one the mainstays of men's frags in the 80s. Three that do it pretty well are Santos de Cartier Concentre, Versace L'Homme, Giorgio For Men.

IMO
The Santos is the most sophisticated
Versace L'Homme the most versatile and best
Giorgio for Men the loudest and strongest

While these all typify a sandalwood/patchouli combation, I don't think they're in the vein youre looking for.

Poonjaji, just a thought = would Shoyeido have any suggestions? Might contact them. Maybe the question has come up before.

Good idea, John. I will contact them.

The sandalwood/patchouli combo was one the mainstays of men's frags in the 80s. Three that do it pretty well are Santos de Cartier Concentre, Versace L'Homme, Giorgio For Men.

IMO
The Santos is the most sophisticated
Versace L'Homme the most versatile and best
Giorgio for Men the loudest and strongest

While these all typify a sandalwood/patchouli combation, I don't think they're in the vein youre looking for.

Thanks, StylinLA. I agree my sis-in-law may be looking for something a bit different...though your suggestions might work for her other half. Won't he be surprised when he opens the Giorgio for Men.... :lol:

Good idea, John. I will contact them.

Thanks, StylinLA. I agree my sis-in-law may be looking for something a bit different...though your suggestions might work for her other half. Won't he be surprised when he opens the Giorgio for Men.... :lol:

Well duh, I misread the post. Its pricey, but Amouage makes an incense scent for women called Jubilation that is awesome. I'm not familiar with the Nokiba, but I think it's probably more of an incense scent you're looking for than sandalwood/patchouli.

Amouage does incense very well.

My suggestion would be Santa Maria Novella's "Amber." My first whiff of this immediately brought to mind incense. You should contact the Dallas office and request a sample. They have excellent customer service. (Note: I requested samples by email, and they provided them at no charge and shipped them via UPS!).

If you can stomach the price, Oud Immortel is a good one. There's no sandalwood, but the incense and patchouli are there. If you register on Byredo's website and fire off an email, they'll send you three free samples.

If you can stomach the price, Oud Immortel is a good one. There's no sandalwood, but the incense and patchouli are there. If you register on Byredo's website and fire off an email, they'll send you three free samples.

+1 on the Oud Immortel. But beware -- it's STRONG. Only 1 spritz is needed, and it'll stick around almost forever.

...at least, that's how it behaves on me!

+1 on Santos. It's a manly frag. I love it, my wife is crazy for it, and quite a few women I've met have commented favorably on it. The concentree is heavy, dark, and musky, and has that sandalwood, patchouli, leather, whiskey, cigar/pipe tobacco mix. If someone knows of a shaving soap that is similar to this frag, I would appreciate a heads-up.

I haven't smelled that incense, but maybe give Givenchy 'Gentleman', or maybe even 'Genltmen Only' a shot. 'Gentleman' has a strong dose of patchouli to my nose, and some other woods. 'Gentlmen Only' is a little more rounded, maybe a little softer. I've only had samples of both, though, but this is what came to mind when "patchouli and sandalwood" was mentioned.

Dior Pathcouli Imperial is the beatiful side of patchouli not the hippy vibe at all. My favorite patchouli.

My go to sandalwoods are Le Labo Santal 33 and Chanel Egoist.

For incense I agree with StylinLA, Amouage know how to do incense. Sonoma Scent Studios has a great incense too, Incense Pure.

Top Bottom