Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sandalwood and Patchouli Fragrances?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    906

    Default Sandalwood and Patchouli Fragrances?

    Hi All,

    My sister-in-law is a big fan of Shoyeido's Nokiba incense, which contains sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin and spices, and for Christmas she has asked my wife for a perfume that "smells like the incense." I do not expect any of you to know what it smells like and I doubt I could ever find a match. However, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a sandalwood/patchouli based fragrance. Maybe I can get close.

    Any ideas would be most welcome.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plattsmouth, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,648

    Default

    Poonjaji, just a thought = would Shoyeido have any suggestions? Might contact them. Maybe the question has come up before.
    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,126

    Default

    The sandalwood/patchouli combo was one the mainstays of men's frags in the 80s. Three that do it pretty well are Santos de Cartier Concentre, Versace L'Homme, Giorgio For Men.

    IMO
    The Santos is the most sophisticated
    Versace L'Homme the most versatile and best
    Giorgio for Men the loudest and strongest

    While these all typify a sandalwood/patchouli combation, I don't think they're in the vein youre looking for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    906
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john parker View Post
    Poonjaji, just a thought = would Shoyeido have any suggestions? Might contact them. Maybe the question has come up before.
    Good idea, John. I will contact them.

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The sandalwood/patchouli combo was one the mainstays of men's frags in the 80s. Three that do it pretty well are Santos de Cartier Concentre, Versace L'Homme, Giorgio For Men.

    IMO
    The Santos is the most sophisticated
    Versace L'Homme the most versatile and best
    Giorgio for Men the loudest and strongest

    While these all typify a sandalwood/patchouli combation, I don't think they're in the vein youre looking for.
    Thanks, StylinLA. I agree my sis-in-law may be looking for something a bit different...though your suggestions might work for her other half. Won't he be surprised when he opens the Giorgio for Men....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poonjaji View Post
    Good idea, John. I will contact them.



    Thanks, StylinLA. I agree my sis-in-law may be looking for something a bit different...though your suggestions might work for her other half. Won't he be surprised when he opens the Giorgio for Men....
    Well duh, I misread the post. Its pricey, but Amouage makes an incense scent for women called Jubilation that is awesome. I'm not familiar with the Nokiba, but I think it's probably more of an incense scent you're looking for than sandalwood/patchouli.

    Amouage does incense very well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    13

    Default

    My suggestion would be Santa Maria Novella's "Amber." My first whiff of this immediately brought to mind incense. You should contact the Dallas office and request a sample. They have excellent customer service. (Note: I requested samples by email, and they provided them at no charge and shipped them via UPS!).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    353

    Default

    If you can stomach the price, Oud Immortel is a good one. There's no sandalwood, but the incense and patchouli are there. If you register on Byredo's website and fire off an email, they'll send you three free samples.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,168
    Images
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    If you can stomach the price, Oud Immortel is a good one. There's no sandalwood, but the incense and patchouli are there. If you register on Byredo's website and fire off an email, they'll send you three free samples.
    +1 on the Oud Immortel. But beware -- it's STRONG. Only 1 spritz is needed, and it'll stick around almost forever.

    ...at least, that's how it behaves on me!
    Evan

Similar Threads

  1. Sandalwood Fragrances
    By Luc in forum Category
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM
  2. Patchouli ?
    By umgowa997 in forum Fragrance
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
  3. mmm patchouli...
    By endcycle in forum Shaving Soaps
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.