What's new

Parker Shavette Help

After bringing only my DE/SEs and no Straights to Afghanistan, I've been kinda jonesing for a straight shave. No sence in buying another setup, when I've got some packed up and waiting for my return. So I've decided to get a Parker Shavette. I'm curious though, what's the difference between the models?

Parker 31R Stainless Steel (SR1)
Parker 32R Chrome Effect (SR2)
Parker 33R Black (SRB)
Parker 34R White (SRW)

The 31, 33, and 34 all appear to be the same, just with different scales. The Stainless Steel Blade Arm looks different between the 31 and 32. Is there any real difference, or is it just in the looks. I see a lot of people recommending one over the others or saying that one is thier favorite, so that made me wonder if there was more to it or not.

I realize I'm probably overanalyzing this decision, I just want to make sure I'm happy with the one I buy.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The metal scales are stamped hollow. I bought the stainless one, and rescaled it after the first shave. Im not sure if the plastic ones are solid or hollow too...shave wise it was fine tho.

From your pictures it would seem that the SR2 is slightly different, but I am sure they will all shave the same. I would say they are all synonymous. I went with the SRW only because it came with 120 Shark blades. I would say get one of the ones with metal scales if you think you would prefer something heavier, and one of the ones with plastic scales if you think you might want one with a lighter feel.

I realize I'm probably overanalyzing this decision, I just want to make sure I'm happy with the one I buy.

Absolutely not! Everyone wants to make the best decision, and what other way than to learn more about what your getting? I wanted to know the same things before I got my Parker.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The stainless are pretty light IMO since they are thin 1/16, MAYBE 3/32 stainless sheet.

The metal scales are stamped hollow. I bought the stainless one, and rescaled it after the first shave. Im not sure if the plastic ones are solid or hollow too...shave wise it was fine tho.

How does it shave ?
I wish it took a longer blade.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For me they shave great! Light touch, no pressure, lots of practice=BBS. My personal belief is the disposable shavette gives easier shave because of the sharp blade- but possibly harder to learn on. Traditional razors, which are slightly less sharp, require more technique to get the same shave- but possibly easier to get up and running on.

I have the SRW and its a bit smaller then the others. I read that in another post somewhere when I was researching the Parkers . It 's 4 5/8 handle 5 1/4 tang to tip and 8 1/4 opened . Shaves nice ... blade is held securely..For $ 13.50 you can't go wrong.

I have the SRW and its a bit smaller then the others. I read that in another post somewhere when I was researching the Parkers . It 's 4 5/8 handle 5 1/4 tang to tip and 8 1/4 opened . Shaves nice ... blade is held securely..For $ 13.50 you can't go wrong.
What is the SRW? Do you have a link?

Where have you seen them this cheap?
What is the SRW? Do you have a link?
The SRW is the Parker with the white (W) scales. It's in my first post.

I have all of the Parker's and like all. I use the SRW the most however because it seems a bit smaller and fits my hand the best of all of them. Other than that all of the Parker's are about the same.

Personally I don't use mine on a regular basis any more - I'll use it for travel but day to day a regular straight is better for me

The SRW works great, and the Shark blades it came with were surprisingly sharp and smooth.

My unloaded Parker was confiscated at customs at Kansai airport....I should get a replacement when I think of it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just look out for the uncommonly smooth shaven Japanese guy when you go through again.

Vez2 ......Qed has them for $13.50 ...with out blades . When I got my first real str8 I couldn't get a close shave , 3 passes wtg and still rough. Anyone have the same experience? I got the razor from Larry at whipped dog and was shave ready.. felt sharp to my thumb ! But I don't know how to compare the two razors ? THe str8 pulled and after a pass ...seemed to leave a lot of stubble. I was careful when I stropped it and it felt sharp to my thumb but still didn't shave well. Today I went back to my srw and got a much closer shave ...any ideas why ? The razor is a John s Holler #77 I know that the machined blades are sharper but how much so ? When I thumbed both they seemed pretty close, with the IP sharper though. Even after 5 shaves with the IP it was much more comfortable then the str8. I almost feel like staying with the srw . On the other hand ....when I use the IP for the first couple of times ...YOU gotta be careful ...pay attention ...that baby's unforgiving !!! Any info from you guys would be helpful . Was it shave ready ? seemed so to me ! By the way Larry was a pleasure to deal with ....very helpful.... maybe I should give him a call ....but I don't think he's in business to answer every newbees ???????? My technique is pretty good , about 3 weeks into str8's . So again how sharp is sharp and how different are the two different kinds of razors......what should I expect from a real str8 ?

If you stropped it before using it then that might be the problem. If you've never used a straight before its recommended to not strop a shave ready blade, it might roll the edge and dull it.
A real straight will have a much different feel than a DE blade in a holder like the Parker. Once you get the correct angle down, a real, properly honed and stropped razor is so much better than the shavettes.

I have traveled with the white Parker and it works fine. You can put any DE blades in it, just break them in half lengthwise while in the paper. There are other razors that are similar. less expensive, and seem to be made about the same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barber-Shav...=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item5d30e3c5ab. I ordered one of these for the $10, but it has not come yet. These shavettes do not have either the feel, oomph or shave of a regular straight, but IMO have their own appeal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom