What's new

Journal, Log, Spreadsheet, Notes, what do you keep?

Since I am still new to all this and am finally at a point where I can start experimenting, I found I need to keep track of my travels through a white foamy field of soaps and creams, then down the sharp slicing trail of blades. I have read a few threads kept on here as a journal of sorts, seen discussions of excel spread sheets, and heard of marker notes on the mirror. I don't have a big collection and and am more interested in finding my great every day shave combination rather than to keep accumulating product.

For me a simple hand-written journal in a moleskine notebook is the best way to combine multiple interests into one. I am learning a new script, so writing by hand is useful. I also collect fountain pens, so using them justifies having them. I simply take notes every time I trash a blade of how it performed over its life of a few days. I try to change only one thing at a time per blade, so I don't have a huge amount to write. Trying to figure out a good combination of my 2 razors, 6 brands of blades, and 5 soaps/creams. I use only one brush, and only bowl lather so water and time are the only varibles.

So, what do you use and what do you use it for?

My most recent entry, from yesterday.

proxy.php

-Xander

Kudos on learning to write in cursive! Help to keep it alive.
My mother took a penmanship course as a young girl and she has always taken pride in her elegant writing.
Too bad this is an almost lost art.

Very nice way to combine your interests.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I keep a counter on my shave soaps and straight razors. I have a spreadsheet that I fill to get an average on how many shaves I get per straights (I always shave the same way, strop the same way and use the same stones)...

I also have a shave journal here on B&B that was very helpful when I started straight shaving...

When evaluating blades for a particular razor, I use a spreadsheet to track my shaves with various blades, scoring each shave in terms of closeness/longevity, subtracting points for nicks/cuts/weepers that were not obviously to blame on technique and/or doing something stupid. I rotate through several of each blade, three shaves per blade, and after a while I get a pretty good idea of which blades are best suited for that razor and me!

I don't use anything, I just know what works! I've got a few straights that perform more or less the same as they're all coticule honed and finished on crox and feox and I only use 1 brush, 1 soap and a couple of aftershaves. I think my fairly minimalist setup is a rarity on here

I keep a pretty basic spreadsheet to help me track blade performance in my various razors, and, in the case of the adjustables, the dial settings. I prefer qualitative over quantitative data, so I just issue a few numerical grades and fill in the rest with commentary.

I print out a blank Outlook calendar for each month and use a magnet to hold it on the back of the mirror on my medicine cabinet. On the corresponding day I list the type of blade and # of shaves with that blade so far, the brush I'm using, name of the soap/cream and the quality of the shave. At the end of the month I tally the number of times I use a particular soap/cream and enter that info in a spreadsheet to keep a running total of the number of shaves to finish a product. I also note what blade/razor combos are good and not so good.

I originally used a database program in my iPod for blade comparisons. Now that I've settled on blades, I just experience the shave!

Very nice hand, by the way.

Someone should create a wetshaving application for the iPad. I've been using a handwritten spreadsheet but I'm going to automate the process using the software program (Bento) on my Apple computer.

Kudos on learning to write in cursive! Help to keep it alive.
My mother took a penmanship course as a young girl and she has always taken pride in her elegant writing.
Too bad this is an almost lost art.

Very nice way to combine your interests.

Thanks, I have been printing for a long time, having been a mechanical drafter. I have been practicing daily for almost a month now. I had to completely start over, I couldn't even remember how some letters were shaped!

I don't use anything, I just know what works! I've got a few straights that perform more or less the same as they're all coticule honed and finished on crox and feox and I only use 1 brush, 1 soap and a couple of aftershaves. I think my fairly minimalist setup is a rarity on here

That is the whole point for me, to find what works and stick with it. I don't want to accumulate enough supplies t open my own store, just want to find what the best is for me.

I originally used a database program in my iPod for blade comparisons. Now that I've settled on blades, I just experience the shave!

Very nice hand, by the way.

Sounds as if your record keeping has worked for you!

Thanks! I have been writing cursive for only a month, but it seems to be coming along pretty well. Still a long way to go!

-Xander

When I started wet shaving, whenever I'd get a new razor I'd put a blank index card in the bathroom with a pencil and I'd record what blade and angle the razor preferred.

I think you're right. Why complicate such a pleasurable thing with minutia...

I journal my shaving related thoughts here. Most of my ideas are in my head, but it got to the point where I thought why not document them somewhere (tried the spreadsheet, didn't enjoy it) and why not share it. So there it is. I love the way OP journals, neat script! I use a moleskine for other journalling - just not shaving related stuff.

Top Bottom