What's new

Best Shavette

This thread came just in time for me since a shavette and a slant are the next two items on the list of things I want to try before inevitably going "straight" as my preferred method of shaving.

I've tried a Parker SR1, which took about the same, and is noticeably heavier than the sanguine, then moved on to the non-folding Artist Club SS. When you get used to them, they can all give fantastic shaves, but the Feather is miles ahead of the others in terms of quality (imo).

+1 and so is the Kai Captain

I had purchased a $1 shavette for my first experiments into "straight-like" shaving about six months back. I found it difficult to manipulate around curves due to the the flatness and slipperiness of the polished tang. The shavette used to rotate uncomfortably (sometimes without warning) between my fingers which could very easily prove lethal during a shave.

I therefore cut a few grooves (jimps) (see Image) into the top and bottom edge in an attempt to improve grip. It helped marginally. But it was far from satisfactory.

$IMAG0008.jpg

During one shave at that stage I managed a large nick on my left cheek, (largely due to my lack of control on presssure and angle) that has persisted as a scar till today. It is a painful reminder every day I shave, that I need to be meticulous and focussed, or to simply put down the razor till I manage compose myself. Women and children darting around in the foreground / background are an unwelcome distraction that can easily leave a mark in red, many a time.

The shavette was put away for a few months since my newly acquired, shiny little toy had arrived in the form of a Merkur Futur. In time I had mastered it and was running it fully open at 6.5 using a Feather blade. I suddenly needed a new challenge in the form of a new skill to acquire. (We men shall always be boys, wont we?) So the shavette managed to see the light of day again.

I have always been inspired by the Japanese Kamisori style designs, where there are no scales to interfere with your clear vision of the site of action, nor to physically interfere in the process. ( I do shave with my reading glasses on, and the scales don't like them since they always seem to block their path).

The Inoue Tosuke design took my fancy. (See Image below)

$Tosuke010.jpg

I therefore decided to alter my standard shavette further to make it easier to grip between the fingers and manoeuvre around the jawline using the Inoue Tosuke as a design inspiration.

I drilled out the pin and removed the scales intact in case they would be needed in future.

I took a knive with a suitable looking handle, and took an impression (mould) of it in Alginate. (The yellow / pink material that dentists use to take a mould of your teeth). Self polymerizing Acrylic resin was poured into the mould and the shavette set into it allowing for 1 1/2 " of tang length from the heel to be left exposed (Images 1, 2) to allow the flexing required to load and eject the blade. (The two halves were being permanently locked into place and shall not rotate anymore)

Using my hand to grip the unfinished handle both ways, (i.e. thumb towards edge and index finger towards edge) the handle was marked and contoured with depressions for the thumb and fingers. (See Images)

$IMAG0139.jpg$IMAG0012.jpg

Finally I ground it smooth, sandpapered it and buffed it to a reasonable finish and shine.

$IMAG0006.jpg

The handling has improved immensely. The shavette can be rotated between my thumb and fingers in a very controlled and reliable manner now without any signs of slipping. Time to test drive it.

On my first attempt, I managed a BBS with a two pass on my cheeks and neck. I never expected to even attempt ATG much less complete it. This far exceeded my expectations with a shavette at this stage. My tail was up, a little prematurely though, as I moved to the more challenging sections of the face with my hands beginning to tremble a little.
The chin experienced some tugging, and on persevering I managed a very small nick.
Discretion being the better part of valour (especially with anything involving a sharp blade) I decided to quit for the day. I completed the chin and upper lip with my Merkur Futur set at 6.5 with an Astra Superior Platinum blade.

I need to now find a suitable case for my baby. Currently I have to eject the blade when I need to put it away for the day.

Personally I would recommend newbie shavette wannabes like me to use an aggressive DE razor like the Futur at full open (or a slant bar) for a couple of months to get the feel of an unprotected sharp blade on your skin and the pressure control required to achieve a nick-free BBS shave. This will make the transition to a shavette much easier.

Straight razors are banned in India and hence it is unlikely that I shall be ever able to get one through Customs. Hence the shavette remains my only hope of "straight-like" shaving and I intend to make the most of it and definitely not quit my effort without a fair and extensive trial.

These are my experiments that may or may not work for you. As is usual YMMV.

parker sr21 is my choice, it holds the blade well and doesn't break the bank!!, i can't see the point of spending much more on a replaceable blade razor, you may as we bite the bullet and go for a traditional straight!!
Out of curiosity, what other Shavettes have you tried? Maintaining a Straight is not for everyone, I think mine went rusty :tongue_sm

Top Bottom